UKBouldering.com

Burbage South - First outing (Read 9242 times)

Durbs

• forum hero
Burbage South - First outing
October 24, 2010, 11:32:13 am
Taking advantage of being (hopefully temporarily) unemployed - think I might head up to Burbage South with a mate and a mat this Wednesday and see what all this Peak district malarky is about.

Peakdistrictonline seems to be er...offline at the moment, but cached pages have various topos which should be good for our punter levels (6a+ top end)

Could you kind people give me the basic lowdown for things such as where to park, whether to bother if it's rained on Tuesday (which the Beeb says it will) and/or light-raining on Wednesday?

Aside from warm stuff and a large thermos flask, any other essentials?

Will be doing it as a day trip - sparrows fart start to get there around 9/10am then stay as long as the light/skin lasts.

Will it be rammed due to half term?

Cheers m'dears.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1 Re: Burbage South - First outing
October 24, 2010, 11:39:40 am
bbg south doesn't dry very quickly after rain. another good venue for climbing at that sort of level is cratcliff tor.
don't worry about the crowds, they are all in font and have run of of fuel.

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#2 Re: Burbage South - First outing
October 24, 2010, 12:31:05 pm
maybe but all the font locals are in the peak  ;D

so watch out for a load of frenchies up stanage all week

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#3 Re: Burbage South - First outing
October 24, 2010, 12:34:43 pm

so watch out for a load of frenchies up stanage at The Works all week

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#4 Re: Burbage South - First outing
October 24, 2010, 07:55:13 pm
Bonjour!

JamieG

• forum hero
#5 Re: Burbage South - First outing
October 25, 2010, 11:10:10 am
I tend to park , near the fox house pub. And then walk across the moor to the edge (path starts at green arrow). If it has been wet the boulders below the edge dry faster than the edge itself. Plus there are tons of good easier problems up to around 6a amongst the boulders. This link has a topo for the boulders. Particular highlights include the groove on the useful block (No. 6 on the topo), tiger (No. 36) and pock man (No. 53).

I also find that some kind of super tasty muffin/cake/flapjack improves a day bouldering no end.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: Burbage South - First outing
October 25, 2010, 11:46:41 am
I think there have been issues with folk getting ticketed for parking on the left just after the bend. Parking near Fox House is a better option.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#7 Re: Burbage South - First outing
October 25, 2010, 12:46:28 pm
Why not just park in the Fox house car park itself? it's what I always do and haven't had problems.

Might wander out and join you myself if the weather looks good Durbs.

granticus

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Burbage South - First outing
October 25, 2010, 08:59:54 pm
If you do park on the road, make sure you park with all your wheels COMPLETELY off the road.  Otherwise you could end up with £60 fine and 3 points on your license!! :wank:

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#9 Re: Burbage South - First outing
October 25, 2010, 09:04:05 pm
Yeah those  :wank: who can't park properly or walk a few hundred extra yards resulting in numerous near misses with cars, cyclists etc really are  :wank:'s

Now if only SYP could also do the  :wank:'s that park on the road opposite STRFU we'd be getting somewhere.

Durbs

• forum hero
#10 Re: Burbage South - First outing
October 26, 2010, 08:06:20 am
 :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info guys.

Oddly - http://www.peakdistrictonline.co.uk/ - never seems to work for me, always says it too busy or server issues yet other people seem to access it fine. Hmmmm.

Will park at/near said pub.

Butters - cool cool, we'll be the one struggling on everything we touch, and probably swearing quite loudly in profound southern accents.
"I say old chap, this bastard of a 5+ is terribly cuntish don't you think?"

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#11 Re: Burbage South - First outing
October 26, 2010, 08:35:56 am

Bet the walkers will be impressed by that?

Park by the stile but off the road as suggested by granticus and you'll be fine.  Do use the stile to cross the wall.  Do follow the path across the Moor.  And try not fall into the quarries on the approach ...

Alternatively try and park in the limited places just down the road and round the corner then you only have to walk up the great big footpath until you see the boulders.

JamieG

• forum hero
#12 Re: Burbage South - First outing
October 26, 2010, 09:55:36 am
Didn't realise people got fines for parking near the stile! I have a 106, so it has never a problem getting it completely off the road. To be honest i'd rather have it properly off the road so it doesn't get clipped never mind a fine or points. But better safe than sorry. Hope you enjoy the climbing.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#13 Re: Burbage South - First outing
October 26, 2010, 11:13:32 am

Met them at Burbage North today. Mint conditions and they were just walking around looking at stuff. Have they seen the forecast for rest of week!

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#14 Re: Burbage South - First outing
October 26, 2010, 11:23:54 am

Met them at Burbage North today. Mint conditions and they were just walking around looking at stuff. Have they seen the forecast for rest of week!
boy was i glad they turned up when they did. Glad their english was good enough to understand me calling down for a spot !! tho hope my sketcking did not put them off....

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#15 Re: Burbage South - First outing
October 29, 2010, 02:04:36 pm

Ah so it was you, got an email of gg saying he met someone i know but he couldnt remember who, bloody french ::)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#16 Re: Burbage South - First outing
November 01, 2010, 05:54:01 pm
Did you make it to Burbage in the end Durbs?

StillTryingForTheTop

• addict
#17 Re: Burbage South - First outing
August 10, 2017, 01:04:36 pm
Thinking of heading to Burbage South on Saturday

When looking at the suggested parking on UKC, it suggests here

https://www.google.com/maps/place/53%C2%B019'17.0%22N+1%C2%B036'24.5%22W/@53.3213267,-1.6092546,16.75z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d53.3214!4d-1.6068

Looking on the map, do you walk along the path to the boulders, or the "unnamed road", it would appear to be the road, but I don't want to walk all the way along there (with a 4 year old) and then find we can't access the boulders

thanks

Bet the walkers will be impressed by that?

Park by the stile but off the road as suggested by granticus and you'll be fine.  Do use the stile to cross the wall.  Do follow the path across the Moor.  And try not fall into the quarries on the approach ...

Alternatively try and park in the limited places just down the road and round the corner then you only have to walk up the great big footpath until you see the boulders.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#18 Re: Burbage South - First outing
August 10, 2017, 01:21:49 pm
If you park where the pin is you an just follow the large track (obvious white one leading north from the parking on Google satellite view) rather than the smaller path and it will bring you to the boulders. I think the path takes you more to the

If the parking is full you can also park at the Fox House Pub and walk down the road to the parking you've linked. You can also go across the moor from the Fox House but it might not be ideal with a 4 year old in tow.

Hopefully these directions show the route from the parking to the boulders okay: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/53.3281197,-1.6021228/53.3213889,-1.6068056/@53.3226654,-1.6070804,535m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK

StillTryingForTheTop

• addict
#20 Re: Burbage South - First outing
August 10, 2017, 02:06:26 pm
Thank you, that is perfect, that is the route I was thinking to take but wanted to make sure

Gary

If you park where the pin is you an just follow the large track (obvious white one leading north from the parking on Google satellite view) rather than the smaller path and it will bring you to the boulders. I think the path takes you more to the

If the parking is full you can also park at the Fox House Pub and walk down the road to the parking you've linked. You can also go across the moor from the Fox House but it might not be ideal with a 4 year old in tow.

Hopefully these directions show the route from the parking to the boulders okay: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/53.3281197,-1.6021228/53.3213889,-1.6068056/@53.3226654,-1.6070804,535m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

StillTryingForTheTop

• addict
#21 Re: Burbage South - First outing
August 10, 2017, 02:10:34 pm
Thanks,

I have that guide but the route James has suggested / what I was thinking looks a better option than the one in guide so I wanted to double check it is the correct path

I see it is limited parking, so if full I will drop the family and gear off there, then park up elsewhere and walk back to them

There's a map in this pdf

https://www.rockfax.com/wp-content/uploads/intros/peak-bouldering-preview.pdf

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#22 Re: Burbage South - First outing
August 10, 2017, 02:21:48 pm
The alternative parking and route are also marked on that guidebook map, just not described.

StillTryingForTheTop

• addict
#23 Re: Burbage South - First outing
August 10, 2017, 04:59:52 pm
that is true, i missed it had the path marked on there

The alternative parking and route are also marked on that guidebook map, just not described.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal