UKBouldering.com

Why Shark is fat (Read 24317 times)

Three Nine

• forum hero
Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 11:52:50 am
I wanted to reply to power club but it seems i'm not allowed. Simon I think you might be fat because:

a) you drink alcohol. There is no excuse for this - empty calories in a form that ruins your recovery. I cant believe that anyone who really wants a sporting objective would shaft themselves by that.

b) you fret about body fat percentage. You are never going to go too low - be serious. You need to lose fat and muscle. I reckon you do your silly BFP thing and then think 'ok im quite low body fat I can eat this delicious cake'.

c) you focus on dieting in terms of 'woe is me i cant eat this and that or drink this filthy alcohol'. What if you instead changed the approach to: 'what diet will give me the very best chance of performing, recovering, not getting ill, optimizing weight etc.' Ie. focus on how good that broccoli is for you, and not the fact that its replacing a mince pie and glass of sherry (ie. obesogenic pancreas and liver disaster).

Please note. This is sort of supposed to be helpful, but mainly written cos Shark-baiting so fun.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#1 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 11:56:28 am

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#2 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 12:06:45 pm
Some good ways of perceiving things there but if Joss Naylor and Billy Bland can run blistering Bob Graham rounds on bacon sandwiches and cans of Mackesons (true), why miss out on nice food and drink? Just keep up the cardio.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 12:13:31 pm
Because bacon sandwiches and Mackesons (i assume some sort of Norther fizzy pop) contain a fair bit of carbs, fats, protein and sugars, whereas alcohol fucks you up.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#4 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 12:15:51 pm
Mackesons (i assume some sort of Norther fizzy pop)

Mackesons is a milk stout champ! Fairly sure I've heard of a few mid round drams being had though this is a rather baseless report.

user deactivated

#5 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 12:23:26 pm
Ie. focus on how good that broccoli is for you, and not the fact that its replacing a mince pie and glass of sherry (ie. obesogenic pancreas and liver disaster).

T'is the season to be jolly......

dave

#6 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 12:27:38 pm
Mackesons is a stout but only about 2%abv. A good driving beer.

Three Nine

• forum hero
#7 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 12:28:47 pm
Some good ways of perceiving things there but if Joss Naylor and Billy Bland can run blistering Bob Graham rounds on bacon sandwiches and cans of Mackesons (true), why miss out on nice food and drink? Just keep up the cardio.

Just in case you're being serious -

because Shark isn't going to do that volume of cardio if he's got any sense!  :tease:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 12:31:13 pm
milk stout

Christ that's grim. Not proper sherry / whisky / lager / wine quaffed by the caseload the property mogul himself though.

dave

#9 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 12:42:40 pm

What have they ever done at Malham?

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 12:51:19 pm
I cant believe that anyone who really wants a sporting objective would shaft themselves by that.

Three Nine available only in 1D.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#11 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 01:10:57 pm

True dat. I once knew the then Pennine Way record holder, and he said his staple diet en route was corned beef and onion sarnies. Otoh the caloric demands of a ten metre route at Malham might be rather less than those of jogging twenty hours a day for three days.

T_B

• forum hero
#12 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 01:20:05 pm
Please note. This is sort of supposed to be helpful, but mainly written cos Shark-baiting so fun.

Shark's not fat, he's weak.

Loads of thin people are weak.

Shark needs to get stronger. To get stronger, you need to fuel your body.

I agree, cut out the booze. But a focus on weight-loss when you're training is totally bogus.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#13 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 01:32:55 pm
MacKesons looks a amazing, why have I never heard of it!?

Think I'll get some in for Christmas.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#14 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 01:41:21 pm

you drink alcohol. There is no excuse for this..

It makes me happy  ;D

petejh

• forum hero
#15 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 01:44:55 pm

a) you drink alcohol. There is no excuse for this - empty calories in a form that ruins your recovery. I cant believe that anyone who really wants a sporting objective would shaft themselves by that.

Can't believe you think doing the Oak qualifies as 'a sporting achievement'.  ;)

Actually I suppose it is - like 'scoring a hat-trick for your Sunday league side' is. They all drink beer too.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#16 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 01:47:21 pm
MacKesons looks a amazing, why have I never heard of it!?

Think I'll get some in for Christmas.

Marstons Resolution worth sampling. Low carb, 4.7% and pretty tasty. Quite pricey so another incentive not to guzzle it

Doylo

• forum hero
#17 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 02:06:11 pm
I blame his choad.

Doylo

• forum hero
#18 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 02:08:34 pm
3-9 doesn't drink, is much younger and goes to bed at 8.30 but has only climbed one grade harder than shark  :-\

Wood FT

• forum hero
#19 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 02:24:36 pm
I cant believe that anyone who really wants a sporting objective would shaft themselves by that.

Three Nine available only in 1D.

one direction?

petejh

• forum hero
#20 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 03:09:49 pm
3-9 doesn't drink, is much younger and goes to bed at 8.30 but has only climbed one grade harder than shark  :-\

Imagine how pious he could be if he tried harder!

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#21 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 03:19:19 pm

Imagine how pious he could be if he tried harder!

The poodle unleashed..!

dave

#22 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 03:40:24 pm
Shark it's not usually advertised but most pubs these days do a range of low-calorie versions of their beers which are only 50% the calories of a normal beer. Just ask for a "half".

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#23 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 03:44:08 pm

Shark's not fat, he's weak.

Loads of thin people are weak.

Shark needs to get stronger. To get stronger, you need to fuel your body.

I agree, cut out the booze. But a focus on weight-loss when you're training is totally bogus.

Sentence one: no idea.

The other three?
Yep, this.

As long as Macros tally up in terms of percentage and there is no obvious vit/min deficit, sugar/salt excess, then everything else is secondary and unlikely to have a huge impact.
Less booze is never a bad thing.

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. I always forget to put those smiley things...

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#24 Re: Why Shark is fat
December 12, 2016, 03:59:09 pm
Shark must have gone to seed very quickly, as last time I saw him he looked gaunt.  I mentioned it to him and he took it as a complement, but it wasn't intended as much - I was concerned that he might be ill!  Coming from me, with my resemblance to a partially digested cadaver, that suggests he was pretty thin! 

Incidentaly, if my own experience is any indication, going teetotal is not necessarily a panacea.  I gave up alcohol entirely for 49 days (not that I was counting!) during my seige of Stolen - my weight remained constant (despite bourbon and scotch accounting for around 15% of my calories and not eating any more during that period) and I still felt vaguely hungover every morning.  Still, I admit I did manage the route eventually, perhaps the heat of my righteousness and piety reduced the local humidity?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal