UKBouldering.com

Ardgour bouldering (Read 5269 times)

Eth

Ardgour bouldering
September 02, 2017, 09:45:37 am
Happily we will be spending a few days around Loch Sunart later this year. Anyone know if there's a topo for the boulders at Ardgour, or better still is there a video out there of Them Bones / Them Groans? Usual tinterweb search doesn't bring up much. Cheers in advance

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Ardgour bouldering
September 06, 2017, 05:47:40 pm
Not got it to hand, but have you looked in new Scottish Bouldering Guide?

Eth

#2 Re: Ardgour bouldering
September 06, 2017, 07:35:32 pm
No haven't had a chance to look in any guides as of yet. Not going until December so was just doing some basic research as to what's in the area.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Ardgour bouldering
September 07, 2017, 10:20:59 am
As Chris suggested Boulder Scotland has some info ( including Them Bones). Glen Nevis not too far away either.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#4 Re: Ardgour bouldering
September 07, 2017, 06:57:28 pm
I've done a few of the easier problems in Glen Tarbert. Great rock in a lovely spot. Take wellies and a tarp. I'm sure I remember reading something that Dan V wrote about Them Bones on the Beastmaker blog but can't remember what.  There's some good easier stuff on that block.
All I can find online is Dan's photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/beastmaker/8614460932/in/photostream/

The Perfect Catch on the obvious massive block you see from the road looks brilliant. 

There's also a fair bit to do at the east (Ardgour) end of Glen Tarbert, but it probably needs a bit of a clean (if memory from about 10 years ago serves).

Obviously. in December there's a chance the weather will be sub-optimal, but there's a chance it could be mint!

Eth

#5 Re: Ardgour bouldering
September 07, 2017, 07:05:59 pm
Cheers for the info! Probably worth getting the Boulder Scotland guide to see what other stuff is in the area. Thanks again.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Ardgour bouldering
September 08, 2017, 11:10:04 am
[quote author=GazM link=topic=28324.msg556954#msg556954 date=150480704

Obviously. in December there's a chance the weather will be sub-optimal, but there's a chance it could be mint!
[/quote]

Aye Gaz, just like January, February, March........

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Ardgour bouldering
September 13, 2017, 06:58:11 pm
Glen Nevis not too far away either.

Neither is 3 wise monkeys and ice factor climbing walls.

December after all.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#8 Re: Ardgour bouldering
September 16, 2017, 12:16:56 pm
No info, but Them Groans looks good.

Eth

#9 Re: Ardgour bouldering
September 16, 2017, 04:51:04 pm
Looks brilliant thanks for posting the photo!
If we get weather like that in December I'll be chuffed

Alex-the-Alex

• menacing presence
#10 Re: Ardgour bouldering
November 28, 2017, 11:37:24 pm
Hi Eth,

I went up to the boulders today semi-inspired by this thread as the weather was looking ideal. Not the most successful day though... The whole place was dark, wet and moss-covered. With most of the boulders being on the south side of the glen theyve not seen sunlight in a month or more. The heather bunnets on the big stanes provide a fairly constant runoff too which puts the likes of Dan V's line out of action. I ended up scrubbing a few lines, had a play on some holds, slipped off topouts with handfuls of moss a couple of times and gave up. I probably should have known better but the idea was lodged in my head. Worth exploring anyhow.

I wouldnt recommend a visit any time soon. I reckon they need a good dryspell and more sunlight in the glen for it to be any good (same for Glen nevis). If youre near Sunart though Ardnamurchan has a some good bouldering about. The beach wall at Sanna is lovely and im sure theres loads of rock to explore in the hills. The other bet might be to take the Loch aline ferry over to Mull and head to Erraid or Loch Buie? The Mushroom Boulder is absolutely class.

All the best for the trip.

Alex-the-Alex

• menacing presence
#11 Re: Ardgour bouldering
November 28, 2017, 11:49:11 pm
Just to add, for future reference, the river crossing was allright in wellies though youd want waders if it were any higher... Also I dont think that photo is anywhere around the Them Bones boulder.. Its not even the same rock type! Maybe its up at the east end of the glen? The stuff near Dan V's problem and Them Bones looked more like granite than gneiss  :shrug:.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal