UKBouldering.com

travelling training (Read 3457 times)

tbunbury

travelling training
April 21, 2016, 08:30:57 am
Let me start by explaining my situation. Im from squamish area currently travelling around europe. Not a climbing trip just a little bit of site seeing being a tourist that sorta thing. When i get home climbing season will already be in full swing. I was hoping for some ideas for a program i could do to maintain/gain strength in hostels on couches etc.
Cheers

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: travelling training
April 21, 2016, 09:05:03 am
You got shoes? Be a climbing gym in almost every major city in Europe? Will make a change from getting drunk in youth hostels! :)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#2 Re: travelling training
April 21, 2016, 09:21:07 am
what Chris said

it'd be a good way to meet people and get a bit of local knowledge

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: travelling training
April 21, 2016, 10:47:36 am
Indeed - I'm in Vienna with work this week - and bunking off to the local wall in a couple of hours...

JohnM

• junky
#4 Re: travelling training
April 21, 2016, 11:24:33 am
If you are travelling on a budget I wouldn't recommended going to many different climbing walls in different cities.  You usually have to pay a joining fee and then a single climb is usually not that cheap.  The total cost would probably not be insignificant.

Indeed - I'm in Vienna with work this week - and bunking off to the local wall in a couple of hours...

EGU?  The climbing wall I went to in Vienna was expensive and crap.  There was no ventilation in there and all the holds were polished and slimy.  Oh and chalk was banned!

BicepsMou

• regular
#5 Re: travelling training
April 21, 2016, 11:51:33 am
  You usually have to pay a joining fee and then a single climb is usually not that cheap. 

Have not come accross a gym in France or Germany yet that asks for joining fees...
However, the point about single entries being more expensive is certainly a very valid one (usually around 10-12,- Euros). But the current exchange rate from US$ is working for you  ;D

Otherwise, a simple portable hangboard might do the job. And door frames as always as a last resort  ;)

dunnyg

• forum hero
#6 Re: travelling training
April 21, 2016, 12:55:16 pm
Is there any (outdoor) climbing around Vienna? Worth knowing for future EGU trips....

Muesli

• addict

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: travelling training
April 21, 2016, 03:15:53 pm

If you are travelling on a budget I wouldn't recommended going to many different climbing walls in different cities.  You usually have to pay a joining fee and then a single climb is usually not that cheap.  The total cost would probably not be insignificant.

EGU?  The climbing wall I went to in Vienna was expensive and crap.  There was no ventilation in there and all the holds were polished and slimy.  Oh and chalk was banned!

Yes EGU. The wall you describe is odd... Instead head to the BoulderBar

http://www.boulderbar.net

Just to the north of the centre. Good bouldering Wall (80% size of works - ish) pretty well set. Great vibe and no membership iirc. I decided not to go today - went and had a nap instead ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: travelling training
April 21, 2016, 03:19:38 pm

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#10 Re: travelling training
April 21, 2016, 05:55:28 pm

I had the same experience! I hated that wall.

Kletterhalle Wien is much better, but a bit further out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal