UKBouldering.com

Oukaimeden Bouldering (Read 3544 times)

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
Oukaimeden Bouldering
November 26, 2016, 06:16:34 pm
I'm going to be in Morocco over Christmas mainly doing tourist stuff but also planning on having a few days bouldering at Oukaimeden. Just wondered if anyone on here has been and has any recommendations/advice? Planning to be there pretty much straight after new year, does anyone know how likely it is that there will be snow at this time? Any info on the facilities at the hostels would be useful too, as well as problem recommendations!

Cheers

andy popp

• forum hero
#1 Re: Oukaimeden Bouldering
November 26, 2016, 08:44:10 pm
I know someone who was there recently - the pictures looked great. I'll see what I can find out.

andy popp

• forum hero
#2 Re: Oukaimeden Bouldering
November 29, 2016, 07:25:43 am
So they said "Apparently the snow normally arrives in February, for one month, although we had a full day of snow when we were there recently!? They should check out www.imiksimik.nl and contact keoma, he is the guy who started the development and has prepared an app guidebook"

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#3 Re: Oukaimeden Bouldering
December 05, 2016, 11:49:34 am
Looks boss! Please report back...

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#4 Re: Oukaimeden Bouldering
December 05, 2016, 12:44:45 pm
Greg C looks like he's been over there recently, worth a PM?

andy popp

• forum hero

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#6 Re: Oukaimeden Bouldering
December 06, 2016, 07:07:15 am
Cheers. I emailed the guy at the caf hut and he said they often have snow in January so just hoping for the best really! I've bought the guidebook. A little disappointing that there is no pdf version as it's pretty hard to get a feel for the place flicking through an app.

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#7 Re: Oukaimeden Bouldering
July 18, 2017, 03:32:53 pm
Any thoughts on this place? It looks a bit uninspiring from the videos, nice place, scenery etc, but problems don't look that good. I've bouldered before in Morocco and feel that it has potential. I bouldered around the coast, Tafraoute yonks ago, which was fun but not great, although a mate has posted me pics of other stuff round that way.  I've also checked out some boulders on the way to Todra via Marrakesh which in comparison to what I've seen of the Oukameiden place looks better.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#8 Re: Oukaimeden Bouldering
July 18, 2017, 04:34:23 pm
I went for a few days at the beginning of this year. I would recommend it if you're in the area on a trip to Morocco but not as an outright destination. We visited a few areas (the bakery, back yard and one other that I can't remember), there are a few good problems but quite a few poor ones too. The rock can be very soft/snappy in places too. Overall its a cool place to visit and you could have a good time there if you combined the bouldering with some skiing or trekking. If bouldering was the main focus of the trip you might be disappointed.

You can hire pads (old and soft) from the CAF hut, its also pretty cheap to stay here and the food isn't bad.

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#9 Re: Oukaimeden Bouldering
July 18, 2017, 04:40:54 pm
I went for a few days at the beginning of this year. I would recommend it if you're in the area on a trip to Morocco but not as an outright destination. We visited a few areas (the bakery, back yard and one other that I can't remember), there are a few good problems but quite a few poor ones too. The rock can be very soft/snappy in places too. Overall its a cool place to visit and you could have a good time there if you combined the bouldering with some skiing or trekking. If bouldering was the main focus of the trip you might be disappointed.

You can hire pads (old and soft) from the CAF hut, its also pretty cheap to stay here and the food isn't bad.

Cheers for that. That's confirmed my suspicions. The stuff I've sniffed out on the way to Todra looked and felt ( I had a quick 30 min look around) much better.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal