UKBouldering.com

EU Referendum (Read 504580 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1025 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 12:59:47 pm
Lady McGove!
Lady Lucrezia McGove, surely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rich d

• forum hero
#1026 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 01:44:18 pm
Lady McGove!

Boris out, has to be good news..
Never heard of Stephen Crabb, before. Grew up in a one parent family, didn't go to Eton, went to a comprehensive school, worked as a laborer to put himself through uni - was sounding quite promising until - worked as an intern for "Gay cure" organisation FFS what a tool.

benno

• menacing presence
#1027 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 01:48:43 pm
He's a high-ranking Tory, what did you expect?  :lol:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1028 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 01:50:21 pm
Don't usually have much time fir this lady, but concede her point here...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1029 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 01:52:01 pm
I feel for the civil servants keeping the wheels turning whilst all this madness plays out.  I can't remember anything quite like it. 

i.munro

• junky
#1030 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 01:53:17 pm

In other news (that will probably go under the radar today) at the launch of the findings of the antisemitism Labour Party review, JC has pretty much likened Israel to ISIS "Our Jewish friends are no more responsible for the actions of Israel or the Netanyahu government than our Muslim friends are for those of self-styled Islamic states or organisations"...

That seems a bizarre leap.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1031 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 02:08:03 pm
They forgot to mention "incompetent twat", though.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/education/2015/10/michael-gove-polite-assassin

creedence

• regular
#1032 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 03:30:25 pm
http://www.centreforwelfarereform.org/news/uk-in-breachhuman-rights/00287.html

But it was all the EU and immigrants' fault, so at least the Tories are in sole charge now...   :'(

Teaboy

• forum hero
#1033 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 03:38:02 pm
JC has pretty much likened Israel to ISIS ...

He hasn't, unless you really want to twist the meaning. I'm no fan of JC (either of them, the King of the Jews and the supposed hater of them)

tomtom

• forum hero
#1034 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 04:17:19 pm

He hasn't, unless you really want to twist the meaning. I'm no fan of JC (either of them, the King of the Jews and the supposed hater of them)

You are right - literally he has not compared them. But by mentioning them both in the same metaphor ~ its a bloody obvious link the press (and subsequently several prominent Jewish politicians) have made.

I winced when I heard it (and re-read it) - its a really really stupid thing to say in (a) public (b) when there are TV cameras there (c) when your job is on the line and most importantly (d) when you are launching a report into antisemitism in the Labour party. You've to admit its not the safest thing to say is it.... Possibly at a time when its not sensible to draw attention (or controversy) to himself...?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1035 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 04:23:26 pm

You are right - literally he has not compared them. But by mentioning them both in the same metaphor ~ its a bloody obvious link the press (and subsequently several prominent Jewish politicians) have made.

I winced when I heard it (and re-read it) - its a really really stupid thing to say in (a) public (b) when there are TV cameras there (c) when your job is on the line and most importantly (d) when you are launching a report into antisemitism in the Labour party. You've to admit its not the safest thing to say is it.... Possibly at a time when its not sensible to draw attention (or controversy) to himself...?
Yes, it doesn't make him anti semitic, it's just more proof that he's crap at his job.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1036 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 04:25:27 pm
Lady McGove!

Never heard of Stephen Crabb, before. Grew up in a one parent family, didn't go to Eton, went to a comprehensive school, worked as a laborer to put himself through uni - was sounding quite promising until - worked as an intern for "Gay cure" organisation FFS what a tool.
Crabb is a horrible weasly cunt. Can't stand him.

dave

#1037 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 04:28:01 pm
On the other hand the treatment of Palestinians by the Israeli government is widely acknowledged not to be humanity's finest hour is it? He makes a fair point, ok he could have gone down the line of "similarly you can't blame all musicians for Nickelback" but fuck it.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1038 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 04:32:46 pm
It might have been instigated by it, but the contention of political parties leadership is  :offtopic: and deserves two new threads (one for each).

seankenny

• forum hero
#1039 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 04:34:19 pm
Surely "self-styled Islamic states" is dog whistle stuff. Tho apparently his aides are briefing that it did indeed mean the likes of AQ but it's all so vague and febrile at the moment no one knows.

More depressingly, it appears that a Corbyn supporter heckled a Jewish MP with an "antisemitic slur". Corbyn did nothing, she left in tears:

http://www.ruthsmeeth.org.uk/statement_on_the_launch_of_the_chakrabarti_report

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1040 EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 04:36:09 pm
Lady McGove!

Crabb is a horrible weasly cunt. Can't stand him.

Oh come on Jasper!

He's not as nice as that.

http://newsthump.com/2016/06/30/satirists-cant-fcking-type-quick-enough/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 04:42:04 pm by Oldmanmatt »

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1041 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 04:45:35 pm
I have yet to fact check but...

My morning giggle.

Checked.

http://gu.com/p/4n4y4/sfb

Can't we have that guy as PM instead?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1042 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 04:55:24 pm
Regardless of a previous disagreements between us on this thread, or whether So-and-so climbed x or not; can we all enjoy and share this moment in history?

A new word is born:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=A%20Boris&defid=9948103#.V3UVxxZ1Z8w.twitter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1043 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 05:16:22 pm
Surely "self-styled Islamic states" is dog whistle stuff. Tho apparently his aides are briefing that it did indeed mean the likes of AQ but it's all so vague and febrile at the moment no one knows.

More depressingly, it appears that a Corbyn supporter heckled a Jewish MP with an "antisemitic slur". Corbyn did nothing, she left in tears:

http://www.ruthsmeeth.org.uk/statement_on_the_launch_of_the_chakrabarti_report

That stinks of smearing as part of the orchestrated, failed, coup. http://www.thecanary.co/2016/06/28/truth-behind-labour-coup-really-began-manufactured-exclusive/

tomtom

• forum hero
#1044 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 05:30:30 pm
Come on Fultonius - isn't that getting into the tin hat brigade? So do you think the MP went along to be deliberately insulted to give JC some bad press?

Who on his team sanctioned that speech? It's in the thick of it stuff...

Nigel

• forum hero
#1045 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 06:09:42 pm
Come on Fultonius - isn't that getting into the tin hat brigade? So do you think the MP went along to be deliberately insulted to give JC some bad press?

Probably not, but it would hardly be surprising if she did would it?

tomtom

• forum hero
#1046 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 06:21:15 pm

Probably not, but it would hardly be surprising if she did would it?

Thats a pretty sad assessment of what people may think of MP's. Nigel - thats not angled at you - its meant that if peoples first thoughts are that politicians (whatever party) are that Machiavellian then something is wrong.

I bet some are (looking at you Boris in particular - and Dave of course..) but of the 5 MP's I've met (which have involved 1 hour 1-1 interviews - 3 red, 2 blue, two former senior cabinet ministers) I'd say they were all pretty normal people. Doing the political equivalent of a footballer tripping themselves up and writhing around in the area to get a penalty is not the type of behaviour I would expect. Its a tough job - and a regular MP has to spend a lot of their time talking to constituents, raising their concerns, dealing with lots of little bits and bobs - grunt work I guess you could call it. This means they have to be a pretty decent/regular person in the first place otherwise they don't last long with their electorate.

So I think that would be very surprising yes.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#1047 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 06:28:24 pm
Are we to believe she's so thin-skinned she runs out in tears after being accused of colluding with right wing media? It's desperate stuff.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1048 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 06:49:18 pm

Who on his team sanctioned that speech? It's in the thick of it stuff...

I'm checking for the tin foil hat. It might be there....can't quite tell.  :unsure:

I watched the video and I'm not quite sure what the anti-Semitic slur was. Apparently the guy didn't even know she was Jewish.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1049 Re: EU Referendum
June 30, 2016, 06:57:43 pm
Apparently the guy didn't even know she was Jewish.

Which makes things alright?

Are we to believe she's so thin-skinned she runs out in tears after being accused of colluding with right wing media? It's desperate stuff.

Or someone who's quite upset...

I really don't buy this whole 'Blairite conspiracy' argument - a lot of the rhetoric largely coming (it would appear) from Momentum I find very aggressive, playing on paranoia and a big turn off. All of which seems to contradict the new form of politics I thought JC was trying to introduce. Its all a bit Animal Farm :(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal