UKBouldering.com

Chisels and other grip types (Read 25390 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Chisels and other grip types
December 30, 2016, 03:27:06 pm
Shark just found out he's stronger than Hayden and lost his last excuse for failing the Oak!

Hardly. This was as an anomaly similar to when I 'burnt off' Ste Mac with back2 hangs on the BM small crimp. Haydn refused to chisel the lattice edge saying it was irrelevant to climbing outside  ;D and then did the test with a half-crimp. Unsurprisingly he returned the following day and hung off it without any assistance using a full crimp. The main lesson was that Haydn is weaker than he should be at half crimping and dragging hence:

4. Depelop my open handed/half crimp strength. Would be nice to match my current full crimp strength aka 5 sec hand on toms latice or 11 sec on BM currently at 10kilos asistance for half and 20 for open.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#1 Re: Chisels and other grip types
December 30, 2016, 03:36:48 pm

The main lesson was that Haydn is weaker than he should be at dragging hence:

He can't do gritstone and resorts to dissing it? ;-)

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

haydn jones

• forum hero
#2 Re: Chisels and other grip types
December 30, 2016, 03:52:04 pm
I didn't  refuse to chisle (what ever that means as there is no such grip as chisle. Please from now on only ever use drag half crimp and full crimp as climbers have done for decades. Im not sure where this chisel has come from i assume it means drag?) I just personally find this grip extremely weak. Along with managing the body weight hang with full crimp i tried the half crimp and managed to match you this time ( 10kg assistance) and then also tried drag which required 20kg of asistance. So some clear weaknesses  of mine that ive always know however i assumed everyone would be strongest in full crimp so i was surprised to find this not the case.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#3 Re: Chisels and other grip types
December 30, 2016, 04:53:03 pm
Touchy

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Chisels and other grip types
December 30, 2016, 06:31:05 pm
Touchy

Open hand touchy? ;)

(Note smiley - im being a dick..)

haydn jones

• forum hero
#5 Re: Chisels and other grip types
December 30, 2016, 07:02:16 pm
Haha sorry i sound like a right arse hole reading that back. I was just getting so confused about what chisle meant the other day

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#6 Re: Chisels and other grip types
December 30, 2016, 11:54:00 pm
What's the required grip for testing on a lattice edge?

I didn't  refuse to chisle (what ever that means as there is no such grip as chisle. Please from now on only ever use drag half crimp and full crimp as climbers have done for decades. Im not sure where this chisel has come from i assume it means drag?) I just personally find this grip extremely weak. Along with managing the body weight hang with full crimp i tried the half crimp and managed to match you this time ( 10kg assistance) and then also tried drag which required 20kg of asistance. So some clear weaknesses  of mine that ive always know however i assumed everyone would be strongest in full crimp so i was surprised to find this not the case.

I was confused awhile back about this but it now makes sense. I've seen a chisel go under many names: 4 finger open, open, crimp, natural grip and some people even seem to think it's a half crimp (which it isn't). From what i've gathered it's basicly 4 fingers on, index is dragging, middle finger is half crimping, ring finger is sort of half crimping, pinky is dragging. Seems to be the grip many use for campusing.

I'm like you Haydn (although a lot weaker) I'm my strongest full crimped and can get nowhere open handing or half crimping. Probably why i'm nursing 2 A2 strains at the moment...

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#7 Re: Chisels and other grip types
December 31, 2016, 01:06:26 am

Sidehaas

• stalker
#8 Re: Chisels and other grip types
December 31, 2016, 07:40:32 am

If chisel is just a four finger drag it seems pointless calling it something else confusing. Does it have to imply one pad only?
What's the difference between (3 finger) dragging and scouts honour? I remember a scout salute being holding your little finger with your thumb but how does this help you on the hold?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#9 Re: Chisels and other grip types
December 31, 2016, 09:03:50 am
It would also be misleading to call it a four finger drag when the middle two aren't dragging. I don't think everyone tends towards forming a chisel - it depends on an individuals finger length. The pic is probably 10 years old from the Beastmaker site and I posted it to show that the chisel does exist to chisel denyers like Haydn and to back up
Luke's description. This is well off topic. If you search the site you can find that it has been discussed a few times.

Luke - you can use whatever grip you prefer on the lattice rail. It is quite rounded.

dave

#10 Re: Chisels and other grip types
December 31, 2016, 09:28:39 am
The scouts honour is a tongue-in-cheek beastmaker thing where you're dragging the sloper but with thumb in the lower slot for assistance. Obviously of limited utility outdoors.

Getting back to Haydn, if anyone isn't strongest fully crimped then they are doing something wrong, it's mechanically the strongest grip naturally. I.e. People are avoiding using it for some reason, and hence are weak on it. When you see kids on a climbing wall when they get an edge they crimp it.

abarro81

• forum hero
#11 Re: Chisels and other grip types
December 31, 2016, 09:44:18 am
Depends on the hold though doesn't it Dave - e.g. the BM 2000 edges lend themselves more to a natural grip (what Varian would appear to call chisel though that's not what me or Mason call chisel) than to crimping. I for one would be much weaker crimping them than holding them naturally.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#12 Re: Chisels and other grip types
December 31, 2016, 09:51:14 am
It would also be misleading to call it a four finger drag when the middle two aren't dragging. I don't think everyone tends towards forming a chisel - it depends on an individuals finger length. The pic is probably 10 years old from the Beastmaker site and I posted it to show that the chisel does exist to chisel denyers like Haydn and to back up
Luke's description. This is well off topic. If you search the site you can find that it has been discussed a few times.

Luke - you can use whatever grip you prefer on the lattice rail. It is quite rounded.

We've been discussing this lately and starting to put a survey together. I hate this grip, but I have an exceptionally short Pinky; which means all three of the other fingers have to be very crimped for my Pinky to just about engage. In fact my middle finger seems longer than most other people, relative to index and ring; so it's almost uncomfortably compressed in order to bring the pinky to bear.
I also find, training back two gives me almost no benefit to the Pinky.
This arose out of a discussion about why some people seemed to advance to pinky monos relatively quickly and others never seem to develop any pinky strength at all; despite similar training regimen.
Comparing hands, we reckon all those with pinky tips that extended distally past the DIP of the ring finger, had strong back two and pinky development and those that stopped short of the ring DIP were weak.

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. I always forget to put those smiley things...

dave

#13 Re: Chisels and other grip types
December 31, 2016, 10:10:16 am
Depends on the hold though doesn't it Dave - e.g. the BM 2000 edges lend themselves more to a natural grip (what Varian would appear to call chisel though that's not what me or Mason call chisel) than to crimping. I for one would be much weaker crimping them than holding them naturally.

Yeah it does depend on the hold (i can't crimp the BM edges because they are in a slot) but if I was runout miles above gear on those edges not in a slot I'd be crimping them. Gotta be stronger to have 5 digits involved not 3 or 4.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#14 Re: Chisels and other grip types
December 31, 2016, 02:30:57 pm
Not necessarily, because of the angles created at the joints. It also depends largely on the hold, especially how its edge is shaped.
Also, it depends on how much your fingers (index especially) can hyperxtend.
I'm balanced between half crimp and full drag (3 fingers for me, due to short pinky), but cannot match that with full crimp: my index and middle do not extend much and the full crimp is the most painful prehension for me.
I can full crimp front2 and middle2 on the small BM rungs, though, so I don't know what to think.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 02:36:02 pm by Nibile »

standard

• obsessive maniac
#15 Re: Chisels and other grip types
December 31, 2016, 02:51:17 pm
Look at the profile of the end of a chisel.
http://www.workshopheaven.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1080x720/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/s/ashley-iles-chisel-32mm.jpg

Looks like middle two crimping, outer two dragging

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#16 Re: Chisels and other grip types
December 31, 2016, 02:52:43 pm
Not necessarily, because of the angles created at the joints. It also depends largely on the hold, especially how its edge is shaped.
I'm balanced between half crimp and full drag (3 fingers for me, due to short pinky), but cannot match that with full crimp: my index and middle do not extend much and the full crimp is the most painful prehension for me.
I can full crimp front2 and middle2 on the small BM rungs, though, so I don't know what to think.
Show me your hand!

No, don't.

Seriously though, does your pinky extend to or beyond your ring DIP?

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. I always forget to put those smiley things...

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#17 Re: Chisels and other grip types
December 31, 2016, 03:28:27 pm

Seriously though, does your pinky extend to or beyond your ring DIP?
Right one just to the joint, left one even shorter.
image by Nibile, on Flickr
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 03:34:06 pm by Nibile »

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#18 Re: Chisels and other grip types
January 23, 2017, 11:21:18 am
Can anyone shed light on why Half Crimp is supposed to be the best way to train using deadhangs as opposed to open crimp?

The reason I ask is a lot of the people I know who are strong (some of them ridiculously so) use the "open crimp" grip. (Index dragging, Mid half crimped, ring sort of half crimped and pinky dragging) all the time.

Anyone I ever see doing one arm stuff on a fingerboard seems to use this grip and also on the campus board too.

I also read the Eva Lopez's blog and she mentions somewhere in the comments on a post about it being better to train open crimp and she personally prefers this. Also Eric Horsts deadhanging protocols also give the choice of using either grip.

Open crimp seems like the most versatile grip type (and feels less tweaky to me personally), so would it make sense to train this the most?

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#19 Re: Chisels and other grip types
January 23, 2017, 11:46:47 am
I think it's because the proper half crimp - fingers at 90 degrees, depending on relative length of pinky - has the greatest crossover effect on both full crimp and dragging.
It stresses the pulleys but without creating acute angles and mechanical locks (thumb over) as the full crimp, and it also stresses the tendons like in a dragging prehension.
Moreover, the half crimp is the less favourable angle, so it's the most beneficial to train.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#20 Re: Chisels and other grip types
January 23, 2017, 12:07:17 pm
Can anyone shed light on why Half Crimp is supposed to be the best way to train using deadhangs as opposed to open crimp?

The reason I ask is a lot of the people I know who are strong (some of them ridiculously so) use the "open crimp" grip. (Index dragging, Mid half crimped, ring sort of half crimped and pinky dragging) all the time.

Anyone I ever see doing one arm stuff on a fingerboard seems to use this grip and also on the campus board too.

I also read the Eva Lopez's blog and she mentions somewhere in the comments on a post about it being better to train open crimp and she personally prefers this. Also Eric Horsts deadhanging protocols also give the choice of using either grip.

Open crimp seems like the most versatile grip type (and feels less tweaky to me personally), so would it make sense to train this the most?

1) Find the smallest flat edge you can hang for 5 sec using both hands — this is probably a flat edge at around 7mm or thinner. 2) Ask someone to film your fingers during the hang. 3) Look at the film: What grip are you using?

On biggish edges I'm 10-20% stronger in the grip you describe as “open crimp” as I am in full crimp and 20-30% stronger than in half crimp. On a edge of more realistic size (smallest flat edge I can hang) I'm strongest in full crimp and quite ok on half-crimp.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#21 Re: Chisels and other grip types
January 24, 2017, 12:29:53 am
1) Find the smallest flat edge you can hang for 5 sec using both hands — this is probably a flat edge at around 7mm or thinner. 2) Ask someone to film your fingers during the hang. 3) Look at the film: What grip are you using?

On biggish edges I'm 10-20% stronger in the grip you describe as “open crimp” as I am in full crimp and 20-30% stronger than in half crimp. On a edge of more realistic size (smallest flat edge I can hang) I'm strongest in full crimp and quite ok on half-crimp.

The smallest edge I can hang is 20mm... I imgine I'd probably be strongest on it full crimped but I've never tried. Half crimping is my weakest grip. Open crimp definitely feels the nicest to train though...

Murph

• forum abuser
#22 Re: Chisels and other grip types
January 24, 2017, 01:10:13 am
The smallest edge I can hang is 20mm...

For serious? With two hands?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#23 Re: Chisels and other grip types
January 24, 2017, 07:51:15 am
and for 5 s? There's quite a bit of difference between what most people can hang for 5s and for 10s.

If you boulder around 6C-7A (?) you “should” be able to hang a 15mm edge for 5s unless the boulders are very long or can be done by excessive trickery.

Anyway, what you can do on a wooden edge is not important.

I've used the middle-two crimp/outer-two drag hold for training for a long time: the result is that I'm fairly strong on juggy edges but really weak on small holds. Last three-four months I've done all my hangboarding using the open crimp and I've seen a small improvement on small holds for the first time in years. YMMV
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:04:03 am by jwi »

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#24 Re: Chisels and other grip types
January 24, 2017, 09:38:49 am
The smallest edge I can hang is 20mm...

For serious? With two hands?

Yeah, serious, Yeah, 2 hands...

and for 5 s? There's quite a bit of difference between what most people can hang for 5s and for 10s.

If you boulder around 6C-7A (?) you “should” be able to hang a 15mm edge for 5s unless the boulders are very long or can be done by excessive trickery.

Anyway, what you can do on a wooden edge is not important.

At the moment I can hang a 20mm edge for 10s max in an open crimp grip.

I can 3 finger open hand a 20mm edge for about 8s.

I've never been able to hang anything smaller. I've tried the small BM2k (15mm?) edges for years but have never been able to pull off the ground.

I've bouldered short 7A+ and long 7B and sport climbed 7c meaning I must be the weakest person these grades have ever seen...!

Last three-four months I've done all my hangboarding using the open crimp and I've seen a small improvement on small holds for the first time in years. YMMV

Interesting, you've got better gains on small holds from open crimp training compared to half crimp training?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal