UKBouldering.com

Hit me with your best shoulder exercises (Read 13116 times)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
A picture] video is worth a thousand words.
Because it doesn't involve reading?
 ;)

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
That's also the one that I suggested 100 posts ago... Then here it along comes Dr. Andreo Spina and everyone goes Oooh and Ahhh.

Careful Nibs, don't let your normally perfect English slip just because you're frothing with rage & jealousy.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
That's also the one that I suggested 100 posts ago... Then here it along comes Dr. Andreo Spina and everyone goes Oooh and Ahhh.

Careful Nibs, don't let your normally perfect English slip just because you're frothing with rage & jealousy.
Hey cheers! Much appreciated!
 :off: does what I wrote have another meaning, or is it plain wrong?  :off:

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
À propos thousands words. The podcast referred to above is three hours?! Seriously? That's a tenth of the entire IQ84

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
:off: does what I wrote have another meaning, or is it plain wrong?  :off:

Tricky isn’t it? I’m at the stage with my German where I’m nowhere near perfect, but sufficiently functionally fluent for most purposes that hardly anybody bothers to correct me any more. Except my son occasionally. Which makes it hard to improve further.

“Here comes” means something different – literally, “is approaching right now”; “here it comes” simply isn’t said.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
Got it, cheers.
 :)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Well ... In your sentence Nibs, "it" is a direct object or subject pronoun and  "Dr Andreo" is the subject so the two together do not make sense. It's tautologous.

Since you know Spanish (and I do not know Italian) try this:
Aquí lo viene el Doctor Andreo vs Aquí viene el Doctor Andreo
"Aquí viene" = here it/he/she comes

Alles klar?  :)

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
Yes, that's right.
I simply literally translated into English and Italian way of using pronouns. Sometimes we double them, of course it's idiomatic, so it shouldn't be written anyway!
Cheers, nice to learn something new.

BicepsMou

• regular

<<Hanging shrugs>>

Do you mean the same thing as scapular pull-ups?

That's the one.
That's also the one that I suggested 100 posts ago... Then here it comes Dr. Andreo Spina and everyone goes Oooh and Ahhh.
 :'(

Hey Nibs, did not mean to highjack your valuable recommendation!
By reading quickly thru the posts I simply  did not get it, my fault   :icon_beerchug:

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE

<<Hanging shrugs>>

Do you mean the same thing as scapular pull-ups?

That's the one.
That's also the one that I suggested 100 posts ago... Then here it comes Dr. Andreo Spina and everyone goes Oooh and Ahhh.
 :'(

Hey Nibs, did not mean to highjack your valuable recommendation!
By reading quickly thru the posts I simply  did not get it, my fault   :icon_beerchug:
Come on, I wasn't being that serious! No fault at all!
It was just a very good chance for me to be smug as per UKB ancient routes!
 :beer2:

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
*ancient roots.
Sorry. Should have read it before posting. Damn!

kelvin

• forum hero
Thanks for the recommendations!

From the wall angels it is clear just how big problem I have with mobility. I've been doing them for a while, and there is no way I can keep my forearms to the wall and having any kind of range of motion.

Just wondering how you're getting on with these? I'm struggling to get any improvement after two months of trying slightly intermittently. I'm doing so much stuff, and for four months now, that I need to have breaks from things. Even laying on the floor and using gravity, which is easier' doesn't seem to be helping.

One thing has seemed to hugely and that's tabletop bridges but holding the bridge and making sure the fingers point sideways and not backwards. Really squeezing the scapulars together gives a really good stretch down the front of the shoulder and into the upper arm.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground

From the wall angels it is clear just how big problem I have with mobility....

Just wondering how you're getting on with these? I'm struggling to get any improvement after two months of trying slightly intermittently.

I'm slowly improving. I've been told that it will take around 6 months of diligent work to get a normal range of motion, ok motor control and decent activation.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Taps 'aff AND barefoot/5 finger shoe thingmies... wtf??  :-\

That's worse than tops off & beanie!!

erm, sam

• forum hero
I'm slowly improving. I've been told that it will take around 6 months of diligent work to get a normal range of motion, ok motor control and decent activation.

It probably took me a year of frequent (sessions once or twice a week) stetching before I found a decent improvement in my overhead wall angel type range of motion. Now it takes a little warm up and I can get the back of my hands on floor above my head, straight arms, shoulders in a good position. Before I started, my hands were probably a foot off the floor or something. Takes a while.

kelvin

• forum hero

It probably took me a year of frequent (sessions once or twice a week) stetching before I found a decent improvement in my overhead wall angel type range of motion. Now it takes a little warm up and I can get the back of my hands on floor above my head, straight arms, shoulders in a good position. Before I started, my hands were probably a foot off the floor or something. Takes a while.

Interesting - this is something I've always been able to do. It's the angel arms bent and out to the sides that I'm nowhere near doing but good to know persistance pays off. I've been paying attention to what I do at work and how that affects shoulder movement and the muscles I lock up to help and it's pretty obvious now what causes the problem.
I was pasting wallpaper on Wed and it's the first time in maybe 23/4 years that it's caused me no pain or discomfort, during or the next day. A side benifit but much appreciated.

chris05

• forum abuser
 I can do the full wall angel with hands flat on the wall or floor bit find that my wrists aren't flat once I go below should height, they then lift off while the hands stay in contact with the wall/floor. Been working on getting these flat but not sure after the posts above whether this is a weakness? Does anyone else find this?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
I can do the full wall angel with hands flat on the wall or floor bit find that my wrists aren't flat once I go below should height, they then lift off while the hands stay in contact with the wall/floor. Been working on getting these flat but not sure after the posts above whether this is a weakness? Does anyone else find this?

Hi Chris,

This is interesting as if I do a wall angel, I find that my left wrist (the side on which I have a history of shoulder impingement) comes off the wall when I go above shoulder height. I simply can't make it touch no matter how hard I try. I suspect for both of us it is areas of specific tightness/weakness/lack of proprioception/inflexibility that we should try to work out.

Great thread for a habitual shoulder sufferer.

Exercises that I have found work in combination:
- Theraband turnouts with arm at different angles (theraband round door handle, grab end, with hand facing towards handle, turn away keeping elbow locked in position, rotating around shoulder joint) - upper arm vertical against chest, starting position hand across body (standard), upper arm parallel to ground, upper arm almost vertical. The last one was recommended by a physio as being more specific to climbing, with the standard version only useful for early stage rehab.

- Theraband front raises. Grab theraband in middle with hands close together at waist height, turn hands out stretching theraband until they are about hip width apart. Lock shoulder blades down and pinch together slightly. Raise hands in front of you with straight arms until vertical over head, repeat. Focus is on keeping shoulder blades down and pinched together rather than allowing them to rise or wing out. Start with an easy theraband - I found this knackering to start with.

- Prone arm lifts. Lie on your face with your head over the edge of a bed (so you can breathe. At physio you do this on their table with a facehole in, have to improvise at home). Hands by your side, palms facing up. Press shoulder blades down and pinch together slightly, which should lift them off bed. Lift hands slowly by your side to about 30 degrees. Hold for 10 seconds. Rest. Repeat. Progressions are to turn palms to face forward, and do 'angel' motions, eventual aim being to lift arms and raise in an arc from by legs to above head whilst keeping your shoulders in correct position.

-

petejh

• forum hero
To anyone struggling with range of motion in a shoulder or any other joint (mine's left shoulder following a bad rotator cuff tear 8 years ago), take a look at Douglas Heel's stuff. If you're in the n.Wales area there's a physio who can show you how to do this. Makes a big difference with mine.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
I've had shoulder probs over the years (bad rotator cuff tear a while back) and have been using a machine called a Scenar / Pain Genie that my friend bought. When I can afford it I would definitely buy one. It works incredibly.

Just to be clear I have no connection with the people who make them etc blah blah.

Have used on fingers and all sort of muscle injuries and strains acquired through climbing, its great and genuinely works.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
everyone goes Oooh and Ahhh.

Nothing to do with the post, we are just all in pain from trying those pull ups.

chris05

• forum abuser

Hi Chris,

This is interesting as if I do a wall angel, I find that my left wrist (the side on which I have a history of shoulder impingement) comes off the wall when I go above shoulder height. I simply can't make it touch no matter how hard I try. I suspect for both of us it is areas of specific tightness/weakness/lack of proprioception/inflexibility that we should try to work out.

Great thread for a habitual shoulder sufferer.

Exercises that I have found work in combination:
- Theraband turnouts with arm at different angles (theraband round door handle, grab end, with hand facing towards handle, turn away keeping elbow locked in position, rotating around shoulder joint) - upper arm vertical against chest, starting position hand across body (standard), upper arm parallel to ground, upper arm almost vertical. The last one was recommended by a physio as being more specific to climbing, with the standard version only useful for early stage rehab.

- Theraband front raises. Grab theraband in middle with hands close together at waist height, turn hands out stretching theraband until they are about hip width apart. Lock shoulder blades down and pinch together slightly. Raise hands in front of you with straight arms until vertical over head, repeat. Focus is on keeping shoulder blades down and pinched together rather than allowing them to rise or wing out. Start with an easy theraband - I found this knackering to start with.

- Prone arm lifts. Lie on your face with your head over the edge of a bed (so you can breathe. At physio you do this on their table with a facehole in, have to improvise at home). Hands by your side, palms facing up. Press shoulder blades down and pinch together slightly, which should lift them off bed. Lift hands slowly by your side to about 30 degrees. Hold for 10 seconds. Rest. Repeat. Progressions are to turn palms to face forward, and do 'angel' motions, eventual aim being to lift arms and raise in an arc from by legs to above head whilst keeping your shoulders in correct position.

-

Thanks for the exercises. I'll give them a try. I have also been trying to work on it by simply holding the positions without the movement part. So I will have my arms at about shoulder height where I struggle to keep my wrists in contact with the wall and allow by back to arch a little, i then try to extend the lower back so that it is almost flat on the wall but keep my wrists into the wall too. Holding this pose, relaxing and then holding it for say five reps seems to be helping although it's early days. I did get the exercise from somewhere online although not sure where now!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal