UKBouldering.com

Can be fixed by not doing daft things like that for starters. PLEASE APPROVE IT. (Read 5771 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
SAChris: Wasn't able to reply to this - no flouncing just muted.

3 issues going on, related but separate:

1. Mark's avatar, my defence, and the debate surrounding certain words. Pretty sure that one's cleared up.

2. My general thread about aspects of UKB that might put users off. Happened to be started by me, could have been started by anyone. Includes issues with terminology used but not limited to that.

3. My conflict with the moderators. May or may not result in actions which could fall under 2., but not specifically about / related to that.

As regards the latter, events as follows:

1. I post a similar avatar to mark's with the same terminology. We both get a threatening and impersonal warning from UKB Moderating Team. This is different to previous communication I've had from them (e.g. habrich's personal and friendly explanation about why he deleted a sexist post of mine, which I responded to with appreciation).

- if we'd received a message like "Hi guys, I think it's fair enough that those avatars are causing offence and are no longer suitable, please change them as soon as possible, Cheers, habrich/shark/etc" then I'd have been equally respectful in return.

2. I get "Watched" attached to my profile, and mark doesn't, despite the only difference being that my avatar lasted 1 day instead of several years and I've posted a general defence of the avatar.

- if people who commit the same "offence" get treated the same then no-one would feel singled out.

3. I post a spoof avatar, which then gets messed around with and finally I can't access my avatar - ho ho ho very funny etc - but at the same time moderators are still expecting me to have civilised behaviour and obey their anonymous threats. Basically a case of having their cake and eat it.

- if the moderators were taking a consistent stance of EITHER strict moderation including self-moderation of what they do with avatars OR having lax moderation and allowing people to have a bit of fun, then people would know where they stood and go along with that.

4. I post an offensive signature purely in direct response to that - it might be daft but that's WHY I did it - and get muted, because they're in charge they get the final word.

Basically, I obviously did some things that were provocative and therefore "wrong", but equally the moderators did stuff that was wrong, at the very least by being inconsistent in how they treat users and how they expect them to behave. Just because they are in charge doesn't mean they get it right all the time.

(Posted as a separate thread as I can't reply to the main thread)
(This is subject to moderator approval so if it doesn't get through then I've saved it to repost later if possible)
(Edit: Seems like it's not being approved at all. Uhuh.)
(Hmmmm another week. Still waiting.)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 09:19:25 am by Fiend »

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Apologies for having this as a seperate thread, I wanted to clear it up in response to Chris and it was the only way to post it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

galpinos

• forum hero

Fiend, you do realise this an internet forum where people chat shit, not "real life". Does it really matter?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I'm not a moderator and not privy to what if any communications go on between them in the background (I'm sure there is some).

But in writing you seem to be suggesting that there is a ratified code of conduct/policy for moderation of the UKB forums that exists and is not being consistently applied.

I doubt such rules exist, moderators are a small subset of members who voluntarily act as and when they see the need to do so.  I expect some will communicate with each other before undertaking certain actions, whilst other actions are undertaken of an individuals own volition.

It is just a forum where people kill time posting about stuff that interests them.  I wouldn't lose too much sleep over what you perceive its short-comings to be.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee

(Deleted as could get image link to work)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Guessing the weather is getting you down Fiend? Me too.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Can I have an avatar back please? I promise it will be tasteful and charming as usual.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
Fiend, I can imagine it's rather demeaning to have to ask for one back. Having looked through some of the rest of the thread, I'd say I agree with you about the impersonal nature of the communication from @UKB. Also regarding the question of "Does it really matter?", yes it does. Online communities are no different to any others, prey to the usual misrepresentations and intolerances. I think the forum is there - and it's framework - to serve the community that uses it. I'd suggest that it can seem that actions from moderators are delivered with a sense of putting you in your place, with house rules mis-applied really to serve that end, perhaps more than the interests of the community. There's a lot of that about. It happens, and this is my own perception and observations. This isn't supposed to read as a personal judgement on the detail of what has happened, but I feel you are right in trying to express your own concerns as strenuously as you have. I like your non-avatar  ;D

tomtom

• forum hero
Can we have a competition for your avatar? ;)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Lagers you are an awful awful person  >:(

lagerstarfish

• forum hero