UKBouldering.com

Volunteers sought for BMC Governance Review (Read 5401 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/volunteers-sought-for-bmc-governance-review

Volunteers are sought to take part in a BMC Governance Review. The review aims to update the constitution of the BMC to ensure that it is ready to meet any future challenges.

This independent review will be led by Ray Wigglesworth QC. Ray – an active climber and mountaineer – was appointed as the Chair following the BMC National Council meeting on 23 April 2017.

The National Council voted on the terms of reference and constitution of the committee, but left two places vacant, giving Ray the discretion to appoint two persons who would be willing to volunteer and sit on the Governance Review Group. 

“Ideally, I would like to appoint directly from the BMC membership,” explained Ray. “This is a very interesting opportunity to be involved with remodeling the structure and Articles of Association of the BMC.”

Ray is looking for:
1. A person with commercial experience in corporate law
2. A person with experience and knowledge of the structure of a charity, trust, social enterprise or large membership-based organisation.

The Group is also looking for a Secretary with strong administrative skills (this is a non-voting position).

If this sounds like you, please apply to raywqc@hotmail.co.uk, giving a very brief description of your qualifications and experience.

The timescale will be six months, starting on 1 May 2017. The meetings will be in Manchester and via video conference link.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
The Group is also looking for a Secretary with strong administrative skills (this is a non-voting position).

Nominate that bloke from the Wedgie Wall FA video.

tomtom

• forum hero
Not being funny, but whilst drawing from the membership will likely make the person a climber - er by being a member they won't be very independent will they. And if it's not an independent review then what's the point?

I nominate our cat Ziggy. He's not a member but just down the road from BMC's Didsbury bond lair so no need for videoconferencing.

He's got the sharpest legal feline mind this side of the Pennines.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
looking for a corporate lawyer to do some unpaid work

:lol:

;) obvs

danm

• junky
Not being funny, but whilst drawing from the membership will likely make the person a climber - er by being a member they won't be very independent will they. And if it's not an independent review then what's the point?

Ray, who is leading the review, is apparently an experienced climber but has never been a member or been involved with the BMC. I think we've been lucky and the stars have aligned on this one, however, your pussy looks cute and I'd give them the job if it was up to me.

tomtom

• forum hero
Sorry - didn't mean Ray - meant those he was hoping to appoint etc..

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Sorry - didn't mean Ray - meant those he was hoping to appoint etc..

By independent it means independent of the current regime ie no BMC staff. However, it is helpful to have support from a varied team of people that already at least partially understands the BMC so makes sense to draw from current and former volunteers and other members.

Believe me the BMC is a complicated beast to comprehend being a member organisation, a quality assurance body, an NGB for comp climbing, a charity, a trading organisation etc etc so having an insight already is key particularly as there are demanding timescales to meet.

Ultimately Ray will be the one forming an independent opinion derived from evaluating varied and conflicting views and making his recommendations and signing it off.     

andy popp

• forum hero
A job for Sloper, surely?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre

This is probably less ironic than it first appears. Tom is actually pretty useful between bouts of abrasive insult slinging...

tomtom

• forum hero

This is probably less ironic than it first appears. Tom is actually pretty useful between bouts of abrasive insult slinging...

Slower knows Ru and I'm sure still lurks on here from time to time ;) so is probably well aware....

Ziggy has now had a better offer from the old lady across the road who gives him second dinners... BMC's loss... the ex Hartlepool mayor is probably available...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones

"A very warm welcome to the BMC AGM 2018. Subsequent to our governance review there are to be a few changes this year. We'll get down to business shortly, and then I do hope that you'll join us at dinner later. Even now the chefs are preparing the duck confit. We'll then retire to the newly converted Billiards Room where cigars and port will be served.
Now, to our first order of business. A petition brought by the executive to mandate that 5.10 produce a version of their popular Guide approach shoe in the style of a fine pair of gentleman's brogues."

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee

"A very warm welcome to the BMC AGM 2018. Subsequent to our governance review there are to be a few changes this year. We'll get down to business shortly, and then I do hope that you'll join us at dinner later. Even now the chefs are preparing the duck confit. We'll then retire to the newly converted Billiards Room where cigars and port will be served.
Now, to our first order of business. A petition brought by the executive to mandate that 5.10 produce a version of their popular Guide approach shoe in the style of a fine pair of gentleman's brogues."

All spellcheckers have been set to high alert for the use of the word "program".

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Slower knows Ru and I'm sure still lurks on here from time to time

I hope that wasn't deliberate.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal