UKBouldering.com

UKB Power Club Week 370 27th March - 2nd April 2017 (Read 13463 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
M > Fri in Tenerife on a field class with 39 students... did alot of walking, but no climbing or training. managed to put on 5 lbs :/ good buffet at the hotel...

Sa: I gave respite leave for MrsTT with TTjnr... good day, he's a happy chap.

Su: Made it out to Helsby. Glorious day, nice connies. Man, was I rusty... creaked up all things up to V5 and failed on the harder stuff. Not too bad for first real climb in over a week, but a little disappointed. Sure it'll come back.

In other body related news I've virtually stopped drinking (just had enough of it really..). 2 G&T's and 2 small Canas (in Tenerife) in the month of March..

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
11.4-6

M. Day 3 of cold, started to feel better in afternoon

T. 

W.

T. AM. Tor. Weather warm and rainy. Crag seeping and greasy. Dogging go on Obscene Toilet 7c then managed to redpoint it first go despite the grease  ;D Had 10 mins rest and then had a second go for training and nearly did it again - ie fell going for large undercut. Longer rest and fell at thin gaston. Went onto Tin Of 7b+ and had to pull on first draw as hold at the end of traverse was gopping. Managed to redpoint to the top by skin of teeth.

F. PM Systems board Did a mega link of the benchmark left hand crusher crimp back down and into the right hand one and so on in to the normal AnCap sequence. Trouble is it goosed me for the rest of the session. Did the normal AnCap circuit 3 times failing on the 4th.

S. PM After much umming when to eatswood. Mainly reworked second half of the original traverse. Pretty tired and powered out unsurprisingly. Got hammered at Hard Grit show.

S.

Glad to have shifted cold pretty quickly. Even better to then do Obscene Toilet. I find it hard - you have to put in a squirt of power after some sapping crimpy wall climbing and then keep good body tension for a few moves after so keen to keep using it as a training route as reckon that is good for the Oak.   

Mina stung me into action with an offhand comment - she thought Id sacked the Oak off. Apparently the Oak was dry on Monday but then the whole crag was condensed on Thursday.  Arranged to go up on Tuesday and Friday. Id like to say I'm psyched out of my gourd. But I'm not.

Got the lawnmower out of hibernation and it started. Maybe a good omen.  :-\ 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 07:23:28 pm by shark »

csl

• junky
Well done on Obscene Toilet Shark!

STG - april

- Boulder > 7A
- 3 days outside
- Do something good in N. Wales

MTG - end of summer

- Do something good in Font

LTG - this time next year

- not sure

Monday

Arch B1

- did red v6 on stepped roof
- attempts on white v7 on prow
- attempts on green v6/7(ish) on main overhang

Tuesday

Rest

Wednesday

Arch B1

Fingerboard 4x 6 second hangs @ -2.5kg on right and -5kg on left

Boulders

- Did white v7 on prow
- tried green v7 on main overhang

Thursday

Rest

Friday

Arch B1

Boulders

- finished both the greens v6/7 + v7 on the main overhang

Saturday

Wedding

Sunday

Hungover

fried

• forum hero
M- Should have gone outside, but slept so badly I couldn't face it...pollen season arrives.
T/W - Nothing, sleep badly, exhauted then find some pills that do the trick.

Th - Refreshed..Beauvais Nainville for another bit of orange circuiting. Did the first 40 or so probs..missed a few. Good to get the feet back on rock but far from perfect. Another nice day out.

Fr- Nothing
Sa - Indoors, 2h. OK.
Su - Nothing

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
STG: Crush Swizzy
MTG: 7C
LTG: 8A

M: Core
T: Showroom in Lincoln, bouldering and auto belay
W: Core
T: Board session in Arch
F: Drive North
S: Anston Stones, did Colt, Beretta and the unnamed 7A at Woody's, nice day. Hard Grit Live in evening was v good  :2thumbsup:
S: Stanage, quick play on Zippy's. Did Glass Hour, pottered around for rest of day. Little vid (someone say if me posting them on here is annoying  :geek:):

Off to Swizzy on Saturday for a week, psyched!

James Malloch

• forum hero
STG - Continue training and have a quick ascent of Tremolo. Don't get injured.
MTG - In the autumn be getting 7c in a session and open account on an 8a. Don't get injured.
LTG - The Groove, Supercool and Statement of Youth. Don't get injured.

M - Girlfriend ill so had a chilled evening.
T - Campus session. Feeling like I was starting to get ill.
W - ill
T - ill
F - ill
S - ill
S - ill

Great week for me last week. This week was a bit crap. It's the kind of ill that doesn't stop you doing things (short walks etc) but where climbing isn't an option and you generally feel crap. Hoping to postpone my Lattice assessment on Wednesday so it's not on my first session back. Hopefully it sods off soon...

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
STG: "Benchmark" moonboard 6B+
MTG (Spring 2017): Redpoint 7b
LTG (<= 5 years): Redpoint 8a before I hit 60.

A fun weekend learning to climb on pebbly conglomerate in the Allgäu area of southwestern Bavaria. Hasn't been one of my normal stamping grounds until now, but it was fun and I'll be back.

M: 40 minutes stretching/mobility
T:   Moonboard. Another easier 6B+ topped.
W: Had planned to do routes at the wall, but had a sore throat and was worried about being sick for the weekend, so ginger tea & early to bed
T: ... which seems to have worked. Moonboard; topped a rather harder 6B+ I've been working on for a while and made significant progress on Wuthering Heights. But ... doing anything at all on the moonboard is pretty much limit bouldering for me and I've established that the optimal rest interval between goes if I don't want to power out & fade too quickly seems to be two songs. This means a session takes bloody ages.
F:
S: Bouldering, Rocklands. Not the one in Africa but rather the justifiably not world famous one in southwestern Bavaria. Pleasant and worthwhile place to spend a day pulling powerful moves on small conglomerate pebbles.
S: Climbing, Allgäu. Quickly became apparent, after pulling pebbly sit starts all day yesterday, that today was going to be a moderate mileage day. Eight pitches up to 6b. Took me a couple of routes to get used to the idea that my feet weren't necessarily going to slide off every conglomerate pebble I stood on, and they weren't all going to break or fall out either, after I which I was able to relax & enjoy the rest of the day.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Nice one, shark.

Mon

AM

Quote from: from last week
Mon - new hard problem set which I eventually did all the moves on but couldn't link two of them together
Fri - couple of attempts on the new problem - managed to link it in four two-move sections.
Needed a long warm up again then managed to link the final 4 moves, then the first four moves. Then started trying it. Fell off crux move 5 a lot, then move 6 a bit, then the final move once before success.

Eve - Intended to do AeroCap but got warmed up in minutes, felt really good and ended up doing AnCap.

Tue Battered - yoga

Wed - Bois d'Est, eventually sussed how to do the move to the crimp rail a bit lot more securely - became 2 in 3 rather than 1 in 10.  Tried from start but kept failing at the foot moves into Kneebar.

Th rest

Fri Bois D'Est. Reworked foot moves into kneebar and wondered what the fuck I'd been playing at before. Got LH on the rail three times, thought I was going to get it last time, Fairly slick through to rail but used the wrong foothold to set up for the bump & match and slithered off trying to swap.

Sat - took nipper to Foundry, had to do a 4 to retrieve the autobelay after she'd failed to lead it.  Felt at least 4+

Sun - deadhanging benchmark retest 8 weeks on. 

Bodyweight now 58kg vs 60kg.
On BM middle slots padded out to 1 joint - 1/2 crimp hung 78kg (134% BW) vs 74kg (123%), F3 drag hung 75kg vs 69kg.
One arm was disappointing, only hung the same as last time, in terms of percentage it's a better score, 90% vs 87%, might be clutching at straws a bit there though.

one set of 4x4.

Gonna be a short week this week with a massage tomorrow taking out Tuesday as well. Just booked a holiday to Devon for the following week so I'll concentrate on energy systems this week as Devon will be mostly bouldering (although I will be packing kit just in case the chance to get to Anstey's arises).

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Nice one, shark.

Ta

Quote from: from last week
Mon - new hard problem set which I eventually did all the moves on but couldn't link two of them together
Fri - couple of attempts on the new problem - managed to link it in four two-move sections.
Needed a long warm up again then managed to link the final 4 moves, then the first four moves. Then started trying it. Fell off crux move 5 a lot, then move 6 a bit, then the final move once before success.

Be good if we tried each others boards out sometime.

Fri Bois D'Est. Reworked foot moves into kneebar and wondered what the fuck I'd been playing at before. Got LH on the rail three times, thought I was going to get it last time, Fairly slick through to rail but used the wrong foothold to set up for the bump & match and slithered off trying to swap.

Look strong. Surprised you dont shake pout on the jug though

user deactivated

Alright there, doesn't eatswood traverse start by dropping in from the jug at the base of corpse crack? For the full tick....

dave

nah starts at the crack

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Alright there, doesn't eatswood traverse start by dropping in from the jug at the base of corpse crack? For the full tick....

Probably should do but Peak Bouldering says sitting with hand in crack. Most do it this way. Rich Heap cant remember where he started

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams

Because it's not a rest? Don't think we're ever going to agree on the best places to shake out.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Power Club

Mon -  rest.
Tue - climbing gym in Campitello.
Wed - rest.
Thu - climbing gym in Salzburg. Amazing place.
Fri - rest.
Sat - dumbbell complex 25 x 4.
Sun - power recruitment: cleans, snatches and broad jumps. Board climbing, good! Elbow not too bad. Boxing bag. It's good to be back on the board.

Good week of vacation. Ate and drank quite a lot, somehow walking a lot helped limiting the damage. Salzburg was amazing and the city monuments weren't bad either.

dave

Because it's not a rest? Don't think we're ever going to agree on the best places to shake out.

Shakeouts are against the spirit of bouldering.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

Shakeouts are against the spirit of bouldering.

I think of it as a route (8a)

T_B

• forum hero
M - P.M. Homeboard (struggling with dodgy shoulder), followed by Repeaters. 3 x 6 x 7 front 3, failed on 4th rep of 3rd set back 3 (2.5 mins rest). Managed 3 reps of half crimp but knew I wasn't up to/into it.

T - P.M. Burbage 1.5 hours warming up inc Remergence block before had to come home due to ill child.

W - Lunch run up ski village. Generally felt fine. Could feel tendon to begin with as I warmed up. Didn't have to hold back on the descents.

T - P.M. Works with R. M'board (2 x 7a+, 7b, 7b+), 1 x comp wall problem, 4 x Murples, plus tried 3 others (the 3 on the skips that Mrs T_B flashed, much to her amusement).

F - Am ran to work. Lunch. Lattice. Broken 1/4s. 35 x 3, failed on 4th rep @ 14 moves, 32 x 4, 32 x 2, failed on 3rd rep @ 14. Not super pysched, bit tired from this am's run?

S - Tor. 4-hr sess. Felt really good warming up. 5 or 6 attempts at PUTPB slapping for split crimp. Felt a bit weak on the lock, but everything else (fingers, forearms, general power levels) felt good. Nearly repeated Powerhumps (which I find desperate). P.M. Run up Limb valley with strides coming down. Cut a longer run short, as quads felt hammered from jumping off PUTP.

S -

Arrived at the Tor 10am Sunday and nearly sacked it off as it was so smeggy, but in the end had a really good session not least because I had loads of time. Had my first session this yr trying Pump up the Powerband and whilst I didn't repeat PUTP I tickled the gaston and on my attempts from the start of PBand I was slapping the split crimp. I definitely felt less wasted falling off at that point and I had a lot of goes, so overall v pleased. The weakness is my locking strength. Both the move to the split crimp and the move to the gaston are big, static locks.

My shoulder (it's not the lat as previously thought) improved as the week went on, so I'm not worried about it. A little bit limiting though on certain moves.

Ankle is a lot better and managed 3 x short runs.

Temps cooler this week so hoping to get back on BSMA, then off to the Lakes Friday.

Murph

• forum abuser
Minimal Training Plan
Plan: 4x rehab, 3x fingerboard, fast til lunch thru week, no chocolate, no bread
Goals: 7B lime, +40kg 14mm fb, fighting weight

M- rehab
T- lunch session at plantation, repeated Zippys Traverse 7B in short order, twice. Good times.
Evening - fb max hangs, +33kgs on 20mm, felt easy
W- rehab
T- quick works session looking to do volume but got distracted. Head wasn't in it.
Home - fb max hangs, decided to test max so built up to +45.5kgs for 10s on 20mm edge. That's all my weights but still not really "max".
F- rehab
S- rehab
S- family burb south session. No big scores to report but good session. Fingertips worn out tho so excused myself fingerboard.

Diet adherence: good thru week but a couple of small lapses at weekend.
Weight: still fighting +8kg

If I had any sense I would not be training my obvious strength but instead one of my many weaknesses. But compliance! I'll give it til the end of the month.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
Nice one Shark!

Effort Nai, looked like you pathed it on the vid, next time for sure!

M: Lunch -
3 x 10 Press-ups
3 x 10 Shoulder rotations (4kg)
3 x 10 Scapula Pull-ups
3 x (5 x 5s) L-Hangs
3 x 5 reps of IYT's (4kg)
3 x 10 Inverted rows
2 x 10 Eccentric curls (8kg)

T: Lunch -
2 x 10 Press-ups
2 x 10 Shoulder rotations (4kg)
2 x 10 Outward shoulder rotations (4kg)
2 x 10 Tricep curls (8kg)
2 x 20s L-Hang
2 x 5 reps of IYT's (4kg)
2 x 10 Eccentric curls (8kg)

Eve: Pantymwyn - Re-worked my beta for the sit start to Panty's (7B), Got a more solid method that still has a hard move but is more consistent and less contorted. Best go I fell off the last move of the whole thing... Surprised myself! Had another go from the sit and failed after the crux of the stand when I put my heel in the wrong place. Next session for sure!

T: Lunch -
30 Crunches (+7.5kg)
20s Side planks (+6kg)
5 x 5sec L-hangs
5 Leg raises to bar
3 x 10 Dorsal raises (+5kg)
5 x 5sec L-hangs
5 Leg raises to bar
2 x 5 reps of IYT's (4kg)

Eve: Boardroom - Loads of problems up to about 6C and tried a bunch of harder ones. Half an hour on the Moonboard, managed to flash a 6C. 10 mins Aerocap warm down. Insanely busy and boiling hot at the wall, made it really difficult to enjoy. Apart from the training area that place just makes me hate indoor climbing.

F: Daughters 1st Birthday, proud Dad!

S: Party at our house for Daughters birthday. First time we've hosted anything even though we moved in 3 years ago, actually really enjoyable and not as stressful as we thought it would be!

S: Zoo with the family, great weather. Had planned on a late evening hit on Pantymwyn but too tired and got in too late, going tomorrow instead.

psborland

• regular
Luke, Happy days make the most they grow so fast .

Decided to go a bit easier this week feeling worn out and generally feeling old right now .

M: Indoor routes LI: 6a;6a+;6b;6b;6c;6c+ 6a;6a;6a;6a+

T: Core routine b 2 sets (need to work back up to 4) . Press ups 3 x 30

W: Max hangs with  alternating dead lifts and stretching between a' la Steve Bechtel integrated strength.  80;80;85;90kg x7.
   What does everyone else do for max hangs ? Middle bottom hold on BM 10 seconds each hand then 3 minutes rest x 9 . Webb Parsons style ??

Th: none

F: Is pushing the lawnmower through 8 inch long grass antagonist training ? Felt like some kind of training anyway

Sa:

Su: Fun day easy sport routes.

Murph

• forum abuser
S: Stanage, quick play on Zippy's. Did Glass Hour, pottered around for rest of day. Little vid (someone say if me posting them on here is annoying  :geek:):

Keep the videos coming I reckon. I enjoy seeing them.

& crush hard in Swiss :thumbsup:

Duma

• forum hero
Goals:
8A (Hunters Roof? Full Power?)and 8b by June
In shape for SA in summer.

Body Audit: Middle RH finger bit tender but nothing major
Sleep: OK.
69kg.

M: nothing (~7hrs, 2dk)
T: TCA, New hard set (Blacks), 10 -15 problems. mostly mid to high 6's, couple of low 7's (~7hrs, 1dk)
W: Bloc, Had been uni comp during the day so went round those, all but one, did all finals too. Some fun stuff but only a couple of tricky things so limited training value tbh. 40 min on woody after though which was good. (~6.5hrs, 2dk)
T: TCA, Blacks again, some trickier stuff, only the hard ones left now. Pleased to flash the 45 (~7B?) but not feeling as strong as I have recently on the really steep stuff  (~7hrs, 0dk)
F: Nothing (~7.5hrs, 0dk)
S: Nothing, had couple of hours free while daughter was at a party, could have nipped to the wall, sat in the sun on the habourside and drank cider instead.  :beer2: :whip: (~7.5hrs, 5dk)
S: Nothing, beach with daughter (~7hrs, 3dk)

OK week. Sunshine makes more booze and less training very tempting though.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube

Keep the videos coming I reckon. I enjoy seeing them.

& crush hard in Swiss :thumbsup:
Cheers, will do  :2thumbsup:

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber

What does everyone else do for max hangs ? Middle bottom hold on BM 10 seconds each hand then 3 minutes rest x 9 . Webb Parsons style ??

Typically do lopez style max hangs. 5x10sec 2-arm weighted.  Look them up for specifics.

csl

• junky

Have done Steve Maisch style and currently doing basically the above, 1 arm on bottom middle hold x 8 2 mins rest, adding a second each week to go from 6 to 10 seconds, then reducing the assistance and going back to 6 seconds.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal