UKBouldering.com

The squat (Read 3146 times)

JJP

• addict
The squat
August 05, 2016, 10:33:44 pm
Hi all

Looking for some advice on squat technique and in particular foot width and angle.  Are there set rules or is it variable depending on individual strengths etc?  There seems to be differing advice on internet.  A physio has suggested I try to have the feet relatively close together and front pointing to engage glutes more and protect the lumbar spine.  However, it still feels a bit uncomfortable on the back.  Any suggestions most appreciated.

measles23

• stalker
#1 Re: The squat
August 05, 2016, 11:38:05 pm
IPF and WDFPA have no rules regarding stance width - squat rules focus mainly on depth.  I believe there are a couple of studies (McCaw and Melrose (1999) and Paoli et al. (2009))  actually demonstrating greater glute activation with wide stance, so I'm not sure your physio's right.
With clean technique you shouldn't be feeling it in your back tho - squat's much less stressful on lumbar spine than DL; I'd suggest splashing out on decent belt if you are

Personally I find it difficult and unstable to get deep with a close stance, and I go as wide as the rack lets me, but that's mainly cos I'm using squat to train for sumo DL..

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#2 Re: The squat
August 08, 2016, 09:48:54 am
Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength book has about 50 pages on squat technique if you're really really interested. Google will give you some video links - can't do it for you as I'm at work and we are access denied on You Tube.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3 Re: The squat
August 08, 2016, 12:33:57 pm
Hi,

Feet shoulder width apart, I was told to do a little relaxed jump and the feet land in the right position.

hamsforlegs

• regular
  • Wildcat. Pkow.
#4 Re: The squat
August 08, 2016, 06:12:44 pm
High bar and narrow feet tends to shift things toward the quads - generally feels more natural for the tall.
Low bar and wide feet tends to shift things towards the glutes and hips - generally feels more natural for the short.

Of course there are tons of combinations/variables, and individual experience will vary a lot.

Would second Rocksteady's recommendation of the Rippetoe book if you want to actually understand it. Alternatively, look up Dan John and 'goblet squat' and do some work with dumbbells to get your own personal pattern/technique worked out.

Flexility in the ankles and hips tends to be a major limiting factor at first. Don't force it as you can end up rounding your back and risking injury. Just find a good movement, experiment with different stances, get the squat as low as you can with good form, and keep trying and moving until things get easier. Think of the first few weeks as 'practice' rather than training.

JJP

• addict
#5 Re: The squat
October 06, 2016, 11:14:47 am
Hi all

Thanks for all the advice.  I experimented a bit and trawled you tube.  Found a style/ technique with a slightly wider stance and allowing the feet to point out a little that has made things feel much more comfortable and natural.  Cheers again.

filz

• addict
#6 Re: The squat
October 06, 2016, 03:53:13 pm
+1 for Mark Rippetoe's book. It's really good and explains well the mechanics of the lifts

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Re: The squat
October 20, 2016, 11:43:46 am
Not relevant to OP's question but just watch this beast in action

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal