UKBouldering.com

Rice protein (Read 9237 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Rice protein
October 05, 2016, 01:57:19 pm
Has anyone tried this and care to comment on its taste and/ or effectiveness? The brand I was looking at gives ' brown rice' as the only ingredient.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Rice protein
October 05, 2016, 03:14:54 pm
Good with fishcakes

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#2 Re: Rice protein
October 05, 2016, 03:26:01 pm
I haven't tried it and it's supposed to have a "flavour that cannot be masked by flavourings or sweeteners". From what we covered in the nutrition modules a few weeks ago, it needs to be mixed with Pea protein to provide the complete Amino acid balance, that you would find in non-Vegan protein powders (aka whey). Are you Vegan or have a dairy allergy/intolerance? All the vegetable derived proteins are, supposedly, less easily metabolised or slower to become available after ingestion etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#3 Re: Rice protein
October 05, 2016, 03:41:39 pm
Why using rice protein instead of whey or other sources?
I've been using two brands as of late, one is called Named (very good, probably the best taste ever tried but very pricey) and the other one is Yamamoto (still good and good taste, much cheaper especially in the big packages).

Sidehaas

• stalker
#4 Re: Rice protein
October 05, 2016, 05:07:43 pm
I've had some that I put in my porridge, I got it as it was on offer and I hadn't tried any protein powder before. I've got more used to it now, but it's fair to say I use quite a lot of mixed spice  (with a banana too) to offset the taste. More than about 10g in a bowl of porridge (50g oats) wouldn't work as it's too powdery. I've not found anything else that it works in, except mixed with hot milk in very small amounts (it's too fine to mix sensibly with water.)

Edit: I've not used whey to compare it though.

finbarrr

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Rice protein
October 05, 2016, 06:01:19 pm
The Rice protein I tried had horrible flavour and consistency, not unlike sawdust

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#6 Re: Rice protein
October 05, 2016, 06:12:25 pm
Just eat food. Cheaper, tastier, better for you. Unless you're full time/8C I doubt it'll make a hoot of difference.

Sidehaas

• stalker
#7 Re: Rice protein
October 05, 2016, 08:24:05 pm
The Rice protein I tried had horrible flavour and consistency, not unlike sawdust

Sounds about right.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#8 Re: Rice protein
October 05, 2016, 10:21:37 pm
Have just skimmed this (ie went straight to the discussion and skimmed that...).

http://download.springer.com/static/pdf/676/art%253A10.1186%252F1475-2891-12-86.pdf?originUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fnutritionj.biomedcentral.com%2Farticle%2F10.1186%2F1475-2891-12-86&token2=exp=1475702593~acl=%2Fstatic%2Fpdf%2F676%2Fart%25253A10.1186%25252F1475-2891-12-86.pdf*~hmac=fddc1cd79dd18861be70a96ef07b2821083f6d9db2a01bc25bc97c522c0b5add

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#9 Re: Rice protein
October 05, 2016, 10:41:42 pm
Have just skimmed this (ie went straight to the discussion and skimmed that...).

http://download.springer.com/static/pdf/676/art%253A10.1186%252F1475-2891-12-86.pdf?originUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fnutritionj.biomedcentral.com%2Farticle%2F10.1186%2F1475-2891-12-86&token2=exp=1475702593~acl=%2Fstatic%2Fpdf%2F676%2Fart%25253A10.1186%25252F1475-2891-12-86.pdf*~hmac=fddc1cd79dd18861be70a96ef07b2821083f6d9db2a01bc25bc97c522c0b5add

It's a shame they didn't compare it to eating 48g of protein from actual food.

I was about to spout off about the subjects all probably looking bloated and chubby like most protein shake drinking gym-goers...but they all increased lean muscle and reduced body fat....so...erm.... Sounds like a solid training protocol!

I would still like to see it compared to real food though.

Edited to add the punchline:

Acknowledgement

The authors would like to thank Increnovo LLC, Milwaukee, WI, for funding this research.

Increnovo LLC is a global consulting company that provides cutting-edge technologies and offers innovative products and services to the food, beverage, and dietary supplement industries.

dave

#10 Re: Rice protein
October 05, 2016, 10:50:44 pm
The "real food is cheaper and better" thing is all very well, but when to get say the same protein as one serving of a typical whey powder means necking a full pint of semi-skimmed milk, which even at Tesco-screw-the-farmers-over prices is still more expensive than the whey works out. And has a cost to store and a space penalty. And you've got to sit there drinking a pint of milk, or tons of eggs, or a kilo of tuna or peanut butter or whatever other cheap source of protein you might be using all of which I happen to hate.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#11 Re: Rice protein
October 05, 2016, 11:02:13 pm
I didn't say it was cheaper and better - I just said "do you really need powders". .... oh....I did say it was cheaper further up... maybe in huge doses supplements might be cheaper, I've not looked in a while because I'm not interested, but a can of mackerel is...£1? 

Also do you really need that amount of protein?  Ok, if you're into weights and want to get big...but I'm around 90% veggie these days and I did some basic sums -- it worked out I need an extra can of mackerel on climbing days to get enough.  Most climbing sessions you're only really taxing forearms, a wee bit of bicep and some upper back muscles.

I still haven't seen any SCIENCE indicating that climbers need a lot of extra protein. I'm basing my sums on what elite endurance runners require - which from memory is around 1.2g/kg. Not the 2 to 3g/kg recommended for beefcakes.

I just think power:weight ratio is more important than pure muscle mass, so being a bit lean on the protein might make gains slower, but you're less likely to need to "cut" like traditional resistance trainers.  [/opinion]

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 11:11:44 pm by Fultonius »

TobyD

• forum hero
#12 Re: Rice protein
October 05, 2016, 11:30:00 pm
The "real food is cheaper and better" thing is all very well, but when to get say the same protein as one serving of a typical whey powder means necking a full pint of semi-skimmed milk, which even at Tesco-screw-the-farmers-over prices is still more expensive than the whey works out.

yep pretty much what I have worked out too; additionally, although I generally will eat loads and don't have a problem with appetite, I find it difficult to feel hungry immediately after hard exercise. Thirsty, yes. In the mood for a load of eggs and tinned fish, no.

Also do you really need that amount of protein?  Ok, if you're into weights and want to get big...but I'm around 90% veggie these days and I did some basic sums -- it worked out I need an extra can of mackerel on climbing days to get enough.  Most climbing sessions you're only really taxing forearms, a wee bit of bicep and some upper back muscles.
I still haven't seen any SCIENCE indicating that climbers need a lot of extra protein. I'm basing my sums on what elite endurance runners require - which from memory is around 1.2g/kg. Not the 2 to 3g/kg recommended for beefcakes.
I just think power:weight ratio is more important than pure muscle mass, so being a bit lean on the protein might make gains slower, but you're less likely to need to "cut" like traditional resistance trainers.  [/opinion]

So in my case... yes i think i need it at the moment, i've been in hospital for nearly one out of the previous 3 months, am massively deconditioned, lighter than usual, and am doing about two hours a day in the gym, four or five days a week.Ordinarily, if I'd been for a standard day of trad or a quick boulder I wouldn't bother, if i'd had a hard training session, or day of redpointing I probably would. Especially as I can drink a protein shake driving back from Malham, wolfing mackerel while driving would probably get messy (and smelly!)

Thanks all

TobyD

• forum hero
#13 Re: Rice protein
October 05, 2016, 11:35:43 pm
... continued from previous: thanks all for the previous replies I'll probably stick to the whey brand i've used before then (from Holland and Barrett). The rice stuff sounds like it may be a bit rank. Thanks for the recommendations above as well, however I need to stick to certain brands, as I'm coeliac and it pretty much needs to state 'glutenfree' on the label (as this rice stuff in question does) as some brands may contain trace gluten (myprotein for example I can't have as one or two flavours have malt derivatives in them or something).

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#14 Rice protein
October 05, 2016, 11:43:34 pm
I didn't say it was cheaper and better - I just said "do you really need powders". .... oh....I did say it was cheaper further up... maybe in huge doses supplements might be cheaper, I've not looked in a while because I'm not interested, but a can of mackerel is...£1? 

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-4-8

There would seem to be a middle ground, however the ~20g of protein after exercise is fairly well established (ie a single shake or tin of tuna) and unlikely to lead to  bloating.
I take 3 shakes per week, immediately after training (~3 hrs training/session). I'm 75kg and 182cm tall, BMI 22.6, not very bloated...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 11:54:25 pm by Oldmanmatt »

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#15 Re: Rice protein
October 06, 2016, 08:25:59 am
but a can of mackerel is...£1? 

Aldi mackerel fillets, 200g for £1.29.  20g protein per 100g portion.

(although 20g whey works out at just under 30p/portion if bought in 5kg pack)

dave

#16 Re: Rice protein
October 06, 2016, 08:40:43 am
but a can of mackerel is...£1? 

Aldi mackerel fillets, 200g for £1.29.  20g protein per 100g portion.

(although 20g whey works out at just under 30p/portion if bought in 5kg pack)

Yep, the whey is cheaper. You don't even have to buy in ridiculous bulk either. The Myprotein basic impact whey at the minute is something like £13 for a kilo which is the smallest most expensive-per-unit-weight pack, 40x 25g servings per pack, 21g protein per serving working out at just over 30p per scoop, so half as expensive than Aldi Mackerel.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#17 Re: Rice protein
October 06, 2016, 09:08:48 am
so half as expensive than Aldi Mackerel.

with the added bonus of not tasting of mackerel.

In fact 2 eggs would work out at about 40p and 20g protein as well, so better £/g than fish but still not as good as whey.

I started using myfitnesspal when I was trying a Keto diet to make sure my macros were right and even now I'm off it I easily get 1.5g protein/kg/day from a normal diet.  Eggs for breakfast on a climbing day and and a scoop of whey afterwards tips it over 2g/kg which is more than enough.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#18 Re: Rice protein
October 06, 2016, 10:12:27 am
Screw you all and your "facts"....we live in the post-factual world now. So I state mackerel is better, end of. Oily fish, innit!   

dave

#19 Re: Rice protein
October 06, 2016, 10:16:48 am
You can prove anything with facts.

Paul B

• forum hero
#20 Re: Rice protein
October 06, 2016, 10:28:32 am
MyProtein are pretty helpful via twitter etc. Toby - perhaps they could point you at one of their products/flavours that'd be suitable? Or you could go unflavoured and buy some of their flavour drops ( :sick: :blink: :shit:)...

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#21 Re: Rice protein
October 06, 2016, 11:16:03 am
Moreover, many studies show that pre- and intra-workout nutrition are far more important than post-workout nutrition, not only in terms of recovery, but also in terms of performance. Gulping a can of tuna during a session is hardly going to do you good.
Food is excellent, but it takes time to be digested and isn't rapidly available.
Also, a can of tuna or mackerel has lots of fat and god knows how many chemicals, so I prefer to suffer with simil chocolate protein shakes during the session, and then get some real tuna or other stuff with an excellent extra-virgin olive oil for dinner.
I can't understand why one should worry about money with nutrition, it's such an important thing. Buying a cheap used cell phone instead of a new one could fuel your sport nutrition for ages.

TobyD

• forum hero
#22 Re: Rice protein
October 06, 2016, 01:45:14 pm
MyProtein are pretty helpful via twitter etc

Thanks Paul, I used to get their stuff but I emailed them after I was diagnosed, they advised me that none of their products are suitable for coeliacs, due to packaging/ cross contamination issues. The H&B stuff tastes OK and isn't that expensive.

I can't understand why one should worry about money with nutrition,

I agree. I'm not too worried about it. Gluten free foods all tend to be bloody expensive anyway, so I'm over worrying about it really.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#23 Re: Rice protein
October 06, 2016, 04:33:01 pm
Man, that must be nightmare - even cross contamination is enough to make you ill? 

TobyD

• forum hero
#24 Re: Rice protein
October 06, 2016, 10:55:02 pm
Yes, the threshold for affecting coeliacs is 20 ppm gluten. It can be a bit of a pain in the butt! Not the end of the world though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal