UKBouldering.com

Mahogany Fingerboards (Read 2826 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Mahogany Fingerboards
September 03, 2017, 10:37:07 pm
... I'm not taking the P, honestly. Has anyone used one of these? More slippery or anything? Crusher have quite a nice looking one for only a couple of quid extra (possibly for a permanent mounting in my flat)

... and on an almost unrelated note, has anyone mounted a moon board on one of their (crusher) hanging door mounts?

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Mahogany Fingerboards
September 04, 2017, 07:13:27 am
I'm not an authority on the sourcing of mahogany or any other kind of wood, but I know some people are concerned about it coming from unsustainable felling of wild trees in forests. Which seems like an obviously bad thing if true.

haydn jones

• forum hero
#2 Re: Mahogany Fingerboards
September 04, 2017, 08:03:00 am
Basically what I was going to say. But either way this doesn't look like mahogany. Iroko I think is what they say it is.

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Mahogany Fingerboards
September 04, 2017, 09:06:27 am
The ethical sourcing issue came up on UKC in the past week:
 https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=670440
Paul of crusher holds stated that it's ethically sourced.

What is it you want to know about mounting a Mon fingerboard on one Toby? It should mount the same as any other brand fingerboard no?

lemony

• player
#4 Re: Mahogany Fingerboards
September 04, 2017, 09:46:19 am
I've used the fingerboard mount for a few years and it's great! Really stable once it's up and quick and easy to put up and take down. I'd buy one again, no question.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#5 Re: Mahogany Fingerboards
September 04, 2017, 12:53:25 pm
They are made from Iroko! I've never tried to source illegally logged west african mahogany to make my boards :slap: I'm guessing it'd be quite difficult and a rather unsustainable business model. Much easier to go to the timber yard.

Iroko occasionally referred to as Iroko Mahogany due to its similarity in finish and properties to Mahogany is a very commonly used hardwood timber, an example being hardwood timber framed conservatories, virtually all are made from it. High quality, stable, good looking...!?

Toby it does feel slightly different to the Ash, a little smoother finish, only noticeable on the slopes really.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#6 Re: Mahogany Fingerboards
September 04, 2017, 01:14:26 pm
For any who want to know the source...

http://www.timberconnection.co.uk/product/iroko/

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#7 Mahogany Fingerboards
September 04, 2017, 03:40:47 pm
I find hanging the slopers on the BM2000 (sorry Probes) easier without chalk (even slightly sweaty) on my fingers, but not the edges.
I made my own board with Iroko, with 50* and 55* slopers and 12,10 and 8mm edges and it's completely reversed. I mean I need chalk to hold the slopers and less/none on the edges.
I think the BM is Ash(?) and quite a bit more porous. It's also more maintenance intensive, as in the BM seems to get greasier quicker. Bare in mind both boards are used in a commercial setting and get quite high usage, but the Iroko only ever needs a boulder brush over it; whereas I have to use a brass brush on the BM's once a week.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#8 Re: Mahogany Fingerboards
September 04, 2017, 04:07:18 pm
Basically, BM= Fender, Crusher= Gibson.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#9 Re: Mahogany Fingerboards
September 04, 2017, 04:48:33 pm
I find hanging the slopers on the BM2000 (sorry Probes) easier without chalk (even slightly sweaty) on my fingers, but not the edges.
I made my own board with Iroko, with 50* and 55* slopers and 12,10 and 8mm edges and it's completely reversed. I mean I need chalk to hold the slopers and less/none on the edges.
I think the BM is Ash(?) and quite a bit more porous. It's also more maintenance intensive, as in the BM seems to get greasier quicker. Bare in mind both boards are used in a commercial setting and get quite high usage, but the Iroko only ever needs a boulder brush over it; whereas I have to use a brass brush on the BM's once a week.

Interesting comments on Iroko used in a commercial wall! Especially the slopers (55 :o) The slopers on my board are 25* (and angled down) and not there for sloper training, more for warmups and knocking out pull ups.

I'm pretty sure Bms are Tulipwood (poplar).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal