UKBouldering.com

Best cities in Europe for after work cragging? (Read 13446 times)

Danny

• junky
On Galway: no.

Outside Europe, Tuscon supposed to be great.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Bilbao? Have we had Bilbao? Honestly, I've no idea if there is any cragging within 30 min, but it is hilly as fuck so I wouldn't be too surprised. Plenty of climbing near the city though. Very strong community as well.

I've a friend who lives in Salzburg, and he's very happy with all the multipitch climbing just around the city. There seems to be quite a few single pitch crags as well.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I had thought N Spain, but not sure which city is best

dave

Bilbao? Have we had Bilbao? Honestly, I've no idea if there is any cragging within 30 min, but it is hilly as fuck so I wouldn't be too surprised. Plenty of climbing near the city though. Very strong community as well.

How easy is is to get out of the city to the crags at rush hour? You don't want all your basques in one exit.

andy_e

• forum hero

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Barcelona.

Barcelona is without doubt one of the best cities for climbers, if not the best. There is nothing within 30 min of the city though. And neither Montserrat nor Gelida is particularly steep.
Bouldering at Can Boquet. 15 minutes at most (well it was from Port Forum where I lived).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
I've a friend who lives in Salzburg, and he's very happy with all the multipitch climbing just around the city. There seems to be quite a few single pitch crags as well.

I lived in Salzburg for a few months. I wasn't aware of any steep rock (or very much at all, apart from a couple of esoteric spots) within 30min. If you drive for 1h15, there's Saalachtal bouldering. Maybe there is some decent steep single pitch somewhere, but I never learned of anything near the city.

JohnM

• junky
Basel is less than 20 mins from the Basler Jura which has lots of cragging and has a good climate for a lot of the year. I am living in Freiburg in SW Germany at the moment which is about an hour away so I am considering after work cragging soon but i'd have to drive through Basel at rush hour so may take too long.

petejh

• forum hero
Gijion, Bilbao, San Sebastian seems to me to be an ace area to be based. Maybe not super-close for evening cragging or bouldering (some on the French border near San Sebastian) but pretty close to a lot of good stuff plus mountains, wintersports and amazing coastline. Pyrenees within 2-3 hrs.

nash1

• menacing presence
Stavanger, Bergen, Oslo all fit that bill in Norway, for Stavanger you can add surf, mountain bike, road bike all on the doorstep - bit further to skiing (1hr). Bergen and Oslo have skiing within 30 mins, but no surf.
Plus you have the Norwegian day schedule where everyone is finished by 3-4pm, so plenty of time for play once the clocks change...

T_B

• forum hero
Isn't Bilbao subtropical? As many rainy days per year as Manchester. No thanks!

Zurich?

Doylo

• forum hero
Bangor.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Bangor.

Between showers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36chambers

• forum hero
Palma?

~20 minutes to Sa Gubia and more. Can get to anywhere on the island in an hour.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
British people emigrating to Spain have it all the wrong way round- just get a job in Llandudno KFC and live the Orme dream like that Spanish lad.

You don't want all your basques in one exit.

:lol: How long have you been saving that one for?!

Stavanger, Bergen, Oslo all fit that bill in Norway

I know a guy who moved to Bergen and has basically quit climbing as "it never stops raining for more than a day at a time, seriously, sometimes it's drizzle for an entire month". Very short nights in summer though so, to quote John Arran in Hard XS "There's the potential to get very very tired indeed".

There are a lot of crags around Grenoble.

This is interesting as since my most regular sport partner moved there he's reportedly mainly been to the bouldering wall as the climbing is apparently too far away. I'm starting to think his interest in routes was largely down to my influence...

Stewart

• menacing presence
Glasgow clearly - could be outside the UK in the next few years

mde

• regular
In Switzerland, the best options are Basel and Lucerne. The Interlaken area would also be very good, but it is not really a city. Nothing though within 30 minutes from Zurich and Bern.

i.munro

• junky
Glasgow clearly - could be outside the UK in the next few years

In that there won't be a U.K. ...

Bilbao - driving inland for an hour or so changes the climate drastically from what I've seen.
The coastal seems to be warm & wet but inland is drier and colder - not lived there mind.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Outside Europe, Tuscon supposed to be great.

If you like climbing inside an oven. Too hot for 9 months of the year. Many better US options; Denver, SLC, etc.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
I've not personally climbed at the crag around Geneva, but there are some.

Turin has a uni, but I think the climbing is maybe a touch too far out for after work.

Innsbruck.

The only negative about Grenoble is the pollution and traffic. Crag might be close, but I heard it's a ballache to get out the city.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
I've become convinced that there are no great cities to live in US for climbing. At least not if you ask for great climbing within 30 min driving and year round climbing (max one month off season) within 2-3 hours driving.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Is Boulder a city?

Guess in the months that it's too cold / snowy to climb the brilliant snowsports can make up for it.

andy popp

• forum hero
I've become convinced that there are no great cities to live in US for climbing. At least not if you ask for great climbing within 30 min driving and year round climbing (max one month off season) within 2-3 hours driving.

Flagstaff?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Is Boulder a city?

Too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter. Also. You've to deal with a climbing community with the worst asshole/human ratio I've experienced.

Flagstaff... hmm... could be?

SA Chris

• forum hero
You've to deal with a climbing community with the worst asshole/human ratio I've experienced.

Can't dispute that.

Flagstaff might get a bit hot midsummer, but there's always the DWS at Clear Creek near Winslow.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal