UKBouldering.com

Many people who don't use UKB because of its culture - why, and how to fix?? (Read 44737 times)

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I agree with Ferret.

Every active forum has a core group that sets the tone. Call it a clique if you like. UKB's clique mostly consists of active, well informed and capable climbers, more so than any other climbing forum I've looked at.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I agree with Ferret.

Every active forum has a core group that sets the tone. Call it a clique if you like. UKB's clique mostly consists of active, well informed and capable climbers, more so than any other climbing forum I've looked at.

Agree with both, although the term clique is probably not appropriate,  group consciousness or hive mind might be better. One thing in common is that just about everyone here is passionate about climbing in some form or another. Just reading power club and the amount of effort some people put in to get better is enough to keep me going.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut

tomtom

• forum hero
:hug: = ferret

That's possible beastiality. I'd check the T&C's if I were you...

TheTwig

• stalker
I'm a somewhat recent face to the forum so I have no idea about the past but generally I don't think the forum is anti-women or anything like that. Like a few other people have said in the earlier replies, when I was in school (I'm 'only' 27 now) it was standard practise to call things/people you didn't like gay, as well as the whole laundry list of anti-gay slurs. Quite rightly I think most people agree this really isn't acceptable, so I must admit I'm still bemused why Mark S' avatar was considered 'okay' by an admitted minority.
The fact that one gay person somewhere isn't offended by the term has absolutely no bearing on on it. You could walk up to any gay person in the world and I'm 99% certain they wouldn't enjoy being called that, so why not have some class and use a 'better' insult?

One of the main things I like about UKB is the sarcasm, irony, verbal fencing and general extremely dry sense of humour that most people have on here. I would hate for that to change. I've had some absolutely brilliant laughs lurking on some of the threads. In conclusion: Long live 'old school' humour, down with the using/defending certain language to appear cool or un-PC (that's the only possible motivation I can assign to that stuff, seriously)... :thumbsup:

a dense loner

• forum hero
Seriously? People think that someone like me, who doesn't think that fag is a bad insult, says that to appear anti-pc and cool? To be fair I could use "well done" to sound like the worst insult you've ever heard. When I hear the word fag I picture a 7 year old boy sat warming a toilet seat for a 15 year old boy at public school. Call me naive which I can assure you I'm not but I actually have no idea how this relates to someone gay and I'm not really sure where the link is?
To be picky your paragraph from "The fact..." Is contradictory so I have no idea what you're trying to say with it?

chris j

• forum abuser
Call me naive which I can assure you I'm not but I actually have no idea how this relates to someone gay and I'm not really sure where the link is?

Apparently for use of faggot and queer we can blame early 20th century American gay men insulting other gay men they considered too effeminate. No-one seems to know why. No link to public school fags or bundles of firewood..

Edit to include source:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2112/how-did-faggot-get-to-mean-male-homosexual

a dense loner

• forum hero
Cheers Chris, that's made my day.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Seriously? People think that someone like me, who doesn't think that fag is a bad insult, says that to appear anti-pc and cool? To be fair I could use "well done" to sound like the worst insult you've ever heard. When I hear the word fag I picture a 7 year old boy sat warming a toilet seat for a 15 year old boy at public school. Call me naive which I can assure you I'm not but I actually have no idea how this relates to someone gay and I'm not really sure where the link is?

I didn't go to a public school, but even at the state grammar school I went to in the 70s it was common to call the younger kids "fags". I'd more or less forgotten about it. Nothing to do with insulting homosexuals - "bum chum" iirc was the charming term for that.

Boredboy

• menacing presence
 What a joke, defending using homophobic language by pretending it means something else or stating that the people it insults use the terms also (this happens with racism to) I'm not bothered what you guys want to write, but Dense's posts are utter shite. We all know what Mark's avatar means and if the forum allows it then that's his prerogative if he wants to come across like that. The defence of it sounds like Nick Griffin or some similar twat trying justify their prejudices.

a dense loner

• forum hero
You're not going to post again are you boredboy?

Boredboy

• menacing presence
Ok so that might have been harsh. Sorry dude. It just seems weird to me that you guys are defending it like it's ok. Signing off again.......

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Who do you imagine is defending what?

The fact that "fag" used to have an entirely different meaning in English, and that the meaning in Mark's avatar is a newfangled Americanism, has nothing to do with whether one finds the usage of the newfangled American meaning offensive. Which as it happens I do, mildly.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
Wow. Who'd have thought a post about what's wrong with the culture of this community could be so clearly highlighted within the thread itself. It's all so aggressive/defensive. If people are serious about wanting new input and members in UKB then they need to consider how they'd have these conversations in a face to face situation and change the ferocity of their dialogue. No one ever comes around to your way of thinking by being mean and dismissive of others. It just makes people upset (see karma grading thread) and have a lower opinion of (yet?) another member of the community.

Cliques are bullshit BTW. This isn't some U.S. teen drama. They're perceived in this way as far as I can see. There's a bunch of people who aren't confident enough to feel at ease in a community, and another bunch who are at ease and don't notice that those people feel that way.

ferret

• forum abuser
Faggot was a bunch of sticks used for burning which split into a bunch of meanings.
Fag, slang for cigarette (also as dense mentioned, a junior who does certain duties for a senior)
Faggot, contemptuous term for an old or worthless woman, as in something that has to be carried. This then became a term for homosexuals in America in the early 1900's, presumably as a reference to their effeminate nature. Another theory being that homosexuals were burnt in some circumstances.
Never a word I've ever used much, though fag was always my go to word for cigarette.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
I remember arriving (on a Frigate) in New York ~'89, going ashore with a few mates, including a young Cockney lad on his first foreign. Hopping in a Cab at the dock gate, the Cabbie was chain smoking and the lad leaned forward, tapped him on the shoulder and said "Can I bum a Fag mate?"

We had to walk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth

I really can't be bothered with sifting through forums where things like the following are the norm: http://www.mountainproject.com/v/do-essential-oils-damage-climbing-ropes/111876424

Thanks, I enjoyed reading that thread.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Faggot was a bunch of sticks used for burning which split into a bunch of meanings.
Fag, slang for cigarette (also as dense mentioned, a junior who does certain duties for a senior)
Faggot, contemptuous term for an old or worthless woman, as in something that has to be carried. This then became a term for homosexuals in America in the early 1900's, presumably as a reference to their effeminate nature. Another theory being that homosexuals were burnt in some circumstances.
Never a word I've ever used much, though fag was always my go to word for cigarette.

Plus

JamieG

• forum hero
Maybe we need a pariah. Someone to take the blame and punterings for everyone elses bad behaviour. We've had a few over the years, but none recently. Hands up anyone?

SA Chris

• forum hero
Maybe we need a pariah. Someone to take the blame and punterings for everyone elses bad behaviour. We've had a few over the years, but none recently. I'll put my Hand up

Well volunteered.

JamieG

• forum hero
Maybe we need a pariah. Someone to take the blame and punterings for everyone elses bad behaviour. We've had a few over the years, but none recently. I'll put my Hand up

Well volunteered.

Tenses stomach. "Hit me!"

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Fiend, sort your fucking signature out. I'm trying to look at UKB on my lunch break and my colleagues aren't going to appreciate me having "cunt" splashed in massive letters all over my screen.

36chambers

• forum hero
Fiend, sort your fucking signature out. I'm trying to look at UKB on my lunch break and my colleagues aren't going to appreciate me having "cunt" splashed in massive letters all over my screen.

+1, although I suspect that's the whole point.

Fiend, stop being such a wiener.                             

:hug:

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
I can honestly say that I've made some of my best friends through this site over the past decade or so. I've had trips to Italy, Switzerland, parties across the UK, advice, received free stuff, given free stuff, invitations, the list goes on. I'm certain that without it, life would have been a lot duller.

I tend not to find time to read through too many topics at the moment and have been on a climbing hiatus over the last 14 months. Despite this, I've always come to the site for advice and discussion about other life interests I have and I know that I can dip back in to climbing and 'the scenes' whenever I might like. I'd even get some good advice about coming back to it (as tends to be a popular thread subject) if I wanted it through use of UKB.

The moderation/abuse/inappropriate content theme seems to be almost a separate subject in some ways and on a personal level, I'll continue to uphold a tolerant and welcoming disposition to all those that I meet here or outside of the forum. I'm all for riffing and expect to get what I might like to give - vinegar in flapper wounds excepted. It's a good way to be in life generally I think and it's definitely a good demeanor to have if you embrace the culture of UKB (manifesto anybody?).

As for the clique debate; I thought Dave's pub analogy was the best. You really do get out of life what you put into it and if you neck your half pint and leave in fear, you'll have missed a lot of opportunities. One love.

petejh

• forum hero
I'm against any move to force Fiend to come across as any less of a childish cunt, if that's what he wants to do. ;)
 And I'm defo against gentrifying ukb on the grounds that office workers might risk social embarassment in front of their office colleagues (who have nothing to do with ukb/climbing) by seein a rude word on their office computer. Read it on your phone at work if bad language is a potential problem for you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal