UKBouldering.com

Lake district campsite needed (Read 3570 times)

stvey1987

• regular
Lake district campsite needed
July 25, 2016, 08:43:12 pm
Hi. I am staring at a google search on campsites in the lakes and then I wondered..p'raps someone on Ukb might be able to lend me some knowledge...

Does anyone have experience of decent campsites in the lakes ? Just a few pre-equisites... 1) doesn't mind small group of males staying (3 of us and we have had issues in the past at certain campsites where they don't like single sex groups) 2) fire's allowed (building fire helps males to bond right?) 3) pub/ village or town with pubs in walking distance (this one not a must like the other two but would be nice).

I'm going away for three nights with some old uni friends for non-climbing lakes based fun so proximity to climbing is not a factor ! Hoping to get some canyoning / bike riding in and maybe a bit of scrambling.

Cheers,

Steve

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Lake district campsite needed
July 25, 2016, 08:51:16 pm
Whereabouts in the Lakes are you heading?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#2 Re: Lake district campsite needed
July 25, 2016, 08:52:19 pm
Coniston Hall was ok. (No open fires, but charcoal BBQs allowed) We had a group of 11 lads on a very civilised stag do, no complaints. 25 min walk to the pubs in the village.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Lake district campsite needed
July 25, 2016, 08:57:27 pm
Chapel style, Langdale..? No fires though (suspect that'll be the same everywhere)

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#4 Lake district campsite needed
July 25, 2016, 09:37:27 pm
Sykeside Campsite is nice, very close to the pub too. Have stopped there before with small group and been ok though probably worth phoning ahead (with any campsite) to check. As others have said, highly unlikely that they'll allow open fires on the ground but a fire in a portable BBQ should be allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stvey1987

• regular
#5 Re: Lake district campsite needed
July 25, 2016, 10:08:42 pm
Whereabouts - I am, in general, willing to go where the campsites are! We will have car so can get about...going anywhere in the lakes takes forever based on a recent trip so whether we are central or not isn't too much of an issue (may regret that statement!)

The comments on fires is a bit surprising...is this something to do with the lakes specifically ? Places we have been to in the past would have specific fire pits or perhaps metal bbq type thing for either bbq'ing or building fires in (I'm thinking in Snowdonia for example, Llyn Gwynant campsite).

Thanks for suggestions so far!

twoshoes

• regular
#6 Re: Lake district campsite needed
July 26, 2016, 07:44:03 am
I don't remember what it's called, but there's a fairly nice site at the top of thirlmere that I'm pretty sure allows fires. No idea about all male groups, but they seem pretty relaxed generally.

Edit -
High bridge end farm. Just up the lane that runs around the lake. NOT the one on the main road.

T_B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Lake district campsite needed
July 26, 2016, 08:08:44 am
Sykeside is definitely a lively enough campsite that has groups etc so they'll be fine with a group of lads. The pub sells v good ale. You can take mates up striding edge on Helvellyn or even the walk up Dovedale to Dove Crag summit is pretty amazing if they're city folk. Or the National Trust campsite in Langdale tends to be lively. I've done the Dungeon Ghyll scramble on a stag do before which was entertaining. Summit Harrison Stickle then swim in the tarn. I'm struggling to think of campsites in the Lakes that allow fires tbh.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Lake district campsite needed
July 26, 2016, 08:32:06 am
If you're wanting mountain biking too, Langdale is good for some rides round Tilberthwaite and the slate quarries, and not too much further to Grizedale for way marked trails and bike hire too. Or if you're taking your own bikes and thinking of Sykeside, the route from there up on to High Street down to Pooley Bridge then back along the bridleway on the east back of Ullswater is a total Lakes classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#9 Re: Lake district campsite needed
July 26, 2016, 09:05:48 am
No beta on sites, but expect to pay a fortune.

T_B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Lake district campsite needed
July 26, 2016, 09:13:43 am
What, compared to the Peak or Yorkshire dales? The most expensive site I've stayed on in the UK is that one in Appletreewick (Masons), which was £30 a night!

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#11 Re: Lake district campsite needed
July 26, 2016, 09:31:07 am
No beta on sites, but expect to pay a fortune.

We were surprised by Coniston - I think we were around £8 each and there was no restriction on number of tents (we had one each), so not Euro prices by any means.

stvey1987

• regular
#12 Re: Lake district campsite needed
July 29, 2016, 06:03:35 pm
Thanks for the replies, I think we are going to give Sykeside a go; looks like it has a lot going for it!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal