UKBouldering.com

cramping stomache muscles (Read 4160 times)

webbo

• forum hero
cramping stomache muscles
September 02, 2004, 04:08:13 pm
does anyone else experience their stomache muscles going in to spasm.i get this happen sometimes midway through a session, often when i bend over to put my shoes back on.the muscles seem to spasm, going rock hard and i can't move till i some how get them to relax.it never happens while i'm actually climbing.
i've hade it happen whilst relaxing in the bath after climbing.it just happened whilst i was sitting the car and reached across in to the other seat.
any ideas.

dave

#1 cramping stomache muscles
September 02, 2004, 04:16:59 pm
aren't cramps in general due to lak of salt or potassium or something like that? try eating mo bananas.

cofe

• forum hero
#2 cramping stomache muscles
September 02, 2004, 04:21:14 pm
most people go to a doctor etc for medical help, webbo on the other hand goes to the people who are best placed to dish out medical advice....nice one.
 :wink:

webbo

• forum hero
#3 cramping stomache muscles
September 02, 2004, 04:34:38 pm
as i work in the health service.i get to see the medical profession close up.not a pretty site.thats why i'm asking on here.although i've just got some advice on my recovering sprained ankle from a physio who just walked in the office.
i eat at least one banana a day.

squeek

• junky
#4 cramping stomache muscles
September 02, 2004, 04:46:54 pm
I've not had this problem and I drink lots of ale, so that's almost definately the cure.   :wink:

webbo

• forum hero
#5 cramping stomache muscles
September 02, 2004, 04:53:07 pm
if the advice continues at this high level,i guess i'll end up asking the trainee psychiatrist in the office next door. :byebye:

Tim Heaton

• addict
#6 cramping stomache muscles
September 02, 2004, 07:25:14 pm
I feel your pain.

Can't offer any advice I'm afraid but can sympathize as the same thing happens to me. Really painful and often for a day afterwards it feels like you've pulled the muscle (hurts when stretch upwards). As you say it tends to happen after you've put a lot of strain on the abs and then just relax. Thinking about it now I guess that one solution might be to do a cat stretch after each session? Or maybe just a few more situps to strengthen the area?

Tim, Fellow cramp sufferer :(

Simon S

• menacing presence
#7 cramping stomache muscles
September 02, 2004, 08:23:15 pm
Have you recently increased the number of ab exercises that your doing? I had something similar about a year ago and was told to ease up on any exercise that involved using these muscules. It sorted it out fairly quickly but then I had not had the problem for very long, think it was about a week.
Hope it gets better soon.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#8 cramping stomache muscles
September 02, 2004, 09:48:15 pm
do you eat?

webbo

• forum hero
#9 cramping stomache muscles
September 03, 2004, 02:11:18 pm
i don't do any supplementry training .i just boulder 3 times aweek.usually twice indoors plus some cycling.i also do some stretching for my lower back first thing every morning.
yes i do eat.i'm 5'8'' and11 stone which gives you an idea how much i eat. :wink:

Tim Heaton

• addict
#10 cramping stomache muscles
September 03, 2004, 02:56:42 pm
It's not really stomach cramps for me but the muscle layer on top. I too eat but looking at me you might still wonder :cry: - I wish I could put some weight on, when I used to row I tried to eat two breakfasts, two lunches and two dinners, still skinny as a rake.
I haven't had it happen to me for a while now, I think the last time was when I was in the gym just after having done some deadlifts and then lying down on the bench press.
I don't really do a large volume of situps - I find they grind my lower back but have been trying to strengthen them recently which is perhaps why it hasn't happened recently (there you go contradictory advice to Simon, perfect climbing thread  :wink: )

On a side note does anyone find they sometimes have bad wind after a heavy climbing session on steep overhangs where you need lots of body tension?  :cry:  :wink:

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#11 cramping stomache muscles
September 03, 2004, 03:34:18 pm
Stomach Cramps? I recon Fingers of a Martyr is the man/kid to talk to about that

:lol:  :wink:

believe it or not, if i ever got hunger pains, doing a load of sit ups and leg raises got rid of them for a while. any form of excercise will suppress hunger actually, but abs are easy to work. :wink:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal