UKBouldering.com

Optimum macros for climbing / cutting (Read 15224 times)

Three Nine

• forum hero
huh how odd. I still think the CAC thing is pathetic, but i do try and avoid upsetting Ian too much by use of 'gay' as a synonym for 'shit' because he is a sensitive soul. This thread should prob be closed down now.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
I think it's treated the original question with due concern and attention to detail...

Both of my CAC t-shirts are in the wash so I am posting naked, apart from compression stockings of course.

Three Nine

• forum hero
ah man now i'm going to have nightmares/confused guilt-ridden wet dreams

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
I think it's treated the original question with due concern and attention to detail...

Both of my CAC t-shirts are in the wash so I am posting naked, apart from compression stockings of course.

What, no Girdle?

Ewww!

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
Coops for what it's worth your COD poster example is not comparable
I was just using it to make the point that 'the prevalence or antiquity of a practice is not much of justification for its perpetuation', as 3-9 so eloquently put it - not meaning to directly compare it.

Finding a gay person who is ok with it with it is also not an argument. I know a lot of people who would be really angry about it. That picture is unambiguously using the word 'faggots' to be equivalent to 'people to be looked down upon' - and that's not an association I personally would want to make.

If you don't think linguistic associations are important - look up both 'faggot' and 'n**ger', they are both primarily described as 'pejorative', which is kind of the point. Would you say one is more acceptable than the other? Why? Not that long ago 'n**ger' was used widely.

I'm actually interested in responses to this, rather than just trying to be supremely uncool.

a dense loner

• forum hero
It wasn't an argument for it, more an observation of one persons opinion. Who happens to be gay. It appears you're obviously on some kind of moral crusade tho scoring points from the cheap seats, good stuff keep it up. As it were

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
Wow that was condescending!  :clap2:  :wall:

a dense loner

• forum hero
I know

TheTwig

• stalker
Amazed that this even an issue...(thread split?). I have no idea how using a word like faggot is any more acceptable than all the other words that have been consigned to the dustbin.

andy popp

• forum hero
Amazed that this even an issue...(thread split?). I have no idea how using a word like faggot is any more acceptable than all the other words that have been consigned to the dustbin.

+1. Saying a word is no worse than "bitches" is hardly a winning argument.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I, for one, am looking forward to the tit for tat bad taste avatar war

tomtom

• forum hero

It's why James Cameron has taken so long to make the sequel.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre

Says the fella who thrusts tasty French Patisseries into my diet saddened face, every time he posts...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"

Lund

• obsessive maniac
I think many of you are guilty of thinking that just because you don't find something offensive, that it is not offensive.

Frequently on this forum, people (probably including me) are guilty of not seeing things from anyone else's perspective.  Does the fact that the prevailing wisdom allows the user base to have such avatars mean that the forum is not inclusive and open enough to the kind of people - who could otherwise contribute - who would be offended?  Of course it does.

I give you DFBWGC as another example.

In my opinion, Mark's avatar is offensive.  If he chooses not to change it - that in this case is his right.  Personally I think that the owners of the site would be wise to update their fair use guidelines to not allow it and ask Mark to change it.  I also happen to think that the avatar says plenty about it's owner.  In your case too Fiend.

:shrug:

Doylo

• forum hero
Bring back DFBWGC

a dense loner

• forum hero
Do you think gay people don't use Ukb because they're offended by an avatar? Stop talking bollocks

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
 :agree: (with Doylo of course).

I think know cos it's bloody obvious that some of you are guilty of thinking that just because a sub-set of the population who haven't seen the issue and haven't piped up *may* get offended that you need to get morally outraged on their behalf and stand up for them with the added bonus of scoring PC brownie points. All we need now is andy_e's holier than thou attitude too.

And then the one person queried in that subset so far describes it as "piss funny". A bit like when I showed an actual female the anti-DFBQGC hysteria and she thought those who were offended by it were a bunch of dickheads.

Anyway Lund, what do you actually think my sadly-replaced under strict UKB MODERATION TEAM threat avatar says about me?? Rampantly homophobic? Denegrator of gay rights? Keen to use potentially offensive terms to gay people as much as possible?? Really? Anything else?

Also I presume that mark also can't "choose" whether to change it or not.

Lund

• obsessive maniac
Do you think gay people don't use Ukb because they're offended by an avatar? Stop talking bollocks

Don't be such a simpleton.

I know many people who don't use UKB because of it's culture - and permissiveness of the word "faggot" in an avator is simply a demonstration of that culture.

Three Nine

• forum hero
Moderators - please can I have karma back so I can wad Fiend for his super avatars?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
I know many people who don't use UKB because of it's culture - and permissiveness of the word "faggot" in an avator is simply a demonstration of that culture.

Interesting - the general culture thing not the word thing. Feel free to list (anonymously) the people you know who don't use it and what aspects of the culture they object to, e.g.

D.H. - refuses to visit since DFBWGC was ever allowed to exist.
M.C. - put off by too many Sheffield people.
J.T. - put off by too many smileys.
T.R. - tried to visit but prolonged vomitting fit in response to mark s's avatar.

etc etc. Genuinely interested in the problems with UKB culture. I've had a couple of people thinking it's "too cliquey" and I've assured them that it IS cliquey but it's generally a smart, well-informed, and welcoming clique, as long as you're psyched and contribute sensibly (with SOME EXCEPTIONS obviously) and/or entertainingly.

Edit: Shark is back, I'm doomed.

galpinos

• forum hero
ale the anti-DFBQGC hysteria and she thought those who were offended by it were a bunch of dickheads.

Anyway Lund, what do you actually think my sadly-replaced under strict UKB MODERATION TEAM threat avatar says about me?? Rampantly homophobic? Denegrator of gay rights? Keen to use potentially offensive terms to gay people as much as possible?? Really? Anything else?

You can come across as a bit of a dick?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
When Mark eventually changes his avatar to a picture of a bundle of firewood doing crossfit, none of this is going to make any sense at all.

P.S The thread needs splitting. I didn't pick up on it till now because I'd assumed it was a boring training thread.

ducko

• forum abuser
It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what. - Stephen fry

fried

• forum hero
Hasn't Mark S been using this avatar for about 10 years....?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal