UKBouldering.com

Bike recommendations please (Read 5483 times)

steveyo

#25 Re: Bike recommendations please
October 09, 2021, 07:00:12 pm
I've  always thought that with planet x/on one you're not paying for customer service, and that is reflected in the price(!).  But that certainly doesn't mean they can sell a duff item and not be interested in rectifying the situation.

Are you after a straight refund or have you knackered something else and want them to replace that too?

Since they ditched the warehouse sales I've tended to buy far less from them.

Paul B

• forum hero
#26 Re: Bike recommendations please
October 09, 2021, 07:08:30 pm
Yeah quite, I'm kicking myself for not just spending the money on a Park Tools wrench.

I've knackered a part which hasn't been available since the issue putting the bike firmly off the road.

steveyo

#27 Re: Bike recommendations please
October 09, 2021, 07:19:58 pm
Can you give a bit more info, like what you've knackered on what bike?  Only I'm curious as to why it isn't fix or replaceable.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#28 Re: Bike recommendations please
October 09, 2021, 08:09:31 pm
Yeah quite, I'm kicking myself for not just spending the money on a Park Tools wrench.

Pretty sure every time I buy a new tool I end up regretting not spending the extra on the Park.

Paul B

• forum hero
#29 Re: Bike recommendations please
October 09, 2021, 08:15:01 pm
Indeed and it was being used on a pricey bike (I treated myself after finally bothering to get chartered). WTF was I thinking springs to mind?

Scouse D

• forum hero
#30 Re: Bike recommendations please
October 09, 2021, 09:12:38 pm
I've got loads of spare bits and bobs for planet x in my garage. I might have the replacement part

Paul B

• forum hero
#31 Re: Bike recommendations please
October 09, 2021, 09:15:57 pm
I've got loads of spare bits and bobs for planet x in my garage. I might have the replacement part

Thanks Scouse it's a proprietary Cannondale part and it's been so scarce that I found one in Mallorca (I got back on Sunday) and they wouldn't sell it to me as their hire stock was Cannondale!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#32 Re: Bike recommendations please
October 10, 2021, 11:04:42 am
I've  always thought that with planet x/on one you're not paying for customer service, and that is reflected in the price(!).  But that certainly doesn't mean they can sell a duff item and not be interested in rectifying the situation.

Are you after a straight refund or have you knackered something else and want them to replace that too?

Since they ditched the warehouse sales I've tended to buy far less from them.

Most disappointing, issues like this would certainly dissuade me from buying from them,  however I wonder if its still worth buying their bikes as they're such good value,  and writing off any after sales service in favour of using a proper bike shop. I've heard that is pretty much what you have to do if you but a boardman from Halfords.

Paul B

• forum hero
#33 Re: Bike recommendations please
October 10, 2021, 11:29:35 am
Not a great plan if the issue is potentially with a/the carbon frameset but I guess that's down to your own comfort with risk vs expenditure.

I always find it amusing to see the odd Halfords bike with the forks incorrectly fitted!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#34 Re: Bike recommendations please
October 10, 2021, 11:18:54 pm
Not a great plan if the issue is potentially with a/the carbon frameset but I guess that's down to your own comfort with risk vs expenditure.

I always find it amusing to see the odd Halfords bike with the forks incorrectly fitted!

Indeed.  I've had a pro carbon for 4 years and I'm still happy with it,  and haven't had any problems,  but I can see your point.  If / when I can afford to get a gravel bike I'd be pretty tempted by the free ranger. 

Re Halfords, their bikes are supposed to be excellent but I've seen it advised to buy them and then rebuild it yourself or take it to a proper bike shop for them to rebuild it. I daresay some of the Halfords staff do know what they are doing,  but it seems some definitely don't.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal