UKBouldering.com

Five Ten Stealth paint any experience?? (Read 3314 times)

Rik

Five Ten Stealth paint any experience??
June 16, 2017, 09:03:00 am

Yo Guys,

im just looking at the stealth paint from 5.10. ive read a couple of mixed reviews on banana fingers, thought id see if anyone had tried it out? ive got about 5 pairs of various shoes that have all gone through the toe in the normal spot, wondered about giving it a go before ending them all off to get resoled? any thoughts much appreciated.

cheers guys,
Rik

dave

I bought a tin, but then couldn't find it.

SamT

• forum hero

Rik

haha brilliant thanks dave thats really useful  :great: 

dave

Sorry

SamT

• forum hero
In an attempt to be helpful, there's not much on the site previously, other than this.

Me and Pete climbed the El Cap routes in a mixture of Anasazi Velcro and Blancos.

Velcro 1 = soft and very old. 5.8-5.11
Velcro 2 = a month old. 5.12/13 cracks
Blanco = 3-6 months old. 5.12/13 face pitches.

I've found the pain in the arse of switching shoes and carrying extra ones well worth it and also good if you have horrible sweaty feet! :-). Also I use the Stealth rubber paint on the toes for the hard crack pitches. It's really good once you learn how to do the paint job well. I did a few duff jobs to start though!!

skelf

• regular
no use whatsoever in fixing holes in the toe.
Its meant for rubberising fabric areas that you might want to toe hook on etc. I tried it and messed about with it but overall if you need a pair of rockboots for a specific thing (e.g. toe hooks) they you would be better off going out and buying a more techy pair for this role.

Having bought a tin i'm now convinced someone in 5.10 came up with a smart way of reusing rubber off cuts. (grind it up and sell it.) I wont by buying another tin.

Rik

hmmm. think its looking like ill just avoid it all together and get them sent off and done properly!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

joeb

• addict
Agree with the not for hole repairs, its definite intention is on fabric. Really hard to do a decent job, my dragons looked like a nobbly bobbly the first time I tried it. Lots of glue and mixing required for a smooth finish....

ghisino

• forum abuser
Never used the actual stealth paint, but did a similar job a couple of times...i just asked my resoler to collect the rubber dust for me and mixed it with glue.

Definitely messy the first time, takes a couple of tries to do a proper job.

No use to fix holes, but could be a good way to prevent them on a brand new or slightly used shoe.

Compared to a toe patch like the solutions its main advantage is the added sensitivity. May be a plus on very slopey toe hooks.
For cracks there is no shoe having a built in rubber patch in the right spot (outer side of the foot).

Two shoes that seem to use the same tech are the old 5.10 jet7 and the current Boreal Mutant. Same thing except for some reason boreal must have some glue issues as their "rubber paint" job comes off quite easily.

Paul B

• forum hero
Quote from: skelf
Having bought a tin i'm now convinced someone in 5.10 came up with a smart way of reusing rubber off cuts. (grind it up and sell it.) I wont by buying another tin.

To be fair to 5.10, when it was released rubber for toe hooking wasn't ​that common.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal