UKBouldering.com

Training finger strength without doing hangs (Read 13071 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
I'm mainly comparing drag to crimp at the mo. Most peoples max pull is way over body weight (trained people, I mean). I just put a bracket above the strain gauge to attach a timer to replace my stopwatch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Seems to be hitting the spot, I'll be interested to see if it has any impact on climbing.

Three months of finger training like this and nothing else (shoulder issue) seems to have had a marked effect on my finger strength when climbing. Worth considering if you can't do conventional hangs for non-finger-related reasons.

(Caveat: I've previously done very little fingerboarding which makes me an especially good candidate for this kind of focused but non-specific training).

tomtom

• forum hero
Interesting... details details please :)

How much are you lifting now? Two hands at once? Body position? Grip type?

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
One arm at a time, 18mm edge, three different grips: half crimp, open hand, and three finger drag. A  fairly standard strength programme: 90-95% of my absolute maximum weight for each grip, 10 second hold, around 3 minute rest between each go. Typically 3-5 sets but stopping as soon as I couldn't manage the full 10 seconds.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
The main thing I was aiming for was to try hard and do so regularly. The advantage of being unable to do much else is it becomes much easier to stick to a programme like this.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal