UKBouldering.com

Sloper vs wrist (Read 2461 times)

catbreath

Sloper vs wrist
May 29, 2016, 11:57:20 pm
I was climbing indoors this morning on a horrible sloper route, had my hands matched on a big sloper, pulled hard with both hands to reach up with my left, when my left wrist made two or three high-pitched cracks - no pain whatsoever, and sounded like the random cracks you sometimes get during the day, but gave it a rest anyway. Over the next half hour or so it started to hurt, and it's been about the same the rest of the day. Doesn't hurt at all if left alone, no swelling or tenderness, no weakness or any clicks or pops moving my wrists around, but it does hurt like a bit of a bastard across the back of my wrist doing certain movements, mainly arching my hand back with my fingers curled (with my fingers straight doesn't hurt at all). Pushing down on the wrist (like a pushup) doesn't hurt at all, as long as it doesn't bend the wrist back to much. Anyone here had anything similar? Worried its a TFCC thing but hoping it's not.

Boredboy

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Sloper vs wrist
May 30, 2016, 09:18:28 am
Hey cat breath, if there's no pain on resisted extension it's unlikely to be tendon / muscular. Although when you extend the wrist with lengthened - contracted extensor muscles it hurts more. Could be a supportive structure like the extensor retinaculum which is torn. Other problems like triangular fibrocartilage tears or subluxing lunates due to ligaments injuries tend to occur after loading the wrist in extension like a fall on outstretched hand. Worth getting it checked by a professional if you've got pain after an audible crack tho!

catbreath

#2 Re: Sloper vs wrist
June 01, 2016, 10:42:12 am
Hey, thanks for the reply! A couple days later now the pain is very mild and only comes on with quite specific stuff, the main one being gripping sloper-style with my wrist bent but unsupported, like in an arch with my fingers. Going to see a wrist man, also will wait a few more days before I climb again, and will try to avoid slopers, but hoping that if it doesn't hurt to climb then things are ok?

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Sloper vs wrist
June 01, 2016, 01:01:34 pm
sounds like a mild version of this
http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?topic=13544.0
from my experience holding slopers with my wrist bent forward sets it off so I avoid these moves now. Every other type of move seems to be fine so I'd say you should be ok to climb as long as it's on crimps of straight wristed slopers

Also slightly disappointed as I thought this was going to be some new thread on the antics of Sloper

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#4 Re: Sloper vs wrist
June 01, 2016, 04:58:52 pm

Also slightly disappointed as I thought this was going to be some new thread on the antics of Sloper

Yes, I thought he was taking action against someone called Wrist.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal