UKBouldering.com

Video rigs (Read 12131 times)

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
Video rigs
April 25, 2017, 09:38:50 pm
Just wondering what the Steven Spielberg's on here are using to create their videos?

Bit of a newbie regard this, made short climbing movie from phone clips using iMovie at the weekend which I really enjoyed putting together. I will put it in the none quality section if I ever publish it!

At work(school) have videos of completed art work with view to publish either to YouTube or school website.

So options PC/Mac, iMovie/Premier/Final Cut Pro. Does it matter for any of these?
Just thinking about ease of use, value for money, limitations etc.
Any help greatfully received
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 10:11:38 pm by jfdm »

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Video rigs
April 26, 2017, 08:12:45 am
I used to edit on Final Cut Pro but about two months ago I switched to premier and never looked back.

Depends what you want to do, I think FCPX is one of the easiest to learn and pick up, however it's pretty limiting, especially with audio and colour correction. The problem I ran into was that using FCPX, restricted you to mac, which are expensive and often not powerful enough to deal with 4K, hi bit footage.

Premier is good, bit more complicated to use but if you have used ps, ai or indes it's quite intuitive. Colour correction is sooo much better, however, I guess if you were serious about colour correction you would use divinci resolve.

Hope that helps, just my fairly limited experience.

andy_e

• forum hero
#2 Re: Video rigs
April 26, 2017, 09:30:02 am
I set my laptop up to dual-boot with Ubuntu, which is free, and now use Kdenlive, which is also free, and simple to use but powerful enough to deal with everything I throw at it so far.

36chambers

• forum hero
#3 Re: Video rigs
April 26, 2017, 10:14:56 am
I set my laptop up to dual-boot with Ubuntu, which is free, and now use Kdenlive, which is also free, and simple to use but powerful enough to deal with everything I throw at it so far.

Still waiting on PArchives volume four :popcorn:

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#4 Re: Video rigs
April 26, 2017, 10:20:10 am
I use Final Cut and Logic. Works fine for me.

andy_e

• forum hero
#5 Re: Video rigs
April 26, 2017, 10:28:34 am
Still waiting on PArchives volume four :popcorn:

It nearly got started whilst I was in Argentina... I think you've done everything on it!

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Video rigs
April 26, 2017, 01:14:54 pm
Premier is good, bit more complicated to use but if you have used ps, ai or indes it's quite intuitive. Colour correction is sooo much better, however, I guess if you were serious about colour correction you would use divinci resolve.
Thanks everybody for getting touch. As I mentioned in my post just thinking about dipping my toe in the water and thinking long term. Might need to save up and get new computer or laptop alongside software.

At school have PC and at home a pretty old MacBook Air, just doing a bit of editing at weekend caused it to heat up and with fans booming, sound like an aeroplane taking off.
I have really old version of adobe creative suite at home/school this doesn't include premier.
Use PS a lot and have a little understand of ai and indesign. They aren't the easiest things to learn. Ai I still can't really fathom.
As teacher can get adobe creative cloud on good monthly deal.
Prem from what understand doesn't run well on Mac, whereas Final Cut doesn't work on PC. Suppose I need to investigate things a bit further. One of the regulars at wall makes pro films, I will try and pick his brains next time I see him.
Thanks once again everybody any further insights greatfully appreciated regarding hardware/software mix for editing.

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Video rigs
April 26, 2017, 08:18:51 pm
I always found Sony Vegas to be fairly intuitive but haven't dabbled for a few years now.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#8 Re: Video rigs
April 26, 2017, 08:36:35 pm
I actually paid money for Vegas Pro 13  when Magix took over from Sony and offered it to me for £150 including an upgrade to 14 - I assume this was due to my involvement with Sony's forums as a Vegas 7 user and Sony camera owner a long time ago

not sure I'd ever pay full whack for Vegas Pro, but the less expensive Vegas Movie Studio series of editing programs use the same sort of layout, so worth looking at if you want to be legit

like Paul B I found the Vegas interface pretty intuitive - I'm more inclined towards logic and analytical thought and am not really an art or creativity type of dude

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#9 Re: Video rigs
April 26, 2017, 08:39:32 pm
oh - if your machine is a bit inadequate, investigate whether you can do proxy editing; using low res proxy files for editing and then put it in the freezer whilst rendering the final high res version

not as big a pain in the arse as it sounds once you get with the beat

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#10 Re: Video rigs
April 26, 2017, 09:35:26 pm
oh - if your machine is a bit inadequate
Think this might do the trick,

Could maybe help with the weighted hangs/calf raises/squats/bicep curls.
Nibs probably already has one of these.
Thanks for advice Largers think I might need chest freezer to keep this bad boy cool.
Would be fun to crack this open down the coffee shop, train or plane.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#11 Re: Video rigs
April 26, 2017, 10:44:46 pm

Thanks for advice Lagers think I might need chest freezer to keep this bad boy cool.

it works

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#12 Re: Video rigs
April 27, 2017, 08:25:39 am
I always found Sony Vegas to be fairly intuitive

Me too. Adobe only slightly less so, but OK as I had used Vegas for a while and it's not that different.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#13 Re: Video rigs
April 27, 2017, 10:10:27 am
If you use Vegas you also get the pleasure of using the tutorials made by this amazing guy;D

benpritch

• forum abuser
#14 Re: Video rigs
April 27, 2017, 10:46:24 am
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

I'd say DaVinci Resolve is a good option as it is free and it is getting more and more useful (version 14 about to arrive)The full version is about to come down in price to $299 as well but the free version seems totally usable to me. I'd say it's challenging Premiere as an editor  and for colour correction it already wins hands down. I'm paying £45 per month for Creative Suite and seriously considering learning Resolve so i can opt out of CC.

Anther free one that I don't know anything about is being offered by Avid http://nofilmschool.com/2015/04/avid-just-announced-free-version-their-world-class-nle-media-composer

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#15 Re: Video rigs
April 27, 2017, 11:18:49 am
If you use Vegas you also get the pleasure of using the tutorials made by this amazing guy;D

Just clicked the link, seems like a very nice chap indeed.
Very popular "tutorial" with 56,000 views 8)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#16 Re: Video rigs
April 27, 2017, 11:47:41 am
I looked at this a while ago (think I asked Cowboyhat) and downloaded Shotcut, though I haven't actually used it yet.

Although Lightworks now seems like a more obvious choice.

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/the-best-free-video-editor-1330136

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#17 Re: Video rigs
April 27, 2017, 11:56:49 am
I think with the free version of Lightworks you are limited to exporting to only MPEG4/H.264  720p

which is fine for web stuff

the important thing is that it will import pretty much all formats (I think)

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#18 Re: Video rigs
April 27, 2017, 01:57:13 pm
I looked at this a while ago (think I asked Cowboyhat) and downloaded Shotcut, though I haven't actually used it yet.

Although Lightworks now seems like a more obvious choice.

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/the-best-free-video-editor-1330136
Thanks JB and lagers, had a quick look at review of lightworks
https://dototot.com/why-you-should-and-shouldnt-learn-lightworks-video-editing-software/
Great that it is free, but review says that it is buggy, in terms of file types if you want something out of the ordinary then you would have to pay for Pro version.
Will keep digging around.
Vagas unfortunately wont run on Mac, so that is the end of that unless I get a new computer :-\
Creative Cloud for teacher £16 a month, use photoshop loads at work so might be a good way to go, although supposed to quite slow on mac.
License from Adobe would cover both work PC and mac at home, so that they should sync seamlessly when passing files between the two.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#19 Re: Video rigs
April 27, 2017, 02:47:09 pm
so that they should sync seamlessly when passing files between the two.

Be a first.

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#20 Re: Video rigs
April 27, 2017, 03:05:25 pm
so that they should sync seamlessly when passing files between the two.

Be a first.
IT issues always the same, it wouldn't be the first time that something didn't work properly.
If I go down the adobe route will let you know how I get on, regarding file sharing  ;D

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#21 Re: Video rigs
April 27, 2017, 03:15:50 pm
After a very quick play Shotcut looks a lot gentler on the hardware than Lightworks or Resolve.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#22 Re: Video rigs
April 27, 2017, 04:15:08 pm

Creative Cloud for teacher £16 a month, use photoshop loads at work so might be a good way to go, although supposed to quite slow on mac.

you can do proxy editing with Premier Pro, so might be OK (apart from rendering, but you can leave the machine overnight to do that)

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#23 Re: Video rigs
April 27, 2017, 07:24:54 pm
you can do proxy editing with Premier Pro, so might be OK (apart from rendering, but you can leave the machine overnight to do that)
Gotcha,
Horse power not used for edit but when finally exporting.

You didnt get the idea for this from Dutch Steve mclaren/ Sean Connery

Thanks though lagers have proxys in mind when editing large files.
You seem to know a lot about video, dabbler or pro?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#24 Re: Video rigs
April 27, 2017, 07:31:14 pm
Thanks though lagers have proxys in mind when editing large files.
You seem to know a lot about video, dabbler or pro?

enthusiastic dabbler - but not so much recently

reason I know about proxy editing is from the old HV20 forum (now no longer in existence?)

I edited this on an IBM Thinkpad with a 1.4GHz Celeron and 2 GB of RAM - single core, coz that's what processors used to be (yeah IBM, remember them?)

I did get IDed last Sunday by some bloke called Ben from down south  :wave:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 07:39:45 pm by lagerstarfish »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal