UKBouldering.com

Using a latticeboard (Read 64526 times)

T_B

• forum hero
#125 Re: Using a latticeboard
March 09, 2018, 10:49:46 am
Er OK. Still not sure I understand. Yes, the rests were too short to recover so isn't that about aerobic capability?

Rep 7 would have been even poorer than rep 6 as I was totally boxed.

roddersm

• stalker
#126 Re: Using a latticeboard
March 09, 2018, 11:25:14 am
Hmm maybe I am not the best person to explain but so you are plotting a lactate curve with the test, so if you consider with each each attempt you should see a significant drop in moves/time as your ability to recover aerobically is diminishing each go with shorter rest.

Then eventually the scores should bottom out or just dropping by a small percent each go.

I think the idea is that at this point your aerobic system is gone, so you would just be working anaerobically, or something along those lines.

AJM

• obsessive maniac
#127 Re: Using a latticeboard
March 09, 2018, 01:12:46 pm
I've always understood you go to flatline. So that makes it look like you went too far this time (you flatline at 28) and not long enough the previous time (you hadn't stopped at 23). An improvement from <23 to 28 also fits with what you say you've been training.

Unfortunately I don't know how that fits with the further decline to 14 - I've found the same sometimes that I can crash further than the flatline (or where I *figure* the line should be based on results from surrounding sessions), but then other times I can maintain that line for a while.

petejh

• forum hero
#128 Re: Using a latticeboard
March 09, 2018, 01:18:36 pm
Can someone just confirm the rest times between reps.. I've been resting for the same time as the rep just climbed took, is that correct? I read someone on ukc who thought the rest times were from the two reps prior.. if that makes sense..

roddersm

• stalker
#129 Re: Using a latticeboard
March 09, 2018, 01:52:39 pm
I've always understood you go to flatline. So that makes it look like you went too far this time (you flatline at 28) and not long enough the previous time (you hadn't stopped at 23). An improvement from <23 to 28 also fits with what you say you've been training.

Unfortunately I don't know how that fits with the further decline to 14 - I've found the same sometimes that I can crash further than the flatline (or where I *figure* the line should be based on results from surrounding sessions), but then other times I can maintain that line for a while.

I was wondering the same and that the ancap score should be the 4/5 attempt? I'm not sure though.

PeteJh yes it is 1:1 with work:rest.

AJM

• obsessive maniac
#130 Re: Using a latticeboard
March 09, 2018, 02:32:38 pm

I was wondering the same and that the ancap score should be the 4/5 attempt? I'm not sure though.

4/5 the first time? If I were doing it on myself I'd have stopped then.

A fast crash to a high AnCap score versus a long slow decline to a lower score fits with the training story being told. Which I realise could be slightly circular, but whenever I've self tested in the past I've found a curve which fits with my preconception of how it should look given what I've been doing, so in that respect I have reasonable faith in its predictive power.

roddersm

• stalker
#131 Re: Using a latticeboard
March 09, 2018, 02:45:25 pm

4/5 the first time? If I were doing it on myself I'd have stopped then.

A fast crash to a high AnCap score versus a long slow decline to a lower score fits with the training story being told. Which I realise could be slightly circular, but whenever I've self tested in the past I've found a curve which fits with my preconception of how it should look given what I've been doing, so in that respect I have reasonable faith in its predictive power.

Yes and perhaps the 5th score second time as it goes pretty flat at attempt 3, I think the criteria is something like less than 5% performance drop between the attempts. Not sure though.

petejh

• forum hero
#132 Re: Using a latticeboard
March 09, 2018, 03:20:58 pm
In which case my ancap score goes from 21% to 28%.

Seems to involve a lot of personal interpretation...

Teaboy

• forum hero
#133 Re: Using a latticeboard
March 09, 2018, 04:32:17 pm
In which case my ancap score goes from 21% to 28%.

Not bad for two days and no training!

Paul B

• forum hero
#134 Re: Using a latticeboard
March 09, 2018, 04:50:38 pm
Yes and perhaps the 5th score second time as it goes pretty flat at attempt 3, I think the criteria is something like less than 5% performance drop between the attempts. Not sure though.

There are some figures for a similar kind of thing in "Racing and Training with a Power Meter", WRT to cycling and interval training.

Not tempted to pay for an assessment etc.?

Murph

• forum abuser
#135 Re: Using a latticeboard
March 10, 2018, 08:30:40 pm
the best test of finger strength vis-a-vis climbing performance is having an experienced coach looking at slow motion video of the climber on boulder problems at their maximal ability. Other than that he claims (with some back-up from data) that you should not allow people to dead hang edges in the open position when assessing strength as this is mostly a test of a) biomechanical advantage on that specific edge and b) tendon stretch. According to my source any test needs to be done with the fingers in an "active" position (filmed so that you can check in slo-mo on replay that the fingers are working actively).

Jwi, I appreciate this is really old but I’ve just seen it. Absolutely fascinating. I would love it if you or anyone who is in the know could share more about this.

I’m a bit lazy really about training the proper grip. It’s not the first thing on my list of things to correct and I know for a fact that my project can go with an open grip at less than my current strength.

But...when I’ve done it i might want to climb something else and when that happens I’m interested in understanding what will hold me back. Maybe it’s something to do with not being able to hold some holds open at all?

Is finger strength in the open position functionally useless or something or is it just that it’s too dependent on friction and body angle?

roddersm

• stalker
#136 Re: Using a latticeboard
March 15, 2018, 10:02:57 am
I think this answers your question - http://latticetraining.com/2017/10/04/open-or-half-crimp-for-performance-profiling-in-climbing/

Another point I heard was that while open grip is ok when hanging below a hold, as you move past then you need to engage the fingers therefore half crimp is the more applicable position for hard routes and bouldering.

Murph

• forum abuser
#137 Re: Using a latticeboard
March 15, 2018, 09:17:59 pm
Thanks rodders appreciate it. Not quite sure I understand the graphs, but I can get the idea that open hands are weaker the higher you get. Should do more half crimp. Ta!

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#138 Re: Using a latticeboard
July 17, 2018, 11:18:04 am
Given that I've had a funny start to the year climbing wise I decided to re-test myself last night. As usual, I'm struggling to decipher my numbers. Does anyone know what percentage scores are considered poor / acceptable / good for the AeroCap and AnCap measures?

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#139 Re: Using a latticeboard
July 17, 2018, 03:39:41 pm
I don't know - haven't we all realised that it's all nonsense and you'd be better off going climbing?

This facebook group is full of over-trained outdoor-shy lattice fanboys willing to discuss at length all the intricacies of movement on banisters. You could ask your question there.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#140 Re: Using a latticeboard
July 17, 2018, 04:12:03 pm
I don't know - haven't we all realised that it's all nonsense and you'd be better off going climbing?

This facebook group is full of over-trained outdoor-shy lattice fanboys willing to discuss at length all the intricacies of movement on banisters. You could ask your question there.

:worms: :worms: :worms:

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#141 Re: Using a latticeboard
July 17, 2018, 04:21:45 pm

Ouch! Already a member of that group. I hope that by posting here you'll see that my true colours are that I'm a Shark fanboy

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#142 Re: Using a latticeboard
July 17, 2018, 04:45:37 pm
I'd be curious to know if anyone has gone in for a lattice assessment and refused to let the assessors know how hard they already climb - just said "if your data is that good, and your science meaningful, you tell me how good I am"?  I would be curious to know if their data is truly predictive, or if they bias / fudge the analysis so that it fits what they know about the client.

Tommy

• junky
#143 Re: Using a latticeboard
July 17, 2018, 07:01:32 pm
I'd be curious to know if anyone has gone in for a lattice assessment and refused to let the assessors know how hard they already climb - just said "if your data is that good, and your science meaningful, you tell me how good I am"?  I would be curious to know if their data is truly predictive, or if they bias / fudge the analysis so that it fits what they know about the client.

Hmmmm... I'd be curious too!  ;D

Tell you what, I like a challenge, I like my work and I care about doing quality science. I'll assess you for free, you don't tell me anything about you. Not your grades, nor your training/climbing history. I'd ask just your name, gender and age beforehand. I won't ask you any further questions on the day... I'll just collect data and observe you through our tests.

I'll do a full assessment and tell you:

Redpoint grade within 10 sessions (accurate to 1 grade)
Onsight (accurate to 1 grade)
Boulder grade within 10 sessions (accurate to 1 grade)
The key weaknesses that hold you back from improving (we can ask your friends to adjudicate).

If I get ANY of them wrong, you get my time for free. I get them ALL right, you pay your way. This could be a lot of fun!!  ;D

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#144 Re: Using a latticeboard
July 17, 2018, 07:24:26 pm
Just to clarify, I was not entirely dismissing your approach - but my work has given me a bit of a suspicion of models.  I have experience of models that have lots of user definable variables - so they can always manipulate the result so that it fits a known outcome but are useless for predicting an unknown outcome from a set of conditions!  I was curious to know if, say, factors like height or flexibility, are used as "fudge" with a wide range of effects, which can be used to bring the results of the assessment closer in line to what you already know in advance? 

That said, I would be up for the assessment (had toyed with the idea previously) - be good to have a completely objective view of my peculiar set of climbing characteristics... even if I have to pay!  And, be nice to know if I am over or underachieving, or neither.  You would have to promise not to go looking through my posting history for mentions of past projects though! 

Yossarian

• forum hero
#145 Re: Using a latticeboard
July 17, 2018, 07:35:43 pm

I think a number of them were down at Portland this weekend. Comparing their electric car battery recharge times and then informing the entire crag that they were ‘“offski” because it’s Sunday night rosé happy hour in Clapham...

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#146 Re: Using a latticeboard
July 17, 2018, 08:53:18 pm

That said, I would be up for the assessment (had toyed with the idea previously)

Lattice challenge, love it! Looking forward to the results!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#147 Re: Using a latticeboard
July 17, 2018, 09:18:56 pm

That said, I would be up for the assessment (had toyed with the idea previously)

Well, I had been wondering how I could make climbing, which I often find unreasonably grueling for a so-called leisure activity, even more like work.  Then the answer came to me: add graphs and statistical metrics that can be a source of added disappointment and shame!

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#148 Re: Using a latticeboard
July 17, 2018, 09:37:51 pm

Well, I had been wondering how I could make climbing, which I often find unreasonably grueling for a so-called leisure activity, even more like work.  Then the answer came to me: add graphs and statistical metrics that can be a source of added disappointment and shame!

Don't forget to add spurious associations, then the recipe will be complete!

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#149 Re: Using a latticeboard
July 18, 2018, 01:05:27 am

Hmmmm... I'd be curious too!  ;D

Tell you what, I like a challenge, I like my work and I care about doing quality science. I'll assess you for free, you don't tell me anything about you. Not your grades, nor your training/climbing history. I'd ask just your name, gender and age beforehand. I won't ask you any further questions on the day... I'll just collect data and observe you through our tests.

I'll do a full assessment and tell you:

Redpoint grade within 10 sessions (accurate to 1 grade)
Onsight (accurate to 1 grade)
Boulder grade within 10 sessions (accurate to 1 grade)
The key weaknesses that hold you back from improving (we can ask your friends to adjudicate).

If I get ANY of them wrong, you get my time for free. I get them ALL right, you pay your way. This could be a lot of fun!!  ;D

Is this open for anyone?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal