UKBouldering.com

High Tor for hardish Sport (Read 4918 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
High Tor for hardish Sport
August 31, 2016, 10:46:22 am
When you are cursing condensation and seepage down in one of the Dales just think that you could have gone to  High Tor instead.

High Tor never condenses or seeps. It catches the breeze and there are a selection of routes across the grades. As it faces West the best time for cooler conditions on sunny days are mornings and evenings. If having a full day when it is sunny then afternoon shade across the valley at Lorry Park Quarry or Long Tor Quarry can be found.

The most reliable way to get there from Sheffield is to take the Chesterfield to Matlock Road A632 which takes you past eatswood. For most this will be accessed via the A61 and Chesterfield ring road though a labyrinthine route via Gardoms and Eastmoor is possible though you need Bonjoy as a navigator.

From the edge of Sheffield it will take about 30 mins to get to Starkholmes village (park diplomatically please) at the top of the crag. A 5 minute walk up a tarmac road will get you almost to the summit where you can use a tree with a chain (The Castellan tree) for an airy 50m abseil if going straight for the main event. If seeking easier warm ups then come off the tamac earlier and skirt left following paths to contour around to the right so you end up at the Right Wing. This has been bolted extensively by Gary Gibson to give eleven routes from 6a-7a+ which are useful as warm ups. The best warm up is Endgame 6c+.

Further details on UKC logbook: www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=119

Best Sport Routes

High Torqueing 7c+ * (Left Wing)
Mixed opinions on the quality of this one. An obvious hanging groove with bouldery skin shredding moves leads to easier climbing on immaculate rock.

Wil E Coyote 7c+ (Left Wing) **
A wall of shallow pockets with an undercut mono move then a bulgy 7b overhanging section to finish

The following are located in the Castellan Cave. This stays in the shade for much longer than the main face. There is a single chunky bolt belay on the second ledge system by a groove. This can be accessed from above by bouncing in on the Castellan abseil. You can also access from the bottom by a 4b scramble up the first pitch of Skylight. Next to it there is also a 6b bolted  Approach Pitch which I’ve not done so can’t comment.

Limelight 8b (8b+ maybe?) **
The overhang left of Castellan was freed by Jon Clark and has only had one repeat from Ethan. Meant to have a long move but cant be impossibly as Ethan isn’t gigantic 

Pump out the Squealies 7b+ **
Just left of Limelight. A bouldery perplexing start leads to a funky groove.

Light and Shade 7A+ *
The pocketed rib and wall left again. Not done this   

Traddy Sport !
Three outstanding routes fall into the category of having short sections which require trad gear but are mainly protected by in situ gear

Mad Max 7b+ *** (Left Wing)
Outstanding wall climb from the Lee Brothers (no relation) and reequipped by Graham Hoey a few years ago. Some friends in breaks then a couple of small wires (one currently in situ) leads to some large gear on the left in the groove of M1. Quest back right and it’s a clip up all the way

Roadrunner 7b ***(Left Wing)
Big Ron tick. A few cams are required on the traverse then a medium nut above the bootlace thread then it’s a clip up though the pegs on the A6 headwall are old but it is possible but less satisfying to bail out at the High Torqueing belay. Also when you move past the bootlace thread then move left to stand on the High Torqueing flake. Going direct then left is much harder.

Big Cigar 7c **
My recent addition. Requires doing the well protected start of Castellan and some ropework trickery all explained here   

In need of rebolting:

The Passion Wagon 7b  *
On the right side of the main face.

V2 7a ** (Left Wing)
Mainly bolt protected but I suspect the bolts need replacing.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 11:22:05 am by shark »

Three Nine

• forum hero
#1 Re: High Tor for hardish Sport
August 31, 2016, 11:23:17 am
I just checked my logbook comments for High Torquing. 'Bouldery and inconveniently located'. Just seemed an awful lot of effort to get to the start, all for 3 moves of climbing or something. Only did it cos Stacked Sam wanted to do Mad Max.

The project next to it with the chipped hold looked quite cool and buouxy tho, and like it wouldn't be all that hard. Surprised nobody's put the effort in.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#2 Re: High Tor for hardish Sport
August 31, 2016, 11:43:22 am
The project next to it with the chipped hold looked quite cool and buouxy tho, and like it wouldn't be all that hard. Surprised nobody's put the effort in.

Looks desperate even with the chipped hold which really should be filled in.   

Wood FT

• forum hero
#3 Re: High Tor for hardish Sport
August 31, 2016, 11:44:30 am
commendable High Tor psyche Simon, thanks

dpb

• addict
#4 Re: High Tor for hardish Sport
August 31, 2016, 11:49:19 am

Wil E Coyote is one of the best routes at its grade in the peak imho. Deserves way more attention than it gets.

Three Nine

• forum hero
#5 Re: High Tor for hardish Sport
August 31, 2016, 11:50:26 am

I don't see why, its a nice chipped hold!

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#6 Re: High Tor for hardish Sport
August 31, 2016, 01:12:49 pm

I don't see why, its a nice chipped hold!

It's certainly not subtle

dpb

• addict
#7 Re: High Tor for hardish Sport
April 11, 2017, 02:20:30 pm
Hi Shark

Going to have a bash at Roadrunner in a few days time, what sort of size cams are needed for the start?  Did you climb it one rope (plan on going to top of crag)?

Many Thanks

Dave

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#8 Re: High Tor for hardish Sport
April 11, 2017, 03:10:26 pm
Hi Shark

Going to have a bash at Roadrunner in a few days time, what sort of size cams are needed for the start?  Did you climb it one rope (plan on going to top of crag)?

Many Thanks

Dave

I have a terrible memory. Bonjoy will remember better. Biggish ones on the easy climbing up to the Wil E Coyote bolt then a medium cam (green camalot rings a bell) just where you stand up to gain the small flake with the bootlace thread. Tricky to place medium nut above the thread if you want to back the peg with the thread up. Also stride left to get your foot on High Torquing flake rather than head up past the peg with the tat on it. Double ropes essential   
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:19:24 pm by shark »

dpb

• addict
#9 Re: High Tor for hardish Sport
April 11, 2017, 03:31:43 pm
Cheers for the info. much appreciated.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#10 Re: High Tor for hardish Sport
April 11, 2017, 04:14:43 pm
Cheers for the info. much appreciated.

No problem. I think I clipped the second bolt on Wil E Coyote too, thinking about it. I recommend going to the top (ie up A6 to finish) rather than ab off. Much more satisfying

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal