UKBouldering.com

Lakes Bouldering this weekend (Read 5449 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
Lakes Bouldering this weekend
August 23, 2016, 09:12:01 pm
Whilst the forecast doesn't look great, I'm hoping to get out for half a day whilst visiting family back home.

Can anyone recommend anywhere that's quick drying and has a decent set of problems around 6c-7a+?

Langdale/Coniston/Kentmere seem to fit the grade bill but I've only climbed at the latter and I imagine it can get quite condensed there with this kind of weather...

Any thoughts would be welcomed. I'll just pop into the cliff on my way back to Leeds if all else fails.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Lakes Bouldering this weekend
August 23, 2016, 09:42:30 pm
Badger rock dries fast (no seepage) as do Langdale boulders.

webbo

• forum hero
#2 Re: Lakes Bouldering this weekend
August 23, 2016, 09:52:10 pm
Parking can be a nightmare on a weekend at Kentmere.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#3 Re: Lakes Bouldering this weekend
August 25, 2016, 07:50:23 am
Cheers both. I've done most of the things I want to on Badger Rock so would want to go to little font which I assume will be worse. Plus the parking situation (now you mention it, I remember it from last time!) means it might not be the best option.

I'll keep an eye on the weather and try to nip to Langdale - fingers crossed.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Lakes Bouldering this weekend
August 25, 2016, 08:02:00 am
Kentmere parking can be OK if you go at the right times.. early in the morning (pre walkers dumping their cars there) and from c.4:30/5pm onwards - when they get back to their cars etc.. You also probably stuill have to get into Stavely from the Western end as the bridges were out on the other side. Always worth some grub and a cuppa at Wilfs while you're passing through :)

Dunno where you're staying, but the S.Lakes lime (woodwell, trowbarrow etc..) is only 20-30 min from Kendal - and often gets better weather...

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
#5 Re: Lakes Bouldering this weekend
August 25, 2016, 11:05:58 am
Bowderstone stays pretty dry even whilst it's actually raining , for a bit at least

James Malloch

• forum hero
#6 Re: Lakes Bouldering this weekend
August 25, 2016, 11:11:08 am
Parents are based just outside ulverston. The limestone could be a good shout, I've been meaning to get over there for a while.

Is wilfs the place that does the cakes (or used to) for Kendal Wall? It rings a bell and they were amazing!

The bowderstone is a little far unfortunately - normally a 2 hour drive from my parents unfortunately.

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Lakes Bouldering this weekend
August 25, 2016, 11:14:04 am
Wilfs is in the industrial estate thingy in Stavely - not sure if they do the cakes for the Kendal wall, but food is decent and its a large well organised (relatively inexpensive) option.. good veg food too...

http://www.wilfs-cafe.co.uk/

36chambers

• forum hero
#8 Re: Lakes Bouldering this weekend
September 22, 2016, 01:40:15 pm
Not sure if it's worth starting a new thread so I thought I'd tag it onto this one.

Heading to the Lakes this weekend with the GF for some sort of anniversary/climbing lark.

Ideally I would have liked to have gone to Lad Stones however we're leaving Skipton on Saturday morning and staying at a silly expensive place hotel in Windemere on Saturday night, and Lad Stones seems like too much of a big day out (if we want to go for a nice meal in the evening and not feel rushed).

Kentmere is the obvious choice, but we were there not too long ago.

How picturesque are the smalldale crags?  I've always wanted to go to Woodwell or Fairy Steps. On this occasion I feel like we should make an effort to go to a scenic spot rather than spend the day under The Shelter Stone (as much as I would love to do that).

The bad weather plan is The Bowderstone ( :2thumbsup: )

Any suggestions?

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#9 Re: Lakes Bouldering this weekend
September 22, 2016, 01:48:55 pm
You mean Silverdale?

Depends on your definition of picturesque. Woodwell and Fairy Steps are in the trees. Trees are pretty. No big views. Zero walk-in for Woodwell, 25 min ish for Fairy Steps.

They're not really in the Lakes though. If you are staying in Windermere, there will be loads of closer crags. But I guess you know that already.

andy_e

• forum hero
#10 Re: Lakes Bouldering this weekend
September 22, 2016, 01:50:57 pm
Crookrise?

36chambers

• forum hero
#11 Re: Lakes Bouldering this weekend
September 22, 2016, 02:02:16 pm
You mean Silverdale?

Depends on your definition of picturesque. Woodwell and Fairy Steps are in the trees. Trees are pretty. No big views. Zero walk-in for Woodwell, 25 min ish for Fairy Steps.

They're not really in the Lakes though. If you are staying in Windermere, there will be loads of closer crags. But I guess you know that already.

sorry yes Silverdale (I wrote my previous post in a rush).

Although it's not in the Lakes, it's on the way, which would mean less driving. We were planning on going climbing before going to Windermere.

36chambers

• forum hero
#12 Re: Lakes Bouldering this weekend
September 22, 2016, 02:03:41 pm

tomtom

• forum hero
#13 Re: Lakes Bouldering this weekend
September 22, 2016, 02:23:13 pm
You mean Silverdale?

sorry yes Silverdale (I wrote my previous post in a rush).

Although it's not in the Lakes, it's on the way, which would mean less driving. We were planning on going climbing before going to Windermere.

If the GF is not into climbing etc.. then Woodwell/Silverdale is very close to the sea...

36chambers

• forum hero
#14 Re: Lakes Bouldering this weekend
September 22, 2016, 02:40:10 pm
If the GF is not into climbing etc.. then Woodwell/Silverdale is very close to the sea...

she is :).

Sorry my original post could been worded much better. We're just looking for a nice place to climb on Saturday in the Lakes (or nearby) that isn't too much of a big day out.

We've already been to Langdale, The Bowderstone and Kentmere, and would like to go somewhere new. Considering going to one of Coniston Crags, but they may be too far to drive and walk to on the day.

tomtom

• forum hero
#15 Re: Lakes Bouldering this weekend
September 22, 2016, 03:41:15 pm
Carrock.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal