UKBouldering.com

Weird finger problem (Read 1506 times)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Weird finger problem
September 27, 2017, 11:22:49 am
I know, another finger injury thread, sorry.
Odd one though I think.

I have discomfort around my PIP joint but it doesn't really hurt while I climb (although I'm sure that is the cause so I'm taking it easy a bit at the moment), instead it's when I put pressure on my palm.

I can feel a bit of tenderness if I prod a finger quite hard into the pictured circle.
But the odd thing is that if I press on the X drawn on my palm I feel it around the PIP, this can be set off by holding onto a bar or a weight. Also running water onto it, vibration from an electric toothbrush and even zips can irritate it.
Anyone had anything similar or have any ideas what it could be?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Weird finger problem
September 27, 2017, 11:52:08 am
Not experienced this exactly but a small nerve in the hand might refer pain to the area you mention.

The proper palmar digital nerves run from your x down the side of the finger at more or less the tender spot you describe adjacent to the PIP joint. If the nerve was a little sensitive in the palm, the trivial events you mention could easily provoke symptoms further down the course of the nerve. Could you have bruised the palm a little recently? 

If it's this, it should recover in 4-6 weeks. Climb normally if it's not making it any worse.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 11:59:18 am by duncan »

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#2 Re: Weird finger problem
September 27, 2017, 12:29:54 pm
Cheers duncan, I can't remember bruising my palm but it's possible while arresting a fall or something. 
This sounds possible but it's been going on for a little longer than 4-6 weeks though, back to July I think.
Recently had three whole weeks off climbing (which I appreciate is a short time for finger injuries) while on holiday which made no difference, it was exactly the same when I started again.  Although I was convinced it was a just a PIP problem previously and have just been massaging it and avoiding harsh crimping, only noticed that it was pressure on the palm that set it off the last few weeks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal