UKBouldering.com

IFSC 2017 (Read 92739 times)

teapot

• regular
#250 Re: IFSC 2017
June 10, 2017, 07:18:50 pm
Garnbret misses the final!  Experience of Coxsey and Puccio to both avoid the low % move on problem 4.

teapot

• regular
#251 Re: IFSC 2017
June 11, 2017, 01:50:12 am
Great female comp and win from Shauna. Chon proves again he is definitely not just a crimp machine.

Danny

• junky
#252 Re: IFSC 2017
June 11, 2017, 07:36:44 pm
Love how psyched Chon is. As one commentator was speculating that Shauna would struggle on W3 all I could think was "nah". This was a good eg of comp without lots of gimmicky problems, with lots of tops, and with a good, fair split of the field. Enjoyed.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#253 Re: IFSC 2017
June 15, 2017, 09:58:11 am
This was a good eg of comp without lots of gimmicky problems, with lots of tops, and with a good, fair split of the field. Enjoyed.

Jakob Schubert, on FB, disagrees!

"I have to say that in my opinion the setting of our group's Qualifiers wasn't divers at all. 3 out of 5 boulders were slabs and only one boulder was pure fitness on holds, some might say that's the new style of bouldering, but in my opinion it's bad setting. Bouldering shouldn't only be about standing on your feet.. When you are done with Qualification and feel like you haven't even climbed today since no boulders were exhausting at all it just feels wrong to me.

I like to fight in boulders, feel the physical strain. Sure slabby boulders are part of the game but they shouldn't be the most important thing in my opinion. Crimps, slopers, pinches, big moves, campusing, jumps, coordination, toe hooks, heel hooks, power endurance,...there are so many things, that's what I love about this sport.

To be fair, it was difficult for the routesetters because the wall in Vail is not great and they did a very good job in both semis and finals. But still I wanna shout out to all routesetters to try to set more divers in the future in all rounds and espacially also in Qualifiers, I don't think the randomness that some Qualification rounds had, are good for this sport. there shouldn't be only crimpy boulders nor only volume boulders nor only slabby ones.. lately holds have fallen out of favor and huge volumes that look cool have taken over, but a mix of both of them would be the best in my opinion.

The style of a lot of boulders has nothing to do with rockclimbing anymore, that's a fact, whether you think it's good or bad is a matter of opinion. In my opinion some funky boulders are definitely fun, but I don't think we should forget the origins of this sport!"

I'm unclear if his beef is with parkour-style run and jump (some way from the origins of the sport), or slabby routes in general (quite the opposite), or if he's just bitter because he didn't do well.

standard

• obsessive maniac
#254 Re: IFSC 2017
June 15, 2017, 10:01:47 am
mccoll also moaned about there being 3 slabs.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#255 Re: IFSC 2017
June 15, 2017, 01:25:46 pm
parkour-style run and jump (some way from the origins of the sport)

This is a myth. Technical jumps have been a recorded part of climbing ever since the earliest days. As have people moaning about them.

andy_e

• forum hero
#256 Re: IFSC 2017
June 15, 2017, 02:10:02 pm
Interesting comments from Jakob. I wonder how competitors would approach a big move to a Jacques Cousteau bolted on to the wall.

finbarrr

• obsessive maniac
#257 Re: IFSC 2017
June 15, 2017, 03:05:13 pm
This was a good eg of comp without lots of gimmicky problems, with lots of tops, and with a good, fair split of the field. Enjoyed.

"I have to say that in my opinion the setting of our group's Qualifiers wasn't divers at all. 3 out of 5 boulders were slabs and only one boulder was pure fitness on holds, some might say that's the new style of bouldering, but in my opinion it's bad setting. Bouldering shouldn't only be about standing on your feet.. When you are done with Qualification and feel like you haven't even climbed today since no boulders were exhausting at all it just feels wrong to me.

I like to fight in boulders, feel the physical strain. Sure slabby boulders are part of the game but they shouldn't be the most important thing in my opinion. Crimps, slopers, pinches, big moves, campusing, jumps, coordination, toe hooks, heel hooks, power endurance,...there are so many things, that's what I love about this sport.

To be fair, it was difficult for the routesetters because the wall in Vail is not great and they did a very good job in both semis and finals. But still I wanna shout out to all routesetters to try to set more divers in the future in all rounds and espacially also in Qualifiers, I don't think the randomness that some Qualification rounds had, are good for this sport. there shouldn't be only crimpy boulders nor only volume boulders nor only slabby ones.. lately holds have fallen out of favor and huge volumes that look cool have taken over, but a mix of both of them would be the best in my opinion.

The style of a lot of boulders has nothing to do with rockclimbing anymore, that's a fact, whether you think it's good or bad is a matter of opinion. In my opinion some funky boulders are definitely fun, but I don't think we should forget the origins of this sport!"

I'm unclear if his beef is with parkour-style run and jump (some way from the origins of the sport), or slabby routes in general (quite the opposite), or if he's just bitter because he didn't do well.

No disagreement; Jacob was talking about the qualifiers. We only saw the semi's and finals, "everyone" agreed they were good.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#258 Re: IFSC 2017
June 15, 2017, 05:41:17 pm

Jakob and Sean are talking about the quals, others are talking about semi finals and finals as that is what they saw on the stream.

Edit: should have read all replies before posting!

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#259 Re: IFSC 2017
June 15, 2017, 05:43:21 pm
parkour-style run and jump (some way from the origins of the sport)

This is a myth. Technical jumps have been a recorded part of climbing ever since the earliest days. As have people moaning about them.

Yep, you were at Andy Popp's stag do at Ravensheugh  :agree:

teapot

• regular
#260 Re: IFSC 2017
June 21, 2017, 02:11:03 pm
Navi Mumbai penultimate Worldcup this weekend.

According to my calculations the semi-final kicks off at 5.30am on Sunday, then the final is 2.30pm

According to a press briefing Shauna only needs to place 9th or higher to win again overall - which is coincidentally where she placed last year in Mumbai.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#261 Re: IFSC 2017
June 21, 2017, 05:44:04 pm
Hope she doesn't struggle too much in the heat, seems to be her weakeness.

teapot

• regular
#262 Re: IFSC 2017
June 21, 2017, 08:37:53 pm
Hope she doesn't struggle too much in the heat, seems to be her weakeness.

Garnbret is apparently not there which is a shame, but definitely takes the pressure off.

Personally I would like the podium positions still to be up for grabs in the final, but I am sure Shauna will cope with the heat fine and come away with another title.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#263 Re: IFSC 2017
June 23, 2017, 06:39:14 am
Since bouldering is the only event I'm interested in as a spectator, I agree it would be more interesting to see a close contest between Shauna and Janja down to the last event.

Janja apparently has other priorities though - she's entered for both lead and speed in the European Championship in Italy next weekend. Tokyo 2020 preparation, presumably. She's world class in bouldering and lead, so she only has to become vaguely respectable at speed to be an obvious gold medal contender.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#264 Re: IFSC 2017
June 23, 2017, 07:57:37 am
it'd be nice to see Michaela in the final

Wood FT

• forum hero
#265 Re: IFSC 2017
June 23, 2017, 08:21:15 am
Agreed

Durbs

• forum hero
#266 Re: IFSC 2017
June 23, 2017, 09:08:26 am
Great final, though a shame to move away from the side-by-side approach (or at least split-screen) as missed a few bits.

Alexey seems to be constantly in the "nearly won" pile, gutted for him on M2.
Same for Pooch, would've loved her to win, and not topping F2 was a bit of a shame having smashed F1 out the park.

Good problems, I liked the range of styles on offer.

Shame Janja isn't coming to Mumbai. Aside from the fact it's a rather damp squib to the end of the season, is it a bit "meh" in terms of attitude? The only person with a good shout to beat Shauna, and doesn't compete.
Did we know she wasn't going to Mumbai before Vail?

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#267 Re: IFSC 2017
June 23, 2017, 09:29:26 am
Shame Janja isn't coming to Mumbai. Aside from the fact it's a rather damp squib to the end of the season, is it a bit "meh" in terms of attitude?

As discussed above, it looks to me as if Tokyo 2020 is her focus and not Boulder World Cup 2017. Having a different priority isn't necessarily a "meh" attitude, even if it does make the 2017 season a bit of an anticlimax for us in the Shauna-focused British public.

Durbs

• forum hero
#268 Re: IFSC 2017
June 23, 2017, 09:32:10 am
Yeah, probably fair.
Just a bit irritating when we could have such a close comp, but people don't enter all the rounds.
See also Pooch!

Just harking back to the 2013 (?) season when the women had the Super-6; Anna, Shauna, Alex, Julia, Mel & Akiyo who pretty much made every final and the season was amazing to watch.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#269 Re: IFSC 2017
June 24, 2017, 04:29:02 pm
Watching replay the now with UKC having already spoiled it with their Shauna podium pic. Already massive hype for Chon on M2!

teapot

• regular
#270 Re: IFSC 2017
June 24, 2017, 04:52:16 pm
Watching replay the now with UKC having already spoiled it with their Shauna podium pic. Already massive hype for Chon on M2!

You what?

Isn't it just the qualifications today?- Shauna qualified in first (4 flashes) for semis. Michaela and Leah also in semis.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#271 Re: IFSC 2017
June 24, 2017, 05:16:17 pm
Sorry man, last weeks' one. Well behind the times. Comes from visiting my old man who has a broadband connection that is actually WORSE than an old 56k modem!!

teapot

• regular
#272 Re: IFSC 2017
June 24, 2017, 06:08:06 pm
 :clap2: Sort of mistake I would make. At least you get to watch the final tomorrow and even the semis if you are up early. 

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#273 Re: IFSC 2017
June 24, 2017, 09:57:30 pm
If you don't want spoilers for tomorrow's semi finals then don't go via IFSC to watch the replays, go direct to the Youtube IFSC Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ifscchannel :-)

Judging by the results and the various videos on-line, Shauna looked to have had a fairly easy qualification. Hope it goes well tomorrow.

teapot

• regular
#274 Re: IFSC 2017
June 25, 2017, 07:33:29 am
YouTube live streaming of finals seems to be starting at 12.45, rather than 14.30 I posted a few days back.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal