UKBouldering.com

Kentmere or Carrock (Read 2696 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Kentmere or Carrock
September 15, 2017, 02:04:33 pm
I've a day tomorrow with no wife or baby. I was going to go and have a big day on the moors but they're busy shooting little birds up there so am thinking about a first day bouldering in the Lakes.

Which would a Lakes first timer be best off going to tomorrow? Carrock or Kentmere? I'd quite like somewhere with a decent concentration of problems between 6C and 7B. I'll probably be on my tod so good landings are important. The thing that's swinging it to Kentmere for me at the moment is that I've heard Carrock is quite sharp. Is it not that bad?

Also, it would be logistically more convenient if there was somewhere nearby that I could doss - pitching late and leaving early. Anybody know of such a spot? Nearby café for brekky and coffee and poo a must.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#1 Re: Kentmere or Carrock
September 15, 2017, 02:07:41 pm
Another consideration is that I'm climbing like shite at the moment so it would be helpful if the climbs weren't all totally nails for the grade :)

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Kentmere or Carrock
September 15, 2017, 02:49:18 pm
Depends on weather too.... kentmere is more sheltered - personally I'd go for Carrock.

TBH if I had the option I'd go to either Thorn for the day or Ysgo... for me both full day outings and both brilliant.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#3 Re: Kentmere or Carrock
September 15, 2017, 03:04:43 pm
Depends on weather too.... kentmere is more sheltered - personally I'd go for Carrock.

TBH if I had the option I'd go to either Thorn for the day or Ysgo... for me both full day outings and both brilliant.

Oooooo. I hadn't even considered Thorn. I even have some mates nearby I could potentially crash with.
The problem is that it's on a grouse moor. Do any locals have knowledge of whether they'll be shooting tomorrow?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 03:12:09 pm by Will Hunt »

dave

#4 Re: Kentmere or Carrock
September 15, 2017, 03:04:54 pm
Carrock is no more sharp than your average grit crag, and in many cases a lot less sharp, some of the stuff like like swiss granite/gneiss. There's shit loads to do there and a lot of stuff doesn't need tons of mats or spotters.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Kentmere or Carrock
September 15, 2017, 03:13:28 pm

Oooooo. I hadn't even considered Thorn. I even have some mates nearby I could potentially crash with.
It's not on a grouse moor is it?

It's in the Lancs guide and/or there used to be a lakesbloc topi you could download. May be on the new lakesbloc site - no idea.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#6 Re: Kentmere or Carrock
September 15, 2017, 03:26:07 pm
That's weird. I was considering driving up to the lakes early tomorrow for 2 days as the weather looked way better up that way. Kentmere was an idea too to have a gander at tourniquet (any idea if this may be dry would be boss). Forgot about carrock too, I imagine it dries quite well too?

May have to meet up Will  :2thumbsup:

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#7 Re: Kentmere or Carrock
September 15, 2017, 03:34:26 pm
That's weird. I was considering driving up to the lakes early tomorrow for 2 days as the weather looked way better up that way. Kentmere was an idea too to have a gander at tourniquet (any idea if this may be dry would be boss). Forgot about carrock too, I imagine it dries quite well too?

May have to meet up Will  :2thumbsup:

It would be great to see you again Rich. You'd have to forgive me climbing like crap. Combination of post-baby/early-season/mid-guidebook lack of mileage. Let me know where you plan on going (you can drop me a PM on facebook).

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#8 Re: Kentmere or Carrock
September 15, 2017, 07:29:39 pm
Have sorted accommodation near Lancaster so it's Thorn Crag for me if anyone's around.
If there's shooting going on I'll probably head up to Kentmere.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal