UKBouldering.com

Why Shark is fat (Read 24308 times)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#75 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 25, 2016, 10:04:36 pm
She might have a glass of wine every night now, did she really while she was competing?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

tomtom

• forum hero
#76 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 26, 2016, 09:08:20 am
She might have a glass of wine every night now, did she really while she was competing?

Two in comps :)

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#77 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 26, 2016, 09:21:58 am
Possibly, she could certainly run, but... Does that disprove the contention she could have run faster without drink? :-\

Her record beats the next quickest time (by someone else) by over half a mile, I think suggesting she did not reach her potential is a bit silly (unless your comment was intentionally silly)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#78 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 26, 2016, 10:13:15 am
You are saying she that if this suggestion she drank wine daily is true, cutting back could not have improved her time.

Evidence?

Please don't put your own words into my mouth to try to strengthen your point: 'did not achieve her potential' - that has overtones totally absent in my original post.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#79 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 26, 2016, 10:40:51 am

The interview in question was when she was still competing, and whipping everyone else. If you are the fastest in the world doing what you do, why change?

I am not trying to say that alcohol is beneficial to athletic performance. The mood benefit of small amounts may well outweigh the physiological cost. I can't imagine that many people perform well if they are permanently miserable.

cjsheps

• obsessive maniac
  • The Hero Gotham Deserves.
#80 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 26, 2016, 12:10:52 pm
I am not trying to say that alcohol is beneficial to athletic performance. The mood benefit of small amounts may well outweigh the physiological cost. I can't imagine that many people perform well if they are permanently miserable.

I guess that depends on whether you'd feel miserable without drinking. Many athletes feel almost no desire to have alcohol in their lives: it doesn't really have a place day-to-day.

*Not really a helpful post. Just trying to clarify something that's often misunderstood by friends etc.*

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#81 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 26, 2016, 04:34:23 pm
You are saying she that if this suggestion she drank wine daily is true, cutting back could not have improved her time.

Evidence?

Please don't put your own words into my mouth to try to strengthen your point: 'did not achieve her potential' - that has overtones totally absent in my original post.
I think suggesting that she could have run faster is the very definition of saying she did not achieve her potential no?

Anyway I think that her marathon time so pretty much considered to be at the absolute pinnacle of what her physical capacities should allow her to run, so no I don't think dropping that glass of blue nun on an evening would have helped

fried

• forum hero
#82 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 26, 2016, 04:35:39 pm
Don't listen to them Shark, stay true to booze and you'll never lose!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#83 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 26, 2016, 06:00:57 pm
Tim, if you read my posts you'll see I did not say alcohol impaired her performance. I have no idea and don't pretend to know. I just said that saying someone is good does not prove or disprove a contention.
On the other hand you have come out and said it didn't because she could run fast which is obviously nonsense as like me, you have no knowledge either way.

Reread the posts ffs so you don't go off tilting at windmills.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#84 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 26, 2016, 06:44:51 pm
I am sorry, I was just discussing, it as you were, I did not mean to offend you. 
As regards knowledge....it is all poorly remembered but
There was a thing on some running website (can't remember which one) about whether a sub 2 hour marathon was possible for a man, there was a discussion of Paula Radcliffe's marathon times in the context of her physiological parameters and they came to the conclusion that her WR was the very best she could do based on available data, therefore the inference I am making is, that the wine or whatever cannot have been impairing her, as she was operating so optimally.  Anyway this is all completely off topic.
Shark just needs to do be stronger to do the oak, his weight or alcohol intake has nothing to do with why he can't do it

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#85 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 26, 2016, 07:01:29 pm
Don't worry, you haven't offended me, sorry if that seems snappy just a circular discussion...

I think we can agree she was pretty fast and definitely not an old soak..
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 07:12:38 pm by mrjonathanr »

tomtom

• forum hero
#86 Why Shark is fat
December 26, 2016, 10:45:20 pm
Would stopping drinking make Shark climb faster though? You could hang a can of Stella from the chains of the oak I guess. Mind you - I shoved a motivational flapjack at  crack at the end of Blind Date on Monday and it didn't seem to help him succeed.

This what if stuff is fun though - like the could Bolt run faster if he smoked a tab before a race debate...

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#87 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 26, 2016, 11:21:29 pm

I shoved a motivational flapjack at  crack at the end of Blind Date on Monday and it didn't seem to help him succeed.
Too carby. Should've tried a lump of cheese.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal