UKBouldering.com

UKB Power Club 393 4th - 10th September 2017 (Read 9396 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
UKB Power Club 393 4th - 10th September 2017
September 10, 2017, 06:39:52 pm
11.5-6

M. PM Warm and muggy with Ben. Ben wanted to do gorilla warfare so obliged by heading there as it was his birthday treat. Condensed to fuck. Headed across to Gardoms. Despite being more exposed still wet under Marks Roof 7B Too warm to hang the slopers on the finish so tried the original 7A. Got to flake but kneepad I'd randomly put on had slipped so couldn't bend leg. Big effort next go and got matched on flake with hip on slab but too busted to seal the deal. Crap connies but still managed to have fun

T. PM Foundry Wave. They hadn't quite finished the wave reset when I arrived but all available after 20mins. Did a few level 2's though fell off right at the top of the tough fluoro yellow just left of centre

W. Full day in Manc then drove to Lakes for the Area meet. Stopped up with Karl T

T. Weather shit so worked in morning. Went to Eden Rock wall in Carlisle with Karl T for a couple of hours before heading over to NE Area meet. Nice palce. Had a natter with Dan Varian about hold stabilisation. Then went to NE Area Meeting. Got back to Sheff at midnight 

F.

S. Dreadful weather. Headed out to Peak more in hope than expectation. Crag X in good nick and stayed that way despite virtually continuous rain. Worked Zippy's Traverse 7A+ and then fell off after the crux a few times then managed to get it just before tiredness set in

S.  AM Anston with boys. Had made a pact with Ben that we'd stay at Woodys if it was in nick. It was. 2nd session on Ben's proj Soul Crusher 7C+ Got to go for slot from start three times. Some useful beta from Andy B makes the rail match much easier. My proj too now.

Good week. Oak wet apparently. Kind of relieved

36chambers

• forum hero
M:
T: Indoors. 30 board, can't quite remember what I was trying but it was probably crimpy.
W:
T: Indoors. 30 board, small crimp problems, it's all about the ratty crimps these days, managing big moves of them is very satisfying. Fingers are feeling strong. Been avoiding the 50 as it feels like too much effort, which most probably means I should get back on it. 
F: Cliff, evening hit. Enjoyable easy circuit, then managed to climb Demonist (DWR to big crimp then traverse left to DW crack) by reversing Stu's Left, I don't know whether this is what you're suppose to do, but the sequence is excellent regardless.
S: wet
S: Ilkley. Climbed The Pinch 7B on the calf and managed Chariots of Fire Eliminate 7B+. Got to same high point on Bernie the Bolt 7B+ and still unsure how to get to the side pull under the top jug. Climb 3 More Reps 7B+ to the similar point of not getting to said side pull. Figured all the moves for the 7B+ traverse apart from two in the middle (basically how to get to the massive jug). My sequence reading skills must really suck. Still I'm enjoying pissing around on this piece of rock. 5 sets of 5 on 5 off x 6 repeaters when I got home. Small BM2K edge and 2 finger pockets.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 07:29:22 pm by 36chambers »

Wood FT

• forum hero
Nice on Zippy's Simon, surely moffatrocity should be a proj of yours?

STG: 8a
MTG: 8a+
LTG: Mecca

Mon -
Tue -
Wed - Ansteys with Steph and Theo, crap tides put paid to dws. Met Toby D at Empire Wall who impressed me yet further with his ability to not throw for holds, good to see him pumped to his eyeballs at the top. Put the clips in Leather Whip Mick and did it next go with an exciting cut loose at the top, I really enjoyed this route, this contrived lineless hot piece of class. I reckon it's 8a, some locals do not, fuck 'em.
Thu -
Fri -
Sat - Bolt workshop at Churston with Dan BMC, lots of rain but all had a good time and a merry band of equippers set up for much-needed work down here. Torbyran late pm, redpointed Threadbare LH, what a top move! 7b+ but I'd suggest 7c (well I would wouldn't I?). South West meet in the evening, watched James Mann's film on the 50th-anniversary ascent of Moonraker with Pat Littlejohn and Pete Biven's granddaughter, charming film with real soul, deserves accolades at Kendal Film Fest.

Sun - Brean, pissed it down, but before we ran away had a dog on Black Snake Moan and Storm Warning Variation, both apparently soft at 8a though they feel hard enough to me. Didn't like the style of BSM much and preferred what new moves there are on SWV, my gf has a project here so will have a proper go next time. Pint in a horrid pub on the way out, I thought it would be like Louis Theroux but it was just shite.

fried

• forum hero
M - Rest
Tu - Indoors, I remember nothing, probably an average session
W/Th - Nothing
Fr - Indoors, tired, climbed like crap, couldn't get off the ground on a couple of problems that I had wired before. No idea why.
Sa - busy, busy
Su- Yr. no's weather report for the forest looked O.Kish. Should have dried out after a lot of rain. Drove towards Cul de chien, changed my mind and went to Gorge aux chats, didn't even bother going further than the car pârk, everthing was damp and it was just starting to rain. Drove home in a foul mood.....more tired than foul to be honest.

kelvin

• forum hero

Su- Yr. no's weather report for the forest looked O.Kish. Should have dried out after a lot of rain. Drove towards Cul de chien, changed my mind and went to Gorge aux chats, didn't even bother going further than the car pârk, everthing was damp and it was just starting to rain. Drove home in a foul mood.....more tired than foul to be honest.

I'm thinking of sacking off Spain until January and heading to 'bleau for month in November - soon as I know what I'm up to, I'll give you a shout.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams

Su- Yr. no's weather report for the forest looked O.Kish.

French sites gave an accurate forecast rather than what you wanted to read?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Back to it after 3 week break:

M - post holiday weigh-in, put on less than a kilogram. Result.
T nowt
W nowt
Th - Moat - bit rusty. Done in after 4 tie-ins.
F - set out to do 10 laps of my moderate (7aish) circuit, failed in the fifth. 
Bit of TRX.
S Lot of pain
S tried to do AeroCap but couldn't get going even for that (nothing to do with a hangover of course)

Not the week back I planned, was hoping to get 4-5 sessions in but, life.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
surely moffatrocity should be a proj of yours?

For sure. Intended working the drop down move on it but Zippy's took it out me

fried

• forum hero

Su- Yr. no's weather report for the forest looked O.Kish.

French sites gave an accurate forecast rather than what you wanted to read?

Yr.no is usually fairly accurate.....French weather sites are characteristically moody and pessimistic

fried

• forum hero

I'm thinking of sacking off Spain until January and heading to 'bleau for month in November - soon as I know what I'm up to, I'll give you a shout.

Sounds good  :2thumbsup:

joel182

• obsessive maniac

I'm gonna be in Bleau from next Weds, hoping to stay out there for a while (until the end of October?) lemme know if you fancy climbing some time!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Power Club

Mon - BM max, back3, front3. Very promising, felt quite good. The magic of having only 25 degrees. Snatch pulls from ground, 5 x 3 46 kg. Dumbbell complex. It's good to be back on track.
Tue - rest.
Wed - Javorek complex, power. 2 x 2, 3 x 3 46 kg. Amazing.
Thu -  boxing bag. Terribly hot and humid. Again.
Fri - rest. Forearm DOMS.
Sat - board climbing. Terrible. 24 degrees, 50% humidity. Rack pulls up to 138 kg x 3. Good.
Sun - rest.

Good week apart from th board. Terrible, the worst half session in ages. Wanted to get back into it but chose the wrong test: one foot bouldering wit 8 kg. Felt strong on the singles, but boy was I poor on the link. Fired off from holds a couple of times, no skin, no body control, no nothing. Sliced two fingers, also. Cut my losses with rack pulls (from just under knee height). Good choice, I felt them in my upper back and core.
Must address the board with a lot of patience. It was a shame because I really felt strong on the single moves.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
. Pint in a horrid pub on the way out, I thought it would be like Louis Theroux but it was just shite.

Need to get to the excellent torbryan pub at some point, or the cider bar!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Basically a pretty shit week. Not been able to do much, other than the lovely day at ansteys holding guy's rope, and a few sub hour long visits to the bunker (cheers Matt!) I think Monday was the only night I actually slept for more than 3-4 hours

yetix

• forum abuser
STG: resolve finger issues (seem to be improving) and start training properly again
MTG: Captain Hook, Bovine, Electrical Storm
LTG: Brad Pit, and la Fuente (stand)

66kg

M: Physio - discovered I refuse to engage my serratus anterior
T: Depot Manchester, worked 2 more purples and pinging off the last move consistantly on another yellow - should go fresh
W: fingerboarding (repeaters) front 3 + pinch blocks + 4 finger.  Weights, shoulder press + Conditioning
T: Depot Manchester, volume session. worked through most of the reds focusing on climbing open handed (stupidly tried to full crimp on one problem which was a little painful)
F: Rest
S: campussing session
S: Wrights rock, Churnet came of the match for simple simon (felt tired) + fingers (top was pretty wet). fingerboarding (repeaters) front 3 + pinch blocks repeaters . + Weights, shoulder press + Conditioning (TRX) + Run

Wood FT

• forum hero
. Pint in a horrid pub on the way out, I thought it would be like Louis Theroux but it was just shite.

Need to get to the excellent torbryan pub at some point, or the cider bar!

Yep, keen for the ghost pub

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
Have sorted out a few things to allow me to train with more regularity (primarily finishing building a board in the garden), so I thought I'd jump into power club.

Weight: 69kg

STG: Train more regularly, sub-45 min 10k in training, climb outdoors more
MTG: Sub-90 min half marathon, 7A something
LTG: TBC

M: First session on the garden board. Did a few warm-up problems and played around.
T: Rest. Applied for half-marathon in March.
W: Second board session. Figured out a couple of easier problems to add to the warm-up. Played around trying to figure out some harder things to have a go at.
T: Run. First proper run for a while, easing back in to it. Went out for just over 20 mins. Didn't log distance/pace but felt reasonable.
F: Board session. Did warm-up problems and worked at a few other things.
S: Rest.
S: Installed some rubber matting under the board. Went for a run. Took the GPS this time. Did 6k at 4:18/km average pace.

Good week. Felt weak on the board in general but that was to be expected given I've hardly done anything recently. Committed to doing a half-marathon in March which will give some impetus to the running. First couple of runs have gone ok, just need keep at it and build the distance slowly.

Need to add some strength/conditioning/injury prevention exercises into the mix to keep the usual niggles at bay. Also need to work on flexibility as it's woeful at the moment.

T_B

• forum hero
M - Lunch run (stopped due to hamstring/glute/hip problem)
T - Autobelays - 5, 6b+, 6c, 6b+, 7a+, 7a (finally) x 2, 6b+, 6c. Gave feedback to Gav about the blobs on the campus board. Talked through a way of sorting it out so that the middle set of rungs was no longer redundant due to lack of elbow room. He said he's add it to the list!
W - Baslow - 4 problems on Eagle Stone, Leftworld (not done before), Heroes LH (flash). Tried Flatworld sitter. Great to do mileage.
T - Autobelays - 11 x 6b - 6cs.
F - Wave pulling. New set. L2s and 3 x black, 1 x black/yellow flashed. Could feel finger afterwards.
S - Foundry en famille. Did some lock offs on the bar and a few press ups on the rings.
S - Curbar after it started raining on arrival at Stanage. Nearly diverted to the Tor. Stuff on the block and repeats of Gorilla Warfare etc. Did GW there and back. Had a few goes trying to repeat Hurricane.

Enjoying grit mileage.
Laying off running until leg is sorted.
Going to do some strength work this wk, as well as autobelays. Left shoulder now seems to be sorted. Can lock off (briefly) on a bar with left arm for first time since March.

Bradders

• forum hero
STG - Tourniquet and get back on Ebola at some point
MTG - week off in October and two weeks off before Christmas. Hoping to finish off a couple of grit projects, notably Jason's Roof at Crookrise, Tourniquet at Kentmere and Low Rider at Stanage
LTG - too many projects to list here.

M - day off, utterly terrible weather so took the dog for a walk round Brimham before heading to the Cliff. I really hate Demon Wall Roof. Small holds just aren't my thing. Repeated all the standard stuff then tried Stu's Left and DWR left to no avail. I blame heat and high humidity. Had a few goes on Pistol Whip but the sun was out by that point and it was boiling. Repeated Crucis and a load of easier things to finish.
T - rest
W - Almscliff again. Much better connies. Sadly my skin was far too thin for DWR left but still made progress with four taped tips! Then went to the Depot, flashed one new yellow and did another second go. Soft as.
T - gym, cable exercises working on chest, then squats. Need to improve my form on the latter.
F - rest
S - 40 minute run in the morning, no idea how far
S - Depot, tried loads of yellows and have now done 4 over two sessions. Also flashed a few purples. Session fitness definitely improving.

Duma

• forum hero
Goals:
Fix shoulder
More 8A's
8b

Body Audit: Left shoulder feeling ok, restricting myself to rehab and 6 or below for now, think will start some ring stuff this week.
Sleep: Average to poor
71kg.

M:
T: TCA, shoulder rehab and all the oranges feeling pretty knackered form weekend still
W: Nothing.
T: TCA, new mothership set, couldn't bear another rep of the oranges so got stuck in - short session and only did one hardish thing but nice to try hard for once. Could feel shoulder after but not bad. Shoulder rehab. Pick up new van!  :bounce:
F: Nothing, daughter for weekend
S: TCA with daughter, did some blues (6A ish) while she climbed
S: Nothing.

still knackered from last few weeks of debauchery, plus lots of admin stuff around vehicles taking up time and stress. Pleased shoulder seemed to survive Thursdays session though.

tomtom

• forum hero
Some good entries. Well done Shark. Did you do it the proper way? ;)

M > We Full on Conference shizzle. Barely enough time to sleep let alone anything else...

Th: Depot with TTjnr in the morning... Very creaky, but managed a decentish work out eventually... He's nearly walking now - and when that happens my days of being able to plonk him on the mats at the wall will be over.... Later that day he got ill - and after an out of hours GP experience (through the private provider in some dank part of MRI) it turns out the tonsillitis he had last week had not been defeated by the AB's... Drove to three 24 hour chemists until we found one with the right drugs...

Fri: Wedding anniversary day... nice country walk and posh pub lunch was the plan... ill child meant a revision to lunch only - which took ages to arrive meaning the boy had eaten and had nothing to do (except mess about) when our food arrived... anyway....

Sa: Looking after TTjnr again - as MrsTT had a work training day.

Su: Awarded a pass out. SHIT WEATHER. GRRRRRRR. Anyway, went to Rubicon... very creaky - gone backwards on The Press - could barely pull on for a second.. fucked about on it for a while, then did the start to White Bait for the first time - which I quite enjoyed... went home and cooked a chicken.

A week dominated by a poorly child..  I need to do more training (which started today on the 30 at the depot..)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Some good entries. Well done Shark. Did you do it the proper way? ;)

What are the rules?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
M - big yellow gym - warmed up with pullups on jugs (they have holds bolted on to a couple of pull up rigs!) pressups, dumbell complex and interval runs - then on to the main event, 4 x complex sets of pullups, pressups and below bodyweight trap bar deadlift - gasping for air at the end of each set - legs are the weak link

T - warm up routine on home slopers board - legs aching from gym

W - back to big yellow gym before work - more of the complex sets - fun
got measured/weighed - gained a cm in height, but put on a lb, so BMI remains same, but fat content measured lower

eve - herding an army of small boys at Beavers

Th - Climbing Works in between early shift and late shift at job work - climbing a bit meh, but Joe Healey and Matt Saunders turned up and provided motivation (piss taking etc) to crack on - managed to do a few things that pleased me

F - helping herd medium sized army Beavers and Cubs using a variety of disability aids on the streets of Sheffield - may have broken a rib laughing so hard

Sa - mini works with the lad - saw Al Williams in his car while we drove there, good local tick - fingers and toe joints were bad and I forgot to take drugs before setting out - found a couple of joint friendly low 6 murples to do reps on

Su - D I Y

tomtom

• forum hero
A decent week Lagers - keep up the routine...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
cheers TT

trying to get myself spotting fit for the coming season

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal