UKBouldering.com

UKB Power Club Week 376 8th - 14th May 2017 (Read 12582 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Contemplating buying a kettlebell or two as I'm not getting much done on a weekend so would be useful to have one so I could do a "200 reps" workout at home.

Think Aldi were shifting some recently, probably store specific though I guess.  Probably loads collecting dust around homes whose occupants' January resolutions have come to naught again.

That's not a bad shout. Might put a notice on my work intranet board to see before I shell out for one.

tomtom

• forum hero
Ebay/Gumtree?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Think Aldi were shifting some recently, probably store specific though I guess. 

I think that's where ours came from.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
I made myself a kind of kettlebell using weight plates, a chain and a water hose length to make the handle around the chain.
Cheap and effective, you can load it at will without having to buy different kettlebells. The swing in the chain is minimal, and in any case it provides more instability so it's good work.
This was version 1.0 with a rigid handle. Water hose is much better.

user deactivated

It was the tideswell toddle, or cragx Crawl fell (ish) race - which I'd forgotten about, but had a nice chat with the marshals and they let me through. Worth noting - one of them (a climber who lives in cragx)

Him?

An unlikely looking cragx afficionado there Simon!

fried

• forum hero
M - Rain, Indoors at my second wall, haven't been for a while. I should go more often, much less obvious setting and slightly more realistic grading.

T/Th - Nothing
Fr - Indoors, tweaked something in my neck/ shoulder, though O.K session.

Sa/Su - dodgy weather, dodgy neck decided to rest cos next week I'll be in the climbing hotspot of Noirmoutier...can't wait to get on this...https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=21231

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
m-FB Max hangs good session
t-stretch
w-outside to work on project.  beautiful day, and sorted out beta for project
t-rest
f-outside and managed to finish project as new 8A :)  super psyched!!!
s-Pullup and core work
s-routes w wife

good week, and starting to see the light at the end of the crazy town tunnel. 

nik at work

• forum hero
M - nothing
T - evening session at the batcave. Good session on Dougs project. Did full crux sequence in isolation for first time. Then tried it from the ground and got part way through the crux. Nice evening.
W - nothing
T - nothing
F - nothing
S - disastrous camping trip. Ended up not camping after wind totalled tent.
S - diy

Only a small amount of climbing this week, but what little there was felt worthwhile. This week isn't looking like it will offer up many opportunities to climb either. Ho-hum...

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog

Contemplating buying a kettlebell or two as I'm not getting much done on a weekend so would be useful to have one so I could do a "200 reps" workout at home.

Oh, the irony. Good idea. I bought one last week and have been very attached to it.

A two week update because things got lost last weekend. Two good weeks of training, but I’m that annoying combination of very heavy and very unmotivated to get outside. Hopefully that changes. Have also added a lot of kettlebell swings into my life (aiming for 300 – 350 a day, every day for a month) in the hopes of improving general fitness and mobility – I’ve found from past experience that this does help.

New STGs:
1. Finish 300 - 350 kettlebell swings a day for 1 month challenge
2. Full set of 10s max hangs on BM2K small rung with half of my bodyweight (at this point, 44kgs) added.

Week of 1 to 7 May:

Mon: Public holiday so made it out to a newish (to me) boulder on the slopes of Table Mountain. Ticked a 7Aish crimpy jump quickly, an excellent 7A+ a little less quickly and didn’t quite finish off the rest of the boulder. Followed it up with a kettlebell finisher of 15s of swings, 15s of rest for 20 mins. Quite hard with a 24 kg KB.

Tues: A hard kettlebell / assault bike workout – 20 mins alternating 30s of hard assault bike and 30s of kettlebell swings; followed by hangboard and home core workout in the evening.

Wed: Deadlifts (up to 3 x 1 x 150kgs), kettlebell swings and box jumps

Thurs: Good bouldering session, followed by 300 kettlebell swings in 15 mins (24kg KB)

Fri: AM hangboard session, lunchtime weights and kettlebell swings (300 w/24kg KB)

Sat: Rest day. Deserved.

Sun: Decent bouldering session, followed by 300 kettlebell swings (24kg KB)

Week of 8 to 14 May:

Mon: Hangboard and 300 kettlebell swings

Tues: Decent, but short, bouldering session; 300 kettlebell swings

Wed: Kettlebell / assault bike workout – 20 mins alternating 30s of hard assault bike and 20 kettlebell swings (300 swings total)

Thurs: Hangboard – 9 x 10s max hangs on small BM2K edge with 36.5kgs added, with.. funnily enough.. kettlebell swings (350 of them in total) in between the hangs

Fri: Big weights session – deadlifts, cleans, Turkish getups and .. kettlebell swings

Sat: Long bouldering session, some one arm max hangs and the ubiquitous kettlebell swings

Sun: Hangboard – 9 x 10s max hangs on small BM2K edge with 36.5kgs added, with yet more kettlebell swings (350 of them in total) in between the hangs

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted

Think Aldi were shifting some recently, probably store specific though I guess.  Probably loads collecting dust around homes whose occupants' January resolutions have come to naught again.

That's not a bad shout. Might put a notice on my work intranet board to see before I shell out for one.

Failing that TTT, Decathlon always have them for not much.

psborland

• regular
M. Autobelays, first time for a while. about 5 warmup climbs. then 4 sets of  4 x 6b+ with 10 minutes between sets. failing before top of #12 #15 & #16

T. none feeling battered

W. BBC bouldering session, felt low on power/ finger strength .

Th. Pressups 45/40/37 core b 3 rounds; stretching and shoulder mobility.

F.
Sa.

Su. Dinbren (looked like a safer weather bet than Peak) working 'I punched Judy' Bottom move came ok worked next few bouldery moves, taking everything I've got just to sequenc this bit. Top crack is OK climbed from a rest. Try to link next time.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
STG: Crush Font
MTG: 7C
LTG: 8A

M: Core
T: Indoors - 55 Board, good session
W: Indoors - Problems, good session
T: Flew to Ediburgh  :beer2:
F: Challenge Cup Final  :pissed:
S: Champions Cup Final :pissed:
S: Walked up Arthur's Seat

Edinburgh is lovely, wouldn't mind living there in future - anything is better than London... Need to get back in training mode...

webbo

• forum hero
Mon. Board worked out a couple of new things which I managed by the end of the session, a bit more inspiring than repeating stuff. Looking at houses later.
Tue. Nothing back a bit stiff.
Wed. Nothing
Thu. Board working stuff, managed 3 new problems, back still a bit sore. Bike intervals. Out for tea to celebrate offer on house being accepted.
Fri. Bike 71.12 miles 4 hrs 7 mins back painful at times.
Sat. Viewing house again with with brother and sister in law. Not only have we too much furniture it's all too big.
Sun. Board trying new problems seemed to be miles away then did one bizarrely.
Bike 23.11 miles 1hr 23 mins steady ride.

SA Chris

• forum hero
STG: Crush Font
MTG: 7C
LTG: 8A

M: Core
T: Indoors - 55 Board, good session
W: Indoors - Problems, good session
T: Flew to Ediburgh  :beer2:
F: Challenge Cup Final  :pissed:
S: Champions Cup Final :pissed:
S: Walked up Arthur's Seat

Edinburgh is lovely, wouldn't mind living there in future - anything is better than London...

Not even a visit to AR2 or Ratho? It's definitely better than London by a country mile, but not a lot of climbing for evening hits. Not none, but not lots.

Wood FT

• forum hero
Agh! First disappointing day out in a while Saturday....

Last sat- x4 goes up Vision of loveliness 2 half redpoints 

Sun- endurance home board. Felt good n fit.

Tues- boulder problem reps at the depot. 50 degree spanking as usual.

Thurs - 3hrs sleep due to little un. Endurance home board. Totally wasted.

Sat- Mmmmm semi warm up dogging clips up bored of the lies. 1,2,3rd redpoint fell in top groove due to fingers opening up. Ego dented... shrugged it off nearly.

Sun - endurance laps home board. Made a video to practice some camera stuff for upcoming trip to Germany - frankenjura (A climbing holiday!)

I really liked the video Dan

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
M: Lunch - Max hangs: Open crimp - 20mm edge
R1: 10s (0kg),
R2: 10s (+5kg)
R3: 10s (+5kg)
R4: 10s (+5kg)
R5: 10s (+5kg)

T: Eve - Llanddulas, first time on a rope in 8 months. Put a rope up on a 5+ for my mate.

Tried onsighting a very un-obvious and blind 7a. Got quite high. Had a redpoint at dusk, fell off the last move.

Did the 5+ again to strip it. Fitness is rubbish as predicted but feel stronger and linking a couple of tricky moves doesn't feel too bad.

W:Craig Y Llyn to try Voie Normale sit (7A). Used to find this impossible, couldn't do any of the moves previously. Can now do all the moves but didn't manage to link it in a oner. Really fierce on the fingers. basic board style.

Went over to the cromlech but skin was on fire, did a random sharp 6C  on the left side and called it a day.

T: Penmaen Head for an easy session, put rope up on a 5+ for mate. Repeated Flowstone Shuffle (6b+) got pumped... Tried to onsight a 6c and failed.

F: Lunch - LI-Aerocap - 2 x 10min on 3min off

S: Rest

S: Aberglaslyn - Quality dolerite bouldering in the woods. Flashed L'edge (6A) and Drip Feeder (6C). Then did the classic "Super Crack" (7A) in about 5 goes.

user deactivated

Agh! First disappointing day out in a while Saturday....

Last sat- x4 goes up Vision of loveliness 2 half redpoints 

Sun- endurance home board. Felt good n fit.

Tues- boulder problem reps at the depot. 50 degree spanking as usual.

Thurs - 3hrs sleep due to little un. Endurance home board. Totally wasted.

Sat- Mmmmm semi warm up dogging clips up bored of the lies. 1,2,3rd redpoint fell in top groove due to fingers opening up. Ego dented... shrugged it off nearly.

Sun - endurance laps home board. Made a video to practice some camera stuff for upcoming trip to Germany - frankenjura (A climbing holiday!)

I really liked the video Dan

Cheers Guy, I'm trying to experiment with frame rates and shutter angle and play back speeds as well as capturing good nature audio as per Jonny Brown. Just bought a couple of old cameras on eBay and ordered some film so will hopefully get to test them in the Frankenjura. Trying to think of an interesting narrative anyone got any ideas?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground

Cheers Guy, I'm trying to experiment with frame rates and shutter angle and play back speeds as well as capturing good nature audio as per Jonny Brown. Just bought a couple of old cameras on eBay and ordered some film so will hopefully get to test them in the Frankenjura. Trying to think of an interesting narrative anyone got any ideas?

A man's quest to find the best pre climbing cake in all of Frankenjura. Failing that, the best beer?

SA Chris

• forum hero
Failing that, the best beer?

Following in the footsteps of the legend of Kurt? The climbing and the beer.

user deactivated

I was thinking of a Brexit informed 'Dad's army style' mock up possibly incorporating your themes where Corporal Jones fails to redpoint his project after getting hideously drunk on 8% local brew, wakes up in a barn and ends up marrying a local farmers daughter all while trying to find the crag.

SA Chris

• forum hero
All the makings an Ealing Classic, Captain Mainwaring.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
"Four from Frankenjura" innit.

user deactivated

Hey Mike, you're not heading back down the cornice tomo are you?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"

I was thinking of a Brexit informed 'Dad's army style' mock up possibly incorporating your themes where Corporal Jones fails to redpoint his project after getting hideously drunk on 8% local brew, wakes up in a barn and ends up marrying a local farmers daughter all while trying to find the crag.

regular shots of Pike missing his mum's cooking

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal