UKBouldering.com

"Adult ADHD" (Read 19047 times)

dr_botnik

• addict
  • Not actually a dr
#50 Re: "Adult ADHD"
February 21, 2017, 06:26:32 pm
And now in the U.K.
I actually work in this field and the over diagnosis of ADHD in children is statistically evidenced. When we assess children for this, we often like to observe the family too as in some cases a depressed parent with a reasonably active child will be false flagged as ADHD.
Since the rules have changed around benefit payments, we expect to see a drop in reported cases of ADHD and a rise in ASD as the former no longer provides an easy ticket  to benefits whilst the latter now does :worms:

webbo

• forum hero
#51 Re: "Adult ADHD"
February 21, 2017, 06:43:52 pm
And now in the U.K.
I actually work in this field and the over diagnosis of ADHD in children is statistically evidenced. When we assess children for this, we often like to observe the family too as in some cases a depressed parent with a reasonably active child will be false flagged as ADHD.
Since the rules have changed around benefit payments, we expect to see a drop in reported cases of ADHD and a rise in ASD as the former no longer provides an easy ticket  to benefits whilst the latter now does :worms:
At least it has reduced the number of people who have diagnosed themselves as having Bi polar disorder. Who turn up for an assessment and ask if you can fill in their benefit claim form.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#52 Re: "Adult ADHD"
February 22, 2017, 12:39:27 pm

A: your peers?
B: your family ?
C: Society at large?

Normal.
Normal.
Normal.

I don't think I'm any different in any major way to anyone. Nor do I imagine probably are you, or anyone else on this forum. I'm sure you know people who drive you up the wall for whatever reason. That's just people.

That said, there's a guy at work (doesn't work for me, but within the larger company) who's been diagnosed with adhd and he's most definitely noticeably different and can be quite hard to deal with if you don't know - verbally aggressive, erratic, argumentative and very hyper-active sometimes. Very good at his job of building things. Total nightmare if ever left in a position where he can talk to clients.

I think that's more or less my point...

Not being funny, that has me in "warrants investigation" but I'm quite sure I don't have ADHD.

My kids would all be in the extreme right column, mind you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or, at least I was wondering how widespread these traits might be, in general and within our little oddball community.

I'm fairly sure my habits are more annoying than damaging, but I know it's not "normal".
One of the worst, is starting a conversation halfway through. That is somehow imagining I've already said/heard the opening part of the discussion, when in fact no one has spoken.
This also manifests as changing subject in the middle of a discussion, because I've run through all the scenarios I think are relevant, whilst talking and my brain has shifted to the next problem; leaving everyone else baffled.
If other people do this frequently, I've not noticed.

I agree entirely that this doesn't constitute ADHD or any other disorder beyond "Being an annoying git" Syndrome. I think it comes under that "Dilettante" heading, mentioned above.

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. I always forget to put those smiley things...

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#53 Re: "Adult ADHD"
February 22, 2017, 03:50:26 pm
One of the worst, is starting a conversation halfway through. That is somehow imagining I've already said/heard the opening part of the discussion, when in fact no one has spoken.
This also manifests as changing subject in the middle of a discussion, because I've run through all the scenarios I think are relevant, whilst talking and my brain has shifted to the next problem; leaving everyone else baffled.

I can definitely relate to both of these behavioural traits.
Also finishing other people's sentences because I'm too impatient to wait for the words to come from their brain to their lips - this was on the questionnaire i linked to in the original post.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#54 Re: "Adult ADHD"
February 22, 2017, 04:00:36 pm

I can definitely relate to both of these behavioural traits.
Also finishing other people's sentences because I'm too impatient to wait for the words to come from their brain to their lips - this was on the questionnaire i linked to in the original post.

I don't know if I'm slowing down as I get older, but my mum (and others I think) do this to me quite a lot!  It's usually when I'm mulling through something while thinking about the best way to express it. It goes like:

Me: "I was thinking about x, y or z and.....[pause for thought]"
Mum: "X"
Me: "no"
Mum: "Y"
me: "No"
Mum: "Z"
Me: "For god sake mum, shut up minute and let me finish my own sentence, because you don;t have a clue about what I'm thinking" sheeesh!!!

Annoying!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#55 Re: "Adult ADHD"
February 22, 2017, 04:25:02 pm
That's just conversations with impatient females.

Durbs

• forum hero
#56 Re: "Adult ADHD"
February 22, 2017, 04:45:12 pm
And now in the U.K.

What do you work in? My Mrs is a Clin. Psy. for CAMHS, on a split-post between ASD (and associated issues) and BEN (Behavioural & Educational Needs). Lots of family work as you mention. Her opinion coming from a different area is lots of over-diagnosis of ASD - partly driven as that's the easiest/fastest way to progress treatment. She's always quite surprised how keen some parents are to get a diagnosis, whereas the Dr's (at least the Psychologists) aren't big fans of attaching a label of "Autism" to kid.

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#57 Re: "Adult ADHD"
February 22, 2017, 04:56:03 pm

despite having a given name often mistakenly considered feminine I am an impatient MALE.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#58 Re: "Adult ADHD"
February 22, 2017, 04:58:44 pm

despite having a given name often mistakenly considered feminine I am an impatient MALE.

Sorry, I was referring to Fultonius's post.

ducko

• forum abuser
#59 Re: "Adult ADHD"
February 22, 2017, 05:29:08 pm
The mind is a complex thing I think it's important to get accurate information on any potential condition so you can make steps to best manage it. Mental health is being taken more seriously these days which is a good thing. Good luck

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#60 Re: "Adult ADHD"
February 22, 2017, 05:48:04 pm

Sorry, I was referring to Fultonius's post.

Non offence taken I was trying to make a joke (poorly)

dr_botnik

• addict
  • Not actually a dr
#61 Re: "Adult ADHD"
February 22, 2017, 06:02:34 pm
whereas the Dr's (at least the Psychologists) aren't big fans of attaching a label of "Autism" to kid.

That's it. Sticking a label on things can sometimes change how you perceive the thing itself... Just look at "best before" dates on kiwi's in a supermarket, they aren't even ripe yet but get thrown away.. Imagine telling a kid they have a condition, once they get that label it's there for life, could affect the way they see themselves, how their teachers/employers/insurance agencies/etc view them later in life so there's always a complex tension between what a clinician (like your missus) sees as a presentation and what is ethical to give as a diagnosis. Honestly though, working in care work, there isn't a day goes by where there isn't some sort of ethical debate to be had. Kind of what makes it interesting, that and actually getting to help people...

p.s. messaged you, have an idea who your missus is but might be wrong

webbo

• forum hero
#62 Re: "Adult ADHD"
February 22, 2017, 06:20:43 pm
And now in the U.K.

What do you work in? My Mrs is a Clin. Psy. for CAMHS, on a split-post between ASD (and associated issues) and BEN (Behavioural & Educational Needs). Lots of family work as you mention. Her opinion coming from a different area is lots of over-diagnosis of ASD - partly driven as that's the easiest/fastest way to progress treatment. She's always quite surprised how keen some parents are to get a diagnosis, whereas the Dr's (at least the Psychologists) aren't big fans of attaching a label of "Autism" to kid.
I worked with a Clinical Psychologist who was an expert in diagnosing Aspergers. He found that some parents would push for this to be diagnosed as one of the alternative reasons for their child's behavioural problems would they were part of a dysfunctional family. :worms:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal