UKBouldering.com

Sudocrem for tips (Read 7128 times)

user deactivated

Sudocrem for tips
October 25, 2016, 06:57:42 pm
Cheap as chips and seems to work as well if not better than anything else I've tried! Has anyone else compared this stuff to the other products? Highly recommended 👌

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Sudocrem for tips
October 26, 2016, 10:47:04 am
I found it a bit sticky and doesn't absorb that well. Try Bepanthen too, also made for babies' arses and found it worked better on them at least.

SamT

• forum hero
#2 Re: Sudocrem for tips
October 26, 2016, 11:56:37 am
Aveno is another to add to the list.  Works really well on my sons eczema .

user deactivated

#3 Re: Sudocrem for tips
October 26, 2016, 01:07:08 pm
I thought that about the sudocrem to - not so absorbent but seemed to help the tips heal really well. Clearly need to start comparing nappy rash ointments 😂

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#4 Re: Sudocrem for tips
October 26, 2016, 01:12:32 pm
This is probably worth quoting again.

and absorbs into my skin (unlike a lot of climber balms).

I know this is pedantic but it's not absorbed into the skin.

Moisturisers work by keeping moisture in the skins and proventing it evaporating, this is why "greasy" moisturisers actually work the best, but are obviously most suited to an evening/bedtime application.

galpinos

• forum hero
#5 Re: Sudocrem for tips
October 26, 2016, 01:36:11 pm
This is probably worth quoting again.

and absorbs into my skin (unlike a lot of climber balms).

I know this is pedantic but it's not absorbed into the skin.

Moisturisers work by keeping moisture in the skins and proventing it evaporating, this is why "greasy" moisturisers actually work the best, but are obviously most suited to an evening/bedtime application.

As a caveat, my quote above is quiye simplistic. UKC announced that they are going to do a review of moisturisers and I asked them:

"Rob, I think you need to add an intro as to what the products are trying to do, preferbaly written by someone who knows that they are talking about, i.e. a dermatologist. Not all moisturisers are the same and work in different ways. The waxy moistusiers are occlusives, they will obviously feel different than a product such as Climbskin as they work totally differently. Are you going to include standard over the counter emollients like E45 that are the "industry standard" and far cheaper (less than a fiver for 350g)."

and apparently they are so that could be quitre interesting. A lot of "climbing moisturisers" work, but are no better than the cheap as chips industry standards from your local chemist/Quality Save.

In the case of Sudocrem, it's actually a mildly antiseptic barrier cream. It's water repellant, hence it doesn't "absorb well" as it's not meant to be absorbed. It's meant to stay on the surface of the skin, creating a barrier to piss and crap whilst the skin beneath heals. It's great for anywhere where the skin is broken as once clean, it stops infection getting in.

Aveeno is rated by my mother-in-law (doctor of dermatology of god knows how many years, not to be confused with the Olay "dermatologically tested" bollocks that means nothing....) despite the active ingredient being magic oats.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Sudocrem for tips
October 26, 2016, 02:11:21 pm
Great post Galpinos.

As a barrier cream we find Metanium (white) better than Sudocream for nappy rash - seems thicker and stays on longer. Ingredients are mainly Titanium dioxide and paraffin... blocker and oil effectively.

Murph

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Sudocrem for tips
October 26, 2016, 02:21:32 pm
This is an incredibly useful thread to me at this time as am currently struggling with cream beta as I'm sure many of us have been.

Thanks galpinos for sharing that knowledge it really has been a mystery to me.

Recently I've been applying Flexitol - cracked heel treatment - to deal with an array of flappers, split tips and general poor condition skin. Also randomly applying climb on when I fancy a different smell, and I use various nipple creams, oilatum and diprobase on the kids so I have no idea what if anything is working vs just leaving them alone.

Inherently suspicious of climb on and the motives of folk that promote it but use it anyway.

Like "max deadhangs for finger strength" or "create a calorie deficit to lose weight" I would love to know the simple/good enough solution there is to climbing skin woes.

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#8 Re: Sudocrem for tips
October 26, 2016, 02:58:39 pm
Aveeno is rated by my mother-in-law (doctor of dermatology of god knows how many years, not to be confused with the Olay "dermatologically tested" bollocks that means nothing....) despite the active ingredient being magic oats.

Aveeno was the best moisturiser I found while on Roaccutane as a teenager (medicine for acne with extremely dry skin as a side effect).

Recently I have started using Palmer's Cocoa Butter as an oil based option, to me seems similar to climb-on or one of the other climbing solid moisturisers but if I have my maths right ~10x cheaper at ~£3 for 100g vs £10 for 30g.

dave

#9 Re: Sudocrem for tips
October 26, 2016, 03:05:55 pm
I've used that palmers a lot in the past. I rate it as good as anything else, I'll probably get some more in future. As people point out it is greasy, which as we've established is a good thing.

This year been trying the expensive and much vaunted Elizabeth Arden stuff, both the white and pink capped versions. Absolute waste of money IMHO, they are not appreciably better than anything else, including the piss cheap Aldi stuff I've been comparing em with.

user deactivated

#10 Re: Sudocrem for tips
October 26, 2016, 03:31:22 pm
Thanks! Maybe the way forward would be to apply an oil based moisturiser followed by the sudocrem? Anyway it definitely seems to have helped my tip heal faster than any other products inc the Elizabeth Arden stuff and other climbing branded stuff. Also note to self - don't use antihydral before autumn grit sessions, major error.

galpinos

• forum hero
#11 Re: Sudocrem for tips
October 26, 2016, 03:32:22 pm
Great post Galpinos.

As a barrier cream we find Metanium (white) better than Sudocream for nappy rash - seems thicker and stays on longer. Ingredients are mainly Titanium dioxide and paraffin... blocker and oil effectively.

My eldest really suffered a lot with Nappy Rash and the only treatment was the yellow Metanium. The white stuff just seemed like sudocrem but more expensive.

(Total aside but I'm currently working on a Titanium Oxide plant near Hartlepool at the moment. Lovely place.........)

tomtom

• forum hero
#12 Re: Sudocrem for tips
October 26, 2016, 03:34:50 pm
Great post Galpinos.

My eldest really suffered a lot with Nappy Rash and the only treatment was the yellow Metanium. The white stuff just seemed like sudocrem but more expensive.

(Total aside but I'm currently working on a Titanium Oxide plant near Hartlepool at the moment. Lovely place.........)

Yeah - not much difference - we have both now and I prefer the toothpaste tube to the tub :) I'll do some science and coat TTjnr's LH cheek with Sudocream and the RH cheek with Metanium :D

(Metanium does sound like a transformer though!)

chris j

• forum abuser
#13 Re: Sudocrem for tips
October 26, 2016, 06:29:40 pm
After a previous recommendation on here I found the lanolin based nipple cream applied overnight very good for cracks and splits in my tips. The Mrs had half a tube left over after offspring #1 stopped feeding which was a bonus!

Will have to bear in mind the recommendation for Metanium for offspring #2 arriving next month, we only used the white Sudocream which sometimes took a few days to clear up rash for #1.

mikester

• regular
#14 Re: Sudocrem for tips
October 26, 2016, 06:49:19 pm
Recent convert to emollients. Epaderm and Diprobase are two widely available brands and pretty cheap. The ointments are like axle grease but the creams are better for day-to-day duties.

battery

• obsessive maniac
#15 Re: Sudocrem for tips
October 26, 2016, 09:58:15 pm
Metanium clears nappy rash overnight in our experience. Lanolin nipple cream is bloody expensive but works ridiculously quickly in making cracked nipples comfortable for a small child to feed on again. Elizabeth Arden is the best treatment I have found for chapped lips/sore nose/overnight on tender tips but if it's no good for during the day to make tight skin feel better. Just my 2 penneth!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

SamT

• forum hero
#16 Re: Sudocrem for tips
October 26, 2016, 11:09:59 pm
Reading through this with interest and it strikes me that there are all sorts of variables and factors at play.

Firstly - what is up with your fingers in the first place.

Is the skin too dry from chalk use, and your trying to soften it to prevent it splitting or ripping flappers.
Or
Is your skin sore from the abrasion of hanging on grit slopers all day and you wanting to heal the abrasions.
Or
Do you have a more severe split/cut that you're trying to heal.

If your in need of healing, then something anti septic is going to help surely.  Also, a barrier to prevent further infection.

If your trying to soften skin, to prevent cracking, then surely a different approach/product will be required.

Also, are some of the ingredients 'soothing' i.e. have some sort of anesthetic quality, that simply makes your finger tips 'feel' better since they stop hurting.

Nothing particularly of note there - just food for thought.  :coffee:

SamT

• forum hero
#17 Re: Sudocrem for tips
October 26, 2016, 11:13:42 pm
Ahhh - and while I remember, on the Aveeno/oats front, when son#1 was recovering from particularly nasty chicken pox rash, we put oats in a sock and soaked it in the bath.  This worked an absolute treat. However, be warned. Do not then leave said sock in a wet heap on the corner of the bath in a warm house and go away for the weekend.  The stench was indescribable, proper gip inducing..  :sick:

T_B

• forum hero
#18 Re: Sudocrem for tips
October 27, 2016, 07:42:03 am
Had eczema all my life so have tried most things. In addition to steroid cream and Zerobase (what was called Diprobase), I accidentally discovered Hydromol ointment a few years ago. You would only use it overnight as it's very 'clarty', but it's amazingly healing on cracked/sore skin. It's a barrier but doesn't feel at all like Metanium, which I can't stand to have on my hands at all (used to apply it to babies bums with gloves!). Worth a try.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 07:49:26 am by T_B »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal