UKBouldering.com

BMC No Confidence Motion (split from the Why aren't you a BMC member? thread) (Read 72248 times)

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
That really is pants. What's this about natural rock competitions, by the way? Not heard that rumour.

It is bullshit.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Absolutely shameful. They say in that letter:

This undercover re-branding exercise cost the BMC
£25,000

This is a flat lie. They're gathering up proxies based on barefaced lies. Given how few vote in the AGM this is definitely going to go through if we don't mobilise people to vote it down.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
Also just out... how the BMC Bond villains took on the traditional AC defenders of all things honest and open:

http://www.vagabondmc.com/news/bmc_response

Duma

• forum hero
What an unmitigated crock of shit.

Proxy vote sent.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
Should discussion of the vote get split to its own thread to raise its profile.

Depressing BS this.

Teaboy

• forum hero
If there is a case to answer it's certainly not made in that letter. It was just vague ramblings and the one thing of substance it did say was incorrect. I've still not seen one thing on what the proposed alternative is, if I was of the mind to seek change at the BMC I don't think I'd be hitching my wagon to this train.

erm, sam

• forum hero
If i joined the BMC now, would I be able to vote by proxy?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero

Nails

• addict
I've just joined online here: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/membership

My previous membership had lapsed. If you're prepared to fill in a direct debit you get it for half price £15.72.

The confirmation email says that I'll receive my membership number within ten days with my membership card. I'm assuming that this will allow me to vote. If not then I'll have spent £15 on the BMC which I should have got around to doing anyway.

Needless to say, though I am not completely uncritical of the BMC, I think this whole no-confidence fandango is a pile of shite. Other than Steve Venables I don't think there's anyone on that list below 70 (indeed a number are in their 80s). I do have respect for some of them and their historical achievements, but they're hardly equipped to lead the BMC through the 21st century.

Make no mistake that if this no-confidence motion succeeds then it will effectively mean the dissolution of the current BMC management with no plan or even thought as to what to replace it with. It's effectively a vote to have no representative body for British climbing at all. How bizarre is that?

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks

It's effectively a vote to have no representative body for British climbing at all.

Maybe the Alpine Club could resume it's position at the helm of British climbing.

Nails

• addict
I've just confirmed with the BMC that joining now will enable me to vote at the AGM which can be done with the proxy voting card https://www.thebmc.co.uk/Handlers/DownloadHandler.ashx?id=1439

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Maybe the Alpine Club could resume it's position at the helm of British climbing.

That does seem to be the real agenda.

And the future governance plan also becomes clear: future AGM voting to be limited however many people fit in the (pipe-) smoker's lounge at the P-y-G (residents only). Perhaps with some kind of concession to the pleb upstarts down the road at Helyg & Ynys Ettws.

dave

I've just confirmed with the BMC that joining now will enable me to vote at the AGM which can be done with the proxy voting card https://www.thebmc.co.uk/Handlers/DownloadHandler.ashx?id=1439

Might be worth noting here that for those of you like me who are too lazy to stop your car by a postbox on your way home from work you can in fact email in your proxy voting form to office@thebmc.co.uk

Duma

• forum hero

Might be worth noting here that for those of you like me who are too lazy to stop your car by a postbox on your way home from work you can in fact email in your proxy voting form to office@thebmc.co.uk

this is what I've done, had a confirmation email confirming receipt promptly too.

Nails

• addict
Has to be handwritten signature though and scanned.

Duma

• forum hero
yeah - just print form, fill it out, take pic on phone, email to bmc.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth

It's effectively a vote to have no representative body for British climbing at all.

Maybe in their fantasies. The real world of climbing, mountaineering and hillwalking has moved on. When the real democracy of full BMC membership is tested (let alone the views of the wider participant group), with the full facts in view, they will just lose votes on their position again. Given the potentially unrepresentative nature of the AGM and the scheming and misinformation from Bob and co, influencing many involved at club level who don't use internet forums (and may have taken views on trust that are infact untrue or highly distorted) and who may have already voted. Because of this there must be a strong argument to ignore a successful but marginal AGM no confidence vote and put the question to the full membership directly with arguments on both sides, to ensure a fair result. If no confidence wins and isn't challenged, good people will lose jobs, great volunteer experience will be burnt and the organisation will as a minimum lose focus (in difficult times) through the need to rebuild, with a risk the organisation as we know it could be lost entirely to be replaced by a shadow of its former self.

I urge people to use their proxy voting rights.

petejh

• forum hero
While I agree with the sentiments that people use their vote/proxy vote or whatever it's called, is it too much to ask for there to be a simple and secure online voting system for BMC members to make their views known in important matters? Yes, I'm a lazy and easily-distracted product of my environment; but you've got to work with what you have and what you have is a lot of people who aren't members of 'the letter-writing generation' that Pettigrew et al come from. An online voting system would swing the balance right back in favour of the younger generation and away from the old-guard.

jshaw

• addict
yeah - just print form, fill it out, take pic on phone, email to bmc.

Did this. Had a reply within the hour confirming receipt.

Teaboy

• forum hero
While I agree with the sentiments that people use their vote/proxy vote or whatever it's called, is it too much to ask for there to be a simple and secure online voting system for BMC members to make their views known in important matters? Yes, I'm a lazy and easily-distracted product of my environment; but you've got to work with what you have and what you have is a lot of people who aren't members of 'the letter-writing generation' that Pettigrew et al come from. An online voting system would swing the balance right back in favour of the younger generation and away from the old-guard.

I'm like you, though not as young, but I don't think there's anything wrong with these things requiring a bit of effort. It's probably how we got to this point in the first place, a lot of online outrage about Climb Britain emboldening the proposers but ultimately meaningless. If a view is worth being heard it's worth the originator spending a few minutes getting it out there.

dave

An online voting system would swing the balance right back in favour of the younger generation and away from the old-guard.

Now there's an thought.

petejh

• forum hero
Ha, I know what you're thinking. I take it back! Will of the (old) peepull..

Paul B

• forum hero

:agree: and in general supplying paper copies of bills etc. for proof of identity. Paperless billing is pretty standard these days!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Well, I was either going to wait until I saw Shark in Bristol or pm him, or something (like forget or prevaricate).
But I can make it a little bit of a statement of support, instead.

Simon, does the BMC have promotional materials (posters etc) which I can put up around the wall?
Because I think I'd actually like to actively promote membership amongst my customers and particularly amongst the hordes of teenagers here, who probably think the BMC just make "Warm up!" Posters or "Holds may spin" signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

galpinos

• forum hero

Wasn't it mentioned upthread (or maybe on UKC) that the articles of the BMC currently forced this somewhat archaic system but they were in the process of being overhauled?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal