UKBouldering.com

Mild cubital tunnel syndrome? (Read 3150 times)

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
Mild cubital tunnel syndrome?
April 18, 2017, 04:33:13 pm
For couple of years I have periodically had a bit of golfers elbow in both arms but in the last year I have noticed something slightly different. As well as mild soreness (very mild, not bad enough to stop climbing) in front of the medial epicondyle (ie towards the hand)  I have also had some discomfort between the ME and the tip of the elbow. Some reading has led me to think this may be cubital tunnel syndrome. I also get a sharp pain when I lean on a very specific area of the tip of the elbow for example on a desk or rolling over in bed and I have read that this may also be a sign of cubital tunnel syndrome or ulnar nerve entrapment in the elbow. Dave MacLeod's book mentions that ulnar nerve involvement is seen in a large proportion of golfers elbow and mentions Tinel's sign as a test for this, I have been unable to recreate any numbness or tingling in the pinky or ring fingers though.

Anybody able to confirm what is causing this? Had this? Any suggestions for improving it? Could this be related to bad shoulder posture or tight muscles in back or chest?

It's not bad enough to stop me climbing but definitely feels like it is worth dealing with!

THANKS

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#1 Re: Mild cubital tunnel syndrome?
April 18, 2017, 05:48:34 pm
I have something similar... A fall onto my elbow hitting a rock led to symptoms of cubital tunnel syndrome. After a load of rest and some physio, I get pain after climbing (golfer's and tennis) and also pain in the small anconeus muscle. This has been going on for about 6 months so also interested to here any solution...

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#2 Re: Mild cubital tunnel syndrome?
April 18, 2017, 05:55:00 pm
I have something that sounds similar. Manifested as classic golfers but i was sceptical of that as i hadn't had a trauma, volume was steady and it would come and go. It came on at the same time as neck and shoulder issues and i suspected it was related.
Physio did a bit of prodding and reckoned it was down to knots in the forearm, which is quite tender in the belly, and diagnosed foam rolling and self massage. It will disappear completely but temporarily after a bit of poking and rolling.
I've been climbing at full​ intensity (on physio advice) with a bit of discomfort occasionally but it hasn't gotten any worse.
Reckon it's the sort of thing one of those armaid devices would sort out, and there are a lot of folk thinking they've got golfers when they haven't.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#3 Re: Mild cubital tunnel syndrome?
April 18, 2017, 08:40:01 pm
That elbow-tip pain is a symptom of tight triceps in my experience.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#4 Re: Mild cubital tunnel syndrome?
April 19, 2017, 09:37:06 am
Thanks very much for the replies.

I have something similar... A fall onto my elbow hitting a rock led to symptoms of cubital tunnel syndrome

I also hit my elbow pretty hard in a fall about a year ago, no major pain at the time but later on I thought I might have some kind of tiny fracture or chip on my elbow that was taking a long time to heal. Seems pretty unlikely though as I have no problem with range of motion.

diagnosed foam rolling and self massage

That elbow-tip pain is a symptom of tight triceps in my experience.

Will give these a go and report back. I think I will benefit from daily stretching of tight triceps, shoulders and chest anyway so can't lose really!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal