UKBouldering.com

Looking for something to do with the kids this 1/2 term? (Read 2775 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
I've been helping out my institutions stand at the NERC (Natural Environment Research Council) #intotheblue science exhibition thingy - its at the Manchester Airport Visitor park - and set under/around a Concorde in the hanger/giant tent they have there.

If you or your kids are interested in Science, Planes or both its worth a visit. Free to enter but you have to book/register (to prevent too many people going). Its not been too busy (its been poorly publicised IMHO) so if you are in the area.... worth it for 1/2 day.

http://intotheblue.nerc.ac.uk/manchester/

galpinos

• forum hero
Suitable for what ages of kids?

tomtom

• forum hero
Suitable for what ages of kids?

All I'd say. Below 3 and they won't get much out of it apart from looking at bright shiny things etc.. but lots of SCIENCE things to play around with etc.. Couple of virtual sandpits, we've a VR flood sim with a couple of occulus rifts, thermal cameras, model volcano's lots of bits and bobs. And a concorde!

Its not the science museum, but a decent hour or two I'd say. Lots of freebies (stickers, badges, pens etc...)..

(I think the car park is a fiver though.... cafe and usual plane spotting shizzle that the site offers too..)

dunnyg

• forum hero
My friend built the model volcano for this!

deacon

• addict
Just dropped the wife off at Manchester airport today from Sheffield with a grumpy nipper in tow. Sounds great too :(

tomtom

• forum hero

galpinos

• forum hero

I realise this has now finished but for anyone considering one on TomTom’s suggestions in the future……..

This was really good. My 3yo loved it, was generally fascinated by the things I was less impressed by/drawn to and vice versa, spent over 2 hrs there, watched planes for a bit on the way out and had a goody bag with stickers, pens, a bouncy globe and a REAL shark’s tooth.

(I was obsessed by the virtual sandpit thing, loved it.)

tomtom

• forum hero
Great. This sums up why it was a really good (if a little quiet) event...

andy popp

• forum hero
That's pretty damn inspiring!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
We went for the morning and had to reregister for the afternoon after running out of time half way around.  Probably the only educational thing I've taken the kids to that thay weren't asking the time or complaining they were hungry (i.e. bored) all the time. 
Everyone working there was so engaging and obviously passionate about what they're doing.
Really hoping seeds have been sown.
Adults enjoyed it just as much.  Good job posting about it tomtom.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal