UKBouldering.com

Synovitis: sudden, painful then gone completely within 24 hours (Read 1991 times)

honroid

• addict
Not sure if this is worth a post but might be useful to someone at some point....

I woke up in the small hours of Friday night feeling like my middle finger was on fire. Couldn't sleep and had to raid the freezer to put together an ice bath. The finger from the DIP joint was massively swollen, tender and I could barely bend it at all. Put the finger in an ice bath, went back to bed and on Saturday morning it was huge, red and painful. With a trip to Albarracin for Christmas I thought my holiday and the coming grit season were both over and I'd blown a tendon or something...

I had not climbed since Wednesday. Wednesday had been warm up boulder, campus, then an hour's outdoor session out on a project after work. First outdoor session of the season. So, a big day but nothing huge. Thurs and Fri were rest days (at work- parents’ evening Thurs), ate well and slept fairly well (we have a 4 month old).

Cheked out Dave Mcleod’s book and found a passage on Synovitis which described my symptoms perfectly.

...Over the course of Saturday I took one ibrufrofen, did some voodoo flossing, ice baths and loads of stretching of the individual joints - being careful not to overdo it.  The finger went down completely.

Wedneday now and the finger is totally normal. I’ve been stretching, flossing and bathing but now feels fine. Weird. All I can think is the climb outside on slopers, after training on indoor walls for a few weeks set off this swollen finger.

Anyone else had similar?  :shrug:

BicepsMou

• regular
I’ve had synovitis issues after intense boulder or even FB sessions for quite some time (years). Especially on PIP joints of middle and ring fingers.

Lately, I’ve found that those funny acupressure / finger massage rings (cost only a couple of quids on Amazon) do a great job in alleviating it and also speeding up recovery.

First smiled at them in complete disbelief when a friend pointed me towards them, but then was very positively surprised after the first trial.

Key for me is to ‘roll’ the fingers immediately after the session for a couple times. This instantly makes the joints feel less stiff, probably by stimulating lymph and blood circulation and draining the excessive synovial fluid. Then reapplying them a couple times over the course of recovery day and my finger joints feel much better.

Small tool, big effect so far for me. Highly recommended to try!

andy_e

• forum hero

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal