UKBouldering.com

Whitehouses access. Close the bloody gate! (Read 6284 times)

saltbeef

• forum hero
Whitehouses access. Close the bloody gate!
January 21, 2017, 09:11:46 pm
From Katzy
"Climbed at Whitehouses today and met a rather disgruntled farmer who was annoyed with climbers leaving the gate open and when challenged about permission to climb there, saying the crag was on a footpath/they had a right to be there. Mr Robinson? (farmer) is actually totally sound, he wants the gate shut at all times as he has livestock in the field, park sensibly (if there is no room- park down the road at the lay by) and NO lamping. It seems obvious to tread softly and be polite in order to maintain access to the climbing at Whitehouses. The farmer was pissed off and rightly so, he mentioned covering the crag in slurry to stop people climbing there- we have been warned. Could someone post this on ukb for me. Thanks."

So long and the short of it. Close the gate, no lampin, be polite, don't park like a cunt or the crag will get covered in shit

36chambers

• forum hero
It looks like the Farmer is becoming even less happy about people climbing there.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=667930

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Current guidance, BMC access rep is attempting to contact tenant farmer to firm up an access arrangement.

***Whitehouses Access***

After hearing about some issues with access , he doesn’t mind people climbing there but there are a number of things which are critical to making sure he doesn’t get annoyed with climbers (more so than he has been) & banning access completely:

1. Close the gate
2. No lamp sessions
3. DO NOT park near the gate. Use the lay by further down .
4: Usual leave it as you find it considerations & general Crag etiquette.

The other layby is 50 m down the road, and is bigger, consider it part of your warm up.

If the farmer turns up, please don't be a dick, be nice!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
The current RAD info is misleading. It says to park 'up the road' from Cliff Farm. Confusingly the farm near the crag is called Cliffe House Farm but the next farm 150m east up the road is called Cliff Farm! As far as I can tell the approved parking is downhill (and more helpfully west of) from Cliffe House Farm, so basically the opposite of the RAD description  ;D. I've sent a message.
Could the BMC or local volunteers maybe supply a 'Close the Gate' sign or offer to build a stile?

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
The gritstone access rep is still trying to track down the tenant farmer, but signs have been discussed. Layby in question is here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/54%C2%B004'55.9%22N+1%C2%B043'22.1%22W/@54.0821831,-1.7249877,443m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d54.0821804!4d-1.7227988

andy_e

• forum hero
I'm happy to volunteer my services to whichever consensus deems a sensible option. "No Climber Parking Here" signs in the close layby will also help for those who haven't heard about the new rules.

You are indeed correct, the large layby is down the road towards Pateley Bridge [edit: Stubbs beat me to it!]. There's plenty more space in this parking anyway (it was traditionally used as an overflow parking for when the close layby was full). There's also a donkey to say hello to in the field by this layby.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
The gritstone access rep is still trying to track down the tenant farmer, but signs have been discussed. Layby in question is here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/54%C2%B004'55.9%22N+1%C2%B043'22.1%22W/@54.0821831,-1.7249877,443m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d54.0821804!4d-1.7227988
That's where I thought it was. Definately downhill, so 'up the road' misleading. Personally I prefer east/west in directions.

36chambers

• forum hero
I was on google maps this morning trying to figure out where the layby was. I also thought up the road meant east.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
100% Bonjoy, ‘up’ is needlessly vague and also incorrect! Weird as I think they got the same text as I put above, not sure where down became up!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal