UKBouldering.com

York, Knaresborough, Harrogate - much of a scene? (Read 2400 times)

ali k

• junky
It looks like my wife will be taking the Northallerton job so we'll be living in the Ripon/Knaresborough/Harrogate sort of area.

Anyone care to try and reassure me that I'm not gonna be moving to a partner-less psyche vacuum? Bouldering I'm not so worried about as I don't mind a bit of solitude but outside of the main Sheffield/Leeds/Manchester hubs I don't know anyone up north that's keen for wknd trad adventures, or at the very least Yorkshire sport.

Is there a similar Facebook page to the Yorkshire Limestone partners one but for the York/Harrogate area?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
No idea, but I used to be plenty of them on the Almscliff evening circuit.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Stabbsy!

The couple of times I've been to Red Goat Bouldering Centre in York I've been impressed with the venue, setting, and vibe, and the new training section where they have expanded looks like it will be very good.

Mind you I'm easily impress, everything locally to me is a bit rubbish by comparison.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
When I was in York (2008-2010) I found it a bit quiet, but that was before Red Goat opened - not sure if there's a bit more of a scene now.

I used to go down to the pub on a Thurs to meet members of York Climbing Club. Despite being a pub regular I very, very rarely climbed with them (no offence to anyone in particular but a lot of Scugdale top-roping of Severes going down which isn't really my scene). [/size]I just ended up making numerous trips over to Leeds to train at The Depot and my mate's board.

Harrogate wall had just opened when I was there and seemed to be busy / have a good band of regulars.

ali k

• junky
When I was in York (2008-2010) I found it a bit quiet

I'm noticing a bit of a theme here...all the keen climbers migrating away to Leeds  :tumble:  :slap:

Stabbsy

• junky
Can't comment on the Knaresborough and Harrogate scenes, but I've been in York for nearly 10 years now. Initially it felt like a bit of a backwater compared to the South Lakes where I was beforehand. Things have improved massively with the new wall, but it's not Leeds or Sheffield and never will be. As seems to be the case with a lot of newer walls, a lot of the people that climb there have never climbed outside and probably never will. Also, it was overly busy, but the recent extension has solved that. The problems are well set by a variety of setters and change frequently enough to keep it interesting, plus the training area (2 boards, campus boards, bar, weights) is developing nicely. From York side of Leeds, it's easy to mix it with visits to CityBloc (or Depot on weekends).

In terms of "proper" climbing, there's a decent group of keen sport climbers, regular cars going to Kilnsey/Malham. Similar with bouldering through the winter, although it can be difficult to drag people away from Almscliff/Brimham/Caley to try somewhere different. Hard trad climbers are a bit thinner in the ground, but there's a few keen folk around.

All that said, I'm in the process of moving to Sheffield - mostly life related, rather than climbing related, but the benefits from a climbing perspective are obvious! Feel free to send me a PM if you want any further info.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal