UKBouldering.com

One Arm'ers (Read 10038 times)

Murph

• forum abuser
#25 Re: One Arm'ers
November 10, 2016, 09:57:01 pm
I was told to do to cure it were "make your neck long" and "try to put your shoulder blades in your back pockets".  These do help engage the shoulders.  Hang off a bar in front of a mirror and try these, you'll see if you have a problem and whether you can feel the shoulder engage.  You could always film yourself if you don't have a bar and a mirror to hand.

Many thanks for this nai. I looked up some shoulder blade activation exercises off the back of this and did the shoulder blades in back pockets thing. There are some horizontal shrug type efforts that really make you feel it. I think it was worthwhile - made me think I should probably have a half decent warm up before.

Sorry you ended up typing it twice. That lore video was sposed to be inspiring rather than instructional! Nice one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#26 Re: One Arm'ers
November 11, 2016, 08:44:40 am
 ;D ;D

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#27 Re: One Arm'ers
November 11, 2016, 10:21:53 am
As others have said, shoulder stability is a prerequisite for one arm hangs.
A good test is to check whether you're able to hang one armed from a bar, controlling the shoulders and engaging them as if you were to do a one armer. It's tricky to "feel" that move.
A good practice is to hang two armed from a bar and try to pull up just by retracting the scapulae (that, by the way, should be always done when doing a pull up, instead of flexing at the elbows). The upwards movement will be quite short but you'll feel it in your upper back, especially lower traps and rhomboids, but lats also.
I hope this helps a bit more than the video.  ;)

Murph

• forum abuser
#28 Re: One Arm'ers
November 11, 2016, 01:36:40 pm
Nice oneNibs, all good stuff this. I've found some useful links by searching for one arm pull ups rather than one arm deadhangs. Although the videos of the bodyweight/callisthenics/gymnast guys demonstrating make me feel vastly inadequate. If those guys could be bothered to hang off a fingerboard every once in a while imagine what they could do on rock. And likewise I guess.

I hope this helps a bit more than the video.  ;)

The video is genuinely really helpful no bull. It cuts straight to the point. The biggest obstacle to getting started is getting started. I really enjoyed getting my arse handed to me in my one arm session yesterday. Thanks!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal