UKBouldering.com

Board weight (Read 2570 times)

Alex Smurthwaite

• addict
  • "If you don't let go, you can't fall off !" Jerry
Board weight
October 01, 2017, 07:51:53 pm
My board is secured with 4 chains with expansion bolts into a solid stone wall. I want to start filling in the gaps between t nuts. But I'm cautious of putting to much weight through the bolts. Anyone got experience of chain secured boards with loads of holds. Cheers

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1 Re: Board weight
October 01, 2017, 09:21:05 pm
You're worried about the extra weight that the actual holds will put on the board?  I'd be much more worried about the load when you do any dynamic moves! 

I.e. if it's strong enough to climb on, an extra few holds isn't going to make a hoot of difference.

Alex Smurthwaite

• addict
  • "If you don't let go, you can't fall off !" Jerry
#2 Re: Board weight
October 01, 2017, 09:55:59 pm
You're worried about the extra weight that the actual holds will put on the board?  I'd be much more worried about the load when you do any dynamic moves! 

I.e. if it's strong enough to climb on, an extra few holds isn't going to make a hoot of difference.

Good point. Although the thought of being crushed underneath my board isn't hugely appealing so im being cautious  :lol:

webbo

• forum hero
#3 Re: Board weight
October 02, 2017, 08:29:01 am
When taking mine down recently,  I could not get out one screw on one of the 8' x 4' sheets. It held body weight and that's not 8 stone wet through body weight. ;D

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Board weight
October 02, 2017, 02:04:25 pm
When taking mine down recently,  I could not get out one screw on one of the 8' x 4' sheets. It held body weight and that's not 8 stone wet through body weight. ;D

Likewise the school campus board took only 5 screws to come crashing to the ground and there were some big units who used that!

My board is secured with 4 chains with expansion bolts into a solid stone wall. I want to start filling in the gaps between t nuts. But I'm cautious of putting to much weight through the bolts. Anyone got experience of chain secured boards with loads of holds. Cheers

Into blocks within a stone wall (size blocks? size anchor? etc.).

If you're at all worried why not just add more? Alternatively download Hilti PROFIS and satisfy yourself as to the capacity of your anchor system.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal