UKBouldering.com

Woodhouse Scar (Read 17349 times)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#25 Re: Woodhouse Scar
November 16, 2010, 04:30:52 pm
It's not that far for me, and I've been before but it's been green (used to live a lot closer).  Easy to pop into in passing.  Although the Sheriff may be a little lowball for me!!

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#26 Re: Woodhouse Scar
November 16, 2010, 04:37:36 pm
Don't write it off yet, everyone needs some help sometimes...

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#27 Re: Woodhouse Scar
November 16, 2010, 04:44:29 pm
Is that some form of offer, Pest?

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#28 Re: Woodhouse Scar
November 16, 2010, 06:08:33 pm
It'd be great if you lived in Halifax, but its not worth travelling for.

Matter of taste and what you mean by travelling surely? Its maybe not somewhere you would go back to again and again but for hundreds of sheltered winter problems many of which dry real fast, good from the mid-7's and especially so in the lower grades, with a one minute walk in and usually only 15 mins from the M62 its worth a look or two. It takes me less time to get on rock there from Nottingham than most of the peak moorland crags.

Used to be my local crag, so maybe I'm biased bit I've always really liked the place (notwithstanding the odd bit of broken glass and grafitti). Piton Crack is the second best V5 in Yorkshire and you should all get on Angel Face - another cracker! Loads of good little solos and fun problems throughout the low to mid grades - what's not to like?

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#29 Re: Woodhouse Scar
March 15, 2015, 04:35:43 pm
Went for a post winter tidy and play today. Everything in good nick. No one else there.

36chambers

• forum hero
#30 Re: Woodhouse Scar
March 15, 2015, 05:32:47 pm
Went for a post winter tidy and play today. Everything in good nick. No one else there.

Cheers for the update.

Do you happen to know whether woodhouse is expected to get consumed by ferns and midges in the coming months?

I fancy a trip over, but it won't be for another month or so, and I'm curious to know if the plants will beat me to it.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself a little bit  :-\

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#31 Re: Woodhouse Scar
March 15, 2015, 07:03:54 pm
Ferns are never much of a problem. Brambles were a problem under parts of the crag but are becoming less so since I started pulling them up by their roots (cleared most of the winter growth under the crag today along with a few more big root tubers). Midges are never very much of an issue as it's an urban crag.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#32 Re: Woodhouse Scar
March 17, 2015, 11:09:17 pm
Nice on offwidth. The veg there never gets too big, its a year round venue (if you like sweaty grit)

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#33 Re: Woodhouse Scar
July 03, 2017, 10:33:15 am
Did another bramble clean on Saturday to clear some patchy spring regrowth from under the crag... easier than it used to be. I'd encourage others to don gloves and pull the stuff up by the roots.

Bouldering was in good nick and litter not too bad  (couldn't clear stuff as Id forgot to pack some bags).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal