UKBouldering.com

Theft, camera, action (Read 3450 times)

fried

• forum hero
Theft, camera, action
July 02, 2017, 04:29:35 pm
There's been a spate of thefts from my apartment block; 5 plus a couple of atempts in the last 2 weeks, obviouly stupid or/and lazy.

We're looking for some sort of hidden camera solution to monitor the outside, floors and personally my own apartment.

Any ideas of what's available, internet, smartphone access would be good, with motion detectors...

Someone help!

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: Theft, camera, action
July 03, 2017, 09:42:38 am
You can use 'Alfred' on Android to record when it detects motion and view it from another phone.

One of the apartment blocks in Sheffield was pretty bad for break-ins despite having swipe entry, cameras in all of the lifts etc. Ours was broken into one Christmas and they'd literally kicked down every door they'd come to. With various doors on the floor it was easy to see why this tactic worked as the (modern) construction was so flimsy.

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Theft, camera, action
July 03, 2017, 11:02:58 am
Brother in law has one of these for front door plus stick up camera for back garden.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DM6BDA4?psc=1
Expensive but might be worth a look, if motion is detected, camera starts recording to cloud and I think alert sent to phone.
Really clear images when he showed what it could do.
I'd think about getting one myself but don't have wired doorbell.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#3 Re: Theft, camera, action
July 03, 2017, 12:48:02 pm
Other end of price spectrum. Colleague at work has a couple of these. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clever-Dog-Smart-Camera-Monitor-Orange/dp/B00ZQSI5CG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

He was showing me footage of it detecting a fan moving (that he activated with one of the remote powersocket thingies) through the app. Seemed quite impressive for the price. Motion detection. Two way audio.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#4 Re: Theft, camera, action
July 03, 2017, 12:52:20 pm
Having interrupted an attempted break-in at my place a while back (nothing heroic, I was just asleep on the sofa when they tried to come in through an open top living room window!), I found out that our local village Facebook group had a load of people with CCTV that had said they'd captured loads of nefarious types out at night trying front doors, cars and the like.

Have to say it didn't make the sleep any easier, and while I'd initially considered CCTV I thought I was better off blissfully ignorant the extent to which local neer-do-wells might (or might not) be sizing up our gaff.

fried

• forum hero
#5 Re: Theft, camera, action
July 03, 2017, 06:14:51 pm
Thanks for the suggestions...pretty shit at the moment. There was another break in this afternoon, and neither the police nor the housing authority seem concerned, even with all the tenants organised it's an uphill struggle to get anything done.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#6 Re: Theft, camera, action
July 04, 2017, 07:41:33 am
money spent on making the doors/windows more secure is more effective than buying cameras

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Theft, camera, action
July 04, 2017, 07:58:15 am
Ideal for home defence

(sorry fried - I know this doesn't help.. :(  )

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal