UKBouldering.com

Cycling: any transfer to standing on small edges for ages? (Read 6001 times)

Danny

• junky
Started doing a hilly commute on a bike recently (totally new to cycling). I've noticed that my typical climber chicken legs have started to get a bit meatier (and less flexible). I've never been great at standing on small edges for ages, so the cycling has me wondering if I can expect some useful transfer here?

BicepsMou

• regular
If it’s standing on really small edges, the limiting factor (for me at last - and not liking stiff soles doesn’t help) are more the plantar muscles stabilizing the toes. I guess these are not used much in cycling so wouldn’t expect a lot of transfer.

If on the other hand it’s the calf muscles stabilising the ankle which are the limiting factor for you, than I’d assume some carry-over.

Check yourself: what is limiting you / what muscles give in first when standing on small edges?
Are these the same ones that you feel are getting worked when biking? Then you’re on the right track.

twoshoes

• regular
From personal experience, I'd say not. For me, lots of riding means I've got powerful upper legs but that get useful below the knees. Any move involving a one-leg squat is piss (relatively speaking), but stuff like front pointing on ice means exploding calfs. I found that running - I land on my forefeet - is much more helpful for standing on edges for ages.

Danny

• junky
Interesting points. Kinda what I suspected, although I thought there would be at least some transfer to front pointing in winter. But on the whole, less flexibility and more weight to pull makes me think I should be taking the bus instead! Didn't think about running, and surprised that there might be some transfer with that but not with cycling.

tomtom

• forum hero
Don't forget that cycling is good cv for your heart...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Don't forget that cycling is good cv for your heart...

Plus good for burning fat. And any fitness makes long walk ins a lot friendlier.

I think the actual weight gain will be minimal, and any reduction in flexibility can be addressed with some stretching.

Plus there's the good to the environment, the opportunity to buy more and also Strava - a wealth of stat pron for geeks and the chance to get competitive with complete strangers.

Danny

• junky
Fuck the ticker and fuck the environment. Actually, TBH, the latter probably remains my primary motivation. Breathing hard in heavy traffic cannot be good for you. I'd say there's a ticker-lungs trade off in there somewhere.

gme

• forum hero
It is of no help to climbing at all. Weight loss maybe but i find i just eat loads more as it makes you so hungry.

One connection with climbing performance, although a negative one, is it totally screws you flexibility. If you dont stretch a lot your fucked.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
It is of no help to climbing at all. Weight loss maybe but i find i just eat loads more as it makes you so hungry.

One connection with climbing performance, although a negative one, is it totally screws you flexibility. If you dont stretch a lot your fucked.

Agree with all of the above, exactly my experience. I found the weight didn't go, it just moved to my legs. My flexibility suffered a lot too. Shame really as I hate running.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Breathing hard in heavy traffic cannot be good for you.

You never mentioned the heavy traffic bit. Lung cancer can detract from your climbing ability too.

joel182

• obsessive maniac
Fuck the ticker and fuck the environment. Actually, TBH, the latter probably remains my primary motivation. Breathing hard in heavy traffic cannot be good for you. I'd say there's a ticker-lungs trade off in there somewhere.

This paper, reported on here in the Grauniad reckons you are still benefitting from cycling

Danny

• junky

Agree with all of the above, exactly my experience. I found the weight didn't go, it just moved to my legs. My flexibility suffered a lot too. Shame really as I hate running.

That's it. I'm done with this devil machine. I'm getting a hand-powered recumbent and attaching Lapis rollyballs to the cranks.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
When I was a fell runner I noticed I got less pumped in my legs and less stressed about my feet and calves when trad climbing than my partner's... maybe something to do with plodding up hills on the balls of my feet?

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
A bumbler writes: fell running and cycling has seen strength steadily migrate south from arms to legs. Also, I can't fit the fashionable skinny jeans the youngsters sport.

Yossarian

• forum hero

Catcheemonkey

• addict
One benefit I found when cycling to work was a massive improvement in knee stability. I'd been suffering bad knees from repeated / dodgy falls - but this sorted itself out after a few weeks of cycling.

As stated by others, my flexibility also went to shit. But once I realised this it was easy to resolve by making sure I stretched following the return commute. I'm probably more flexible now than ever (which I concede still doesn't mean I'm very flexible).

Dexter

• obsessive maniac

That's it. I'm done with this devil machine. I'm getting a hand-powered recumbent and attaching Lapis rollyballs to the cranks.

some kind of rowing machine contraption and attach a beastmaker to the handles? That way you can train all grip types on your commute.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

cjsheps

• obsessive maniac
  • The Hero Gotham Deserves.
Not wanting to troll, but

No.

I mean, if you want to get good at climbing, do more climbing-specific stuff. Simples  :)

Dexter

• obsessive maniac

some kind of rowing machine contraption

A handcycle?

I was thinking more of something that requires a more rowing motion. More like this http://www.rowbike.com/

Danny

• junky
Not wanting to troll, but

No.

I mean, if you want to get good at climbing, do more climbing-specific stuff. Simples  :)

You don't say.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal