UKBouldering.com

Trump (Read 45390 times)

habrich

more Offline
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
#550 Re: Trump
July 28, 2017, 08:02:50 am
What will happen? I still hope, and believe it possible, that something will bring him down. There is already a great deal of damaging material in the public domain and I suspect Special Counsel Robert Mueller knows a great deal more. Trump may make a catastrophic error – such as firing Sessions and then Mueller – that cannot be ignored.

Maybe it is too early to start being hopeful but it looks like more Republicans are coming to their senses and realising the threat Trump poses to US democracy. Which, presumably, is a necessary pre-condition for an impeachment process, given their majority in both houses? In that context, the unambiguous defeat for the Repeal Obamacare bill this evening seems encouraging too.

andy popp

more Offline
  • forum hero
#551 Re: Trump
July 28, 2017, 04:47:10 pm
What will happen? I still hope, and believe it possible, that something will bring him down. There is already a great deal of damaging material in the public domain and I suspect Special Counsel Robert Mueller knows a great deal more. Trump may make a catastrophic error – such as firing Sessions and then Mueller – that cannot be ignored.

Maybe it is too early to start being hopeful but it looks like more Republicans are coming to their senses and realising the threat Trump poses to US democracy. Which, presumably, is a necessary pre-condition for an impeachment process, given their majority in both houses? In that context, the unambiguous defeat for the Repeal Obamacare bill this evening seems encouraging too.

Slow and bleary morning here after getting sucked up into staying up to watch the healthcare vote. This week has been just insane (Scaramucci!!!!!!!!) but also with some more encouraging signs. He's faced GOP pushback on Sessions, the transgender ban, and now healthcare.
old skool tie

SA Chris

more Offline
  • forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#552 Re: Trump
July 28, 2017, 05:06:43 pm
Scaramucci is a screwed up piece of work isn't he?

I'm thinking he's umimpeachable. He seems to just brazen it all out. It fascinates me.
WARNING! Posting may contain traces of irony, spoonerisms, horse play, sarcasm or other attempts at humour. Not suitable for consumption by foody muckers.

Oldmanmatt

more Offline
  • forum hero
  • Getting soft in my old age.
  • 46 and still creaking on... ish.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#553 Re: Trump
July 28, 2017, 07:25:51 pm
It's not just a political push back, it's open defiance from the military.
My retired Colonel buddy, Erica, is spitting lava and along with many other retirees, organising "phone assaults" to keep Senators/Congressmen/Governors switchboards tied up with angry Veterans.
It's not just the injustice, it's treating the Military as his private army, the breach of protocol and arrogance they object to. As she said, they swear allegiance to the constitution, not the President  (her words, I don't know the wording of their oath, I shall google it presently).
All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. I always forget to put those smiley things...

Oldmanmatt

more Offline
  • forum hero
#554 Re: Trump
July 28, 2017, 07:28:39 pm

Interesting...
All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. I always forget to put those smiley things...

andy popp

more Offline
  • forum hero
#555 Re: Trump
July 28, 2017, 10:54:41 pm
It's not just a political push back, it's open defiance from the military.
My retired Colonel buddy, Erica, is spitting lava and along with many other retirees, organising "phone assaults" to keep Senators/Congressmen/Governors switchboards tied up with angry Veterans.

I was focusing specifically on signs of movement within the GOP, which is ultimately where any change will have to come from, given they control both houses. But yes, it is much wider. Pretty much everyone I know is active in some form, not least in calling elected representatives at all levels, as well as protesting etc.
old skool tie

Oldmanmatt

more Offline
  • forum hero
#556 Re: Trump
July 29, 2017, 07:54:32 am
It's no longer just the left, I'm seeing more and more of the center right commentators openly in opposition:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2017/07/28/as-trump-debases-the-presidency-the-religious-right-looks-away/?utm_term=.58099fdde375

remus

more Offline
  • obsessive maniac
#557 Re: Trump
July 31, 2017, 11:18:35 pm
Seems to be going for some sort of rapid staff turnover record http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40782299

Teaboy

more Offline
  • forum abuser
#558 Re: Trump
July 31, 2017, 11:58:11 pm
I was focusing specifically on signs of movement within the GOP, which is ultimately where any change will have to come from, given they control both houses.

This is dynamite coming, as it does, from a Republican senator
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/07/31/my-party-is-in-denial-about-donald-trump-215442

Could be the trickle that becomes a flood

I assume the Mooch went because of a chronic coke habit? Surely there's nothing he said which the prez would consider beyond the pale?

andy popp

more Offline
  • forum hero
#559 Re: Trump
August 01, 2017, 12:28:53 am
No more Mooch! Straightly out the door.
old skool tie

tomtom

more Offline
  • forum hero
#560 Re: Trump
August 01, 2017, 07:00:16 am
I was focusing specifically on signs of movement within the GOP, which is ultimately where any change will have to come from, given they control both houses.

This is dynamite coming, as it does, from a Republican senator
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/07/31/my-party-is-in-denial-about-donald-trump-215442

Could be the trickle that becomes a flood

I assume the Mooch went because of a chronic coke habit? Surely there's nothing he said which the prez would consider beyond the pale?

Wow!

SA Chris

more Offline
  • forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
WARNING! Posting may contain traces of irony, spoonerisms, horse play, sarcasm or other attempts at humour. Not suitable for consumption by foody muckers.

mrjonathanr

more Offline
  • forum hero
#562 Re: Trump
August 01, 2017, 07:08:16 pm

I imagine John Kelly aspires to run a tighter ship, that's what he was brought in for I think.
máquina parcial

andy popp

more Offline
  • forum hero
#563 Re: Trump
August 03, 2017, 01:22:23 am
So, I last posted on Friday morning, the appalling healthcare bill having just been defeated. It seemed the week couldn't get any more insane. Then the President flew too Long Island and gave a speech encouraging law enforcements to use rough justice. As part of the trip he sacked Chief of Staff Reince Preibus by tweeter. The weekend was spent berating Republican Senators, again via Twitter, branding them "quitters" if they didn't again to try and pass the dead in the water healthcare act. Then out of the blue Monday the Mooch was gone. Mooch, sincerely, we will miss you. Trump, who personally insisted on his appointment ten days earlier, tweeted, apparently entirely without irony, "Great day at the WH." The insanity ...

Seriously, there's a worrying pattern over the last week: the transgender/military ban, the law enforcement speech, action to attack affirmative action, and todays Xenophobia thinly described as an immigration bill. This is naked playing to the base and speaks to me of a man feeling increasingly cornered and potentially dangerous. I expect more - and worse - of the same over coming days.

I imagine John Kelly aspires to run a tighter ship, that's what he was brought in for I think.

That's undoubtedly the plan but I very much hope it fails. Bring on the chaos, that way lie the mistakes and catastrophes.
old skool tie

Oldmanmatt

more Offline
  • forum hero
#564 Re: Trump
August 03, 2017, 07:49:19 am
You forgot the bit about the poem on the Statue of Liberty, "not being about immigration " and that saying it is " is the dumbest thing ever said"...
Oh, and committing an act that amounts to a clear obstruction of justice, is just "what any father would do".
And, (possibly due to lack of gold plating), the stunning revelation that "the White House is a dump".
And...
He knows mix, and would be the first to say mix, but the boss of the Boy Scouts called him and told him it was the  greatest ever speech to Boy Scouts and it was a standing ovation all the way through and for five minutes after and they love him and...

Didn't happen. No phone call. No ovation. Absolute denial of call and a sincere apology to attendees from the Scout leadership.
Actually, possibly, Trump's most blatant lie yet.

Oldmanmatt

more Offline
  • forum hero
#565 Re: Trump
August 03, 2017, 10:55:36 pm
Ooof!

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/special-counsel-mueller-impanels-washington-grand-jury-in-russia-probe-1501788287

(Poster cautiously allows a modicum of hope to sneak into general feeling of hopelessness).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldmanmatt

more Offline
  • forum hero
#566 Re: Trump
August 04, 2017, 09:14:32 pm

moose

more Offline
  • forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#567 Re: Trump
August 04, 2017, 11:15:20 pm
interesting analysis of the reasons why the Senate GOPs are getting more vocal, whilst the House remains compliant:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-senate-seems-more-willing-to-push-back-against-trump-than-the-house-why/

the TR:DR version is "don't get your hopes up, self-interest still rules".  That said, the continued divergance in the Approval vs Disapproval rating chart is heartening.  Maybe even "the base" is realising that the desired prospects of environmental rap, corporate tax cuts, and financial deregulation are a heavy price for drowning in global embarassment, handcuffed to a leaden moron, and being viewed as a stooge to Putin. 

Btw, for "whistling in the dark" relief, I recommend the Pod Save America cast.  It has serious faults - very "preaching to the converted" - but its weaknesses are also strengths - hosted by ex-Obama / Clinton speechwriters - so they know how the White House should work, and can provide well informed details of the mechanical defects of the current adminsistration (beyond the normal "Trump" is a cretin").

https://getcrookedmedia.com/here-have-a-podcast-78ee56b5a323
"Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." Mark Twain

andy popp

more Offline
  • forum hero
#568 Re: Trump
August 04, 2017, 11:55:09 pm
interesting analysis of the reasons why the Senate GOPs are getting more vocal, whilst the House remains compliant:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-senate-seems-more-willing-to-push-back-against-trump-than-the-house-why/

the TR:DR version is "don't get your hopes up, self-interest still rules".  That said, the continued divergance in the Approval vs Disapproval rating chart is heartening.  Maybe even "the base" is realising that the desired prospects of environmental rap, corporate tax cuts, and financial deregulation are a heavy price for drowning in global embarassment, handcuffed to a leaden moron, and being viewed as a stooge to Putin. 

Btw, for "whistling in the dark" relief, I recommend the Pod Save America cast.  It has serious faults - very "preaching to the converted" - but its weaknesses are also strengths - hosted by ex-Obama / Clinton speechwriters - so they know how the White House should work, and can provide well informed details of the mechanical defects of the current adminsistration (beyond the normal "Trump" is a cretin").

https://getcrookedmedia.com/here-have-a-podcast-78ee56b5a323

We (wife and I) were saying this morning that Trump has pretty much lost Senate Republicans at this point: there are very few who are wholeheartedly onboard. This has to be a sign. The simple explanation? There are far more nutters in the House. As to the base, at its core, the ones who will be the last ones standing, the commitment is almost entirely emotional and entirely divorced from any rational means/ends analysis.
old skool tie

mrjonathanr

more Offline
  • forum hero
#569 Re: Trump
August 05, 2017, 07:29:47 pm
When Mueller gets round to handing his final report to the House (if Trump hasn't succeeded in sacking him first, in which case it will be another prosecutor) I think Trump will try to bring everything down around him to avoid responsibility, having whipped his remaining supporters into a state of hysterical denial. Listening to him speak to his fans it feels dangerous tbh.
máquina parcial

andy popp

more Offline
  • forum hero
#570 Re: Trump
August 06, 2017, 02:24:38 pm
I think Trump will try to bring everything down around him to avoid responsibility, having whipped his remaining supporters into a state of hysterical denial. Listening to him speak to his fans it feels dangerous tbh.

His rally in West Virginia on Thursday evening, hours after the news that Mueller has convened a Grand Jury, was very instructive. There was a strong emphasis on a new narrative about how "they" were trying to deny "your" (the crowd's) future. As indictments appear ever more likely he is clearly preparing the ground for a delegitimisation of the Special Counsel's investigation and its possible findings. I think that strategy will work in the sense that there is a constituency ready - eager - to buy that story. I was at a local music festival yesterday and noticed a number of signs of Trump support on t-shirts, hats etc. That's happens in daily life too, like the Trump yard sign that disappeared after the election but that has now reappeared. They haven't gone away and they're not about to any time soon. It does feel dangerous.

And then there's this ... a frightening endpoint to where all this rhetoric seems to be inexorably leading us.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/05/nra-new-york-times-video-coming-for-threat-dana-loesch
old skool tie

GraemeA

more Offline
  • forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#571 Re: Trump
August 09, 2017, 03:52:26 pm
Interesting development, been kept quiet for a couple of weeks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40879798

Oldmanmatt

more Offline
  • forum hero
#572 Trump
August 12, 2017, 09:09:51 pm
The videos in this article are hard to watch and difficult to see the act as "accidental" (I wondered if it was a panicked reaction, prior to actually seeing it).
The third link is the most telling, with the grey car obviously moving from clear streets into the crowd at speed and then reversing away fast and purposefully.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/charlottesville-protesters-unite-right-rally-vehicle-injuries-a7890396.html

Why in the Trump thread? Because their leader claimed they were there to fulfil Trumps promises.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:26:35 pm by Oldmanmatt »

tomtom

more Offline
  • forum hero
#573 Re: Trump
August 12, 2017, 09:46:50 pm
Well, the whole Korea thing sure does take the focus off the Russia enquiry.... just like house of cards...

tomtom

more Offline
  • forum hero
#574 Re: Trump
August 12, 2017, 09:49:44 pm
Those video clips are horrific OMM.