UKBouldering.com

Backpacks for carrying toddlers (Read 4588 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Backpacks for carrying toddlers
July 27, 2017, 03:07:24 pm
Hi all,
Been looking at these in Decathlog today - and they had a couple of Deuter ones for about £100-120. Metal frame that turned into a stand to put the child in etc.. are they useful (look ideal for doing anything over a mile with the nipper in) and any beta/advice? Main difference between the two models was an adjustable back and sun canopy etc..
cheers all,
TT

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Backpacks for carrying toddlers
July 27, 2017, 03:22:38 pm
Assuming this is for walking into crags just put them in your pad with a bag stuffed in the bottom to stand on? My little one loves going for a ride in daddies pad. Just be aware that if they start wriggling on uneven ground it can get a bit awkward.

Sent from my ZTE A2016 using Tapatalk

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Backpacks for carrying toddlers
July 27, 2017, 03:31:41 pm
http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?topic=18127.0

previous thread.

We liked the Deuter bought it new, and sold for not much less.

dave

#3 Re: Backpacks for carrying toddlers
July 27, 2017, 03:33:59 pm
We had one, think it was Bush Baby, got it second hand from one of those NCT sales they have.

Used it a bit with the first kid, carried him around Font with it, when he fell asleep in it if you're careful you can get it off with them in it and prop it upright or strap it to a tree just to make sure it doesn't fall over.

For me the problem with these is once they're big enough to be in one of them instead of a front carrier then they're bastard heavy! And that's before you've filled all the storage pockets with food, water and crag stuff. Didn't use ours much or even at all with the second kid, just got a decent lightweight pushchair instead. We were not hell bent on dragging the kids out on much that wasn't pushchairable.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Backpacks for carrying toddlers
July 27, 2017, 03:40:28 pm
Assuming this is for walking into crags just put them in your pad with a bag stuffed in the bottom to stand on? My little one loves going for a ride in daddies pad. Just be aware that if they start wriggling on uneven ground it can get a bit awkward.

Sent from my ZTE A2016 using Tapatalk

Great! I can, unfortunately, see this failing the MrsTT safety criteria (I know I know...).

Chris - thanks.

Dave - he's 11kg now... so with the backpack and any other shizzle that's at least 15kg... tbh I hate being limited where to go by it having a vaguely pushchair friendly path..

Btw - this is my vista now. Rock n roll :D

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Backpacks for carrying toddlers
July 27, 2017, 03:41:57 pm
I've been using a Vaude one I got from my sister who used it sparingly for her daughter and then it lived in her loft for 9 years. My son is 10 months old, but fairly hefty for his age (~90th percentile). I've used it a fair bit since we got it (he was 4 months when we got it) and most recently I used it when I was in the Peak to walk from the car park at Fiddler's Elbow (top end of Burbage Valley) along the top of Stanage Edge to the plantation then down into Hathersage for lunch and back in a loop.

Ours has a sun canopy and rain canopy. I've used both in anger. The sun canopy is useful anyway for deflecting low branches away from the little one, as well as keeping the sun off They're pretty exposed up there otherwise, and our boy hates wearing a hat. It can catch the wind a bit though.

I'd say an adjustable back is worth considering as I've found small adjustments to ours make a world of difference to how comfortable it is to use for longer periods.

Our son is very happy to be carried about in ours, I think he likes the view being higher up, but we'll see whether that's still the case as he gets older and more mobile.

dave

#6 Re: Backpacks for carrying toddlers
July 27, 2017, 03:45:46 pm
Dave - he's 11kg now... so with the backpack and any other shizzle that's at least 15kg... tbh I hate being limited where to go by it having a vaguely pushchair friendly path..

You've not ticked everything on Kudos wall yet have you?

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Backpacks for carrying toddlers
July 27, 2017, 03:58:58 pm
Nope... I don't want to spend every day there... :)

But will be there tomorrow morning...

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#8 Re: Backpacks for carrying toddlers
July 27, 2017, 04:38:48 pm
Two things here tom.

Firstly, I've got one of those backpack things that lagers freecycled me - we never used it (more below) but you're more than welcome to it if you want to at least try it out for zero fuckalls.

Second, we use an ergobaby carrier which I now swear by. Good for front and back carrying, babies and bigger youts. Way better than the Bjorn we had (especially for your back). You can get 'em from John Lewis for about a ton, but compared to the hassle of using our massive buggy I have (and will) use it loads. Again, you're welcome to a test drive of ours if you want.

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Backpacks for carrying toddlers
July 27, 2017, 04:48:47 pm
We've got an ergobaby 360 (mrsTT's cousins wife works for them in the States) but never used it in backpack mode. Any good?

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#10 Re: Backpacks for carrying toddlers
July 27, 2017, 05:02:05 pm
We've got an ergobaby 360 (mrsTT's cousins wife works for them in the States) but never used it in backpack mode. Any good?
Yeah, we pretty much ditched the buggy after about 18 months.

It helps to have someone else to get the kid in and out if they're riding in the back, but it is possible on your jack once you get the knack.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Yossarian

• forum hero
#11 Re: Backpacks for carrying toddlers
July 27, 2017, 05:05:18 pm
We were given a Macpac Koala. It has a sun visor and a rain thing somewhere, but we never use it.

He is a well-built 2 1/2 year old, and I reckon he'll still fit (possibly with some minor modifications) into early next year. I am confident about it being tough enough as I've added a good 8-10kg for some walks this summer.

I imagine there are a few on Ebay...

Catcheemonkey

• addict
#12 Re: Backpacks for carrying toddlers
July 27, 2017, 05:17:54 pm
Tom,

I've got a Bushbaby carrier with sunshade and rain cover you can have. In fact, I've got a garage full of baby stuff I've been meaning to freecycle. PM me if you're interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomtom

• forum hero
#13 Re: Backpacks for carrying toddlers
July 27, 2017, 06:58:08 pm
Tom,

I've got a Bushbaby carrier with sunshade and rain cover you can have. In fact, I've got a garage full of baby stuff I've been meaning to freecycle. PM me if you're interested.

Magic - whereabouts are you based?

Catcheemonkey

• addict
#14 Re: Backpacks for carrying toddlers
July 27, 2017, 07:03:37 pm
I'm based in Leeds, but work just off the M62 near Wakefield if that's more convenient.

tomtom

• forum hero
#15 Re: Backpacks for carrying toddlers
July 27, 2017, 07:36:24 pm
Brilliant - I pass by there at least once a week. I'll dm you when I'm finished sorting something out [emoji106]

SA Chris

• forum hero
#16 Re: Backpacks for carrying toddlers
July 28, 2017, 10:17:11 am
Back up the truck....

galpinos

• forum hero
#17 Re: Backpacks for carrying toddlers
July 28, 2017, 10:36:04 am
Tom, I've got one (Bush Baby from the sister in law, no idea of model or age) and it's very handy. Don't use it all the time but great for a walk up the hill (over Kinder, Roseberry Topping etc). Never got on with our ergobaby copy (I'm too wide for it, kids struggled to get comfy though was fine on Laura) so I've always used the proper carrier. Can stick nappies, snacks, water etc in it so I use for most trips when I want to avoid the pram. Get used to food in your hair and getting your head slapped whilst your son laughs manically......

SA Chris

• forum hero
#18 Re: Backpacks for carrying toddlers
July 28, 2017, 12:30:09 pm
Quote from: tommytwotone link=topic=28251.msg555296#msg555296
carrying, babies Way better than the Bjorn we had (especially for your back).

We had a Bjorn for first, and I really liked it and found it comfy. Then missus read reports about them being bad for kids hips, so we got a Boba (Short for Boulder baby - designed in Boulder CO), and neither me not second child ever got comfortable with it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:59:55 pm by SA Chris »

SA Chris

• forum hero
#19 Re: Backpacks for carrying toddlers
July 28, 2017, 01:03:10 pm
Get used to food in your hair and getting your head slapped whilst your son laughs manically......

Son was in backpack (ostensibly sleeping) why we were doing PYO raspberries. At one point a small hand appeared from around my armpit height, so i put a raspberry in it and it disappeared, followed by much chewing and sucking noises. 5 minutes later, juice stained hand reappeared and was duly refilled. I think i stopped at about 10 for fear of resulting nappy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal