UKBouldering.com

Gimme Some Skin (Read 19297 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#25 Re: Gimme Some Skin
February 22, 2016, 08:28:39 pm
I mean splits at the top of where the skin meets the nail? How do you cut this off?

Sharp teeth ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#26 Re: Gimme Some Skin
February 22, 2016, 09:05:52 pm
I mean splits at the top of where the skin meets the nail? How do you cut this off?

Cuticle cutters

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#27 Re: Gimme Some Skin
February 22, 2016, 09:12:40 pm
Toby please please can I swap my skin for yours???

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#28 Re: Gimme Some Skin
February 22, 2016, 10:34:38 pm
Dave, re the Elizabeth Arden confusion - I made the same mistake.  The tubes are identical except that the "good pink stuff" (rated by aficionados to cure everything from sunburn to chapped lips to eczema) has a pink cap.  And, it is very good indeed for restoring chalk afflicted skin (too greasy for daytime use though). 

The stuff with a white cap is just a pretty ordinary moisturizer - not really any better than Palmers cocoa butter, Nutragena etc.   

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#29 Re: Gimme Some Skin
February 22, 2016, 10:56:51 pm
Toby please please can I swap my skin for yours???

That comes across as a bit Hannibal Lecteur. Fava beans and a nice Cianti with your skin?!

dave

#30 Re: Gimme Some Skin
February 22, 2016, 10:58:25 pm
What amazes me is this stuff has been mentioned on here umpteen times over the years but it's not until this motherfucker gets any does anycunt think to mention the fact that there's actually two almost identically packaged products, only one of which is the good stuff. Are you guys the crew?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#31 Re: Gimme Some Skin
February 22, 2016, 11:30:38 pm
Yup, that's the ersatz shit stuff. That kind of covert rebranding is annoyingly common with the big cosmetics  companies. I've had lots of grief trying to buy my perfume obsessed mum presents for similar reasons. Cheap reformulations passed off as the original - with both available in near identical packaging  (classic perfume recipes are often revised with less expensive ingredients but the original remains as an "under the counter" version to appease the oldskool fans).

tomtom

• forum hero
#32 Re: Gimme Some Skin
February 23, 2016, 07:01:57 am
What amazes me is this stuff has been mentioned on here umpteen times over the years but it's not until this motherfucker gets any does anycunt think to mention the fact that there's actually two almost identically packaged products, only one of which is the good stuff. Are you guys the crew?

Before the RTFM crew show up: http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,26207.0.html

36chambers

• forum hero
#33 Re: Gimme Some Skin
February 23, 2016, 07:38:33 am

Before the RTFM crew show up: http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,26207.0.html

and also here http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?topic=25630.25

:ang:

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#34 Re: Gimme Some Skin
February 23, 2016, 01:22:12 pm

Precisely the thread I read before dispatching the wife to the shops
 :read:

T_B

• forum hero
#36 Re: Gimme Some Skin
February 23, 2016, 05:00:57 pm
That's funny. My mother-in-law just brought me some of that from the States. It's not very nice IMO.

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
#37 Re: Gimme Some Skin
February 23, 2016, 05:08:59 pm
The Original 8hr stuff is the bollocks, but any moisturiser that is based on lanolin seems to have the same effect. Nipple cream from Boots, or big pots of pure lanolin can be got a lot cheaper - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Now-Foods-7725-Solutions-Lanolin/dp/B000I1OYNK

All of these are dead greasy though and take a while to soak in, so best applied in the evening.
I've got a pot of Lush Dream Cream in the car for immediately after climbing, which soaks in quickly, and the pot lasts for about 600 years.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#38 Re: Gimme Some Skin
February 23, 2016, 05:32:39 pm
I have found this stuff to be okay too - urea and lanolin:

http://udderlysmooth.co.uk/product/extra-care-unscented-moisturising-cream-urea/

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#39 Re: Gimme Some Skin
February 23, 2016, 06:32:04 pm

Precisely the thread I read before dispatching the wife to the shops
 :read:
You da man. Get ya coat luv. I'm off to the pub to see a man about a...moisturiser; and I'm turning off the hearing whist I'm out! :furious:

Denbob99

• addict
#40 Re: Gimme Some Skin
February 25, 2016, 12:47:53 pm
The Original 8hr stuff is the bollocks, but any moisturiser that is based on lanolin seems to have the same effect. Nipple cream from Boots, or big pots of pure lanolin can be got a lot cheaper - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Now-Foods-7725-Solutions-Lanolin/dp/B000I1OYNK

All of these are dead greasy though and take a while to soak in, so best applied in the evening.
I've got a pot of Lush Dream Cream in the car for immediately after climbing, which soaks in quickly, and the pot lasts for about 600 years.

I've got a huge tub of Bag Balm, lanolin based and cost about a tenner. It's super greasy so not a day time cream but certainly does the job at a good price.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#41 Re: Gimme Some Skin
March 04, 2016, 03:16:07 pm
Too good an oportunity to miss so here's 8B Crouchy doing the washing up with his extra strong horse arse proof gloves...

DDDD

• regular
#42 Re: Gimme Some Skin
March 04, 2016, 04:35:23 pm
When I'm in France I get a supply of moisturiser from Carrefour - about 4 Euros or so for 500ml. It sinks in really easily and has helped with painful cracked skin during extended trips.

Paul B

• forum hero
#43 Re: Gimme Some Skin
March 29, 2016, 04:32:26 pm
That's funny. My mother-in-law just brought me some of that from the States. It's not very nice IMO.

Well I ignored you and bought some anyway (whilst at the same time purchasing sealant remover, meths, white spirit, liquid sander and some new silicone sealant). All of the listed products have now been on my hands (in no particular order) and my skin is now VERY dry and showing obvious creases.

I obviously can't attest to how effective the O'Keefes stuff is but it's not offensive in any way (odourless) and absorbs into my skin (unlike a lot of climber balms).

Three Nine

• forum hero
#44 Re: Gimme Some Skin
March 29, 2016, 05:41:08 pm
May or may not be relevant Tobes, but are you getting enough fat in your diet? Its worth noting that people with, err, non-straightforward relationships to food, often have skin problems. i know fuck all about dermatology, but you could try fiddling with macro ratios a bit?

thekettle

• menacing presence
    • johnkettle.com
#45 Re: Gimme Some Skin
March 29, 2016, 10:47:27 pm
Apologies if this has had a mention already but Snowfire has been my top skin-fixer this winter, during multiple tussles with Eskdale Granite slopers:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snowfire-2163343-18g-Ointment-Stick/dp/B001RYOOPA
So strong it's kept under the counter in Boots, proper old school stuff. Portable, not very greasy, invented before bouldering.

galpinos

• forum hero
#46 Re: Gimme Some Skin
March 30, 2016, 11:42:08 am
and absorbs into my skin (unlike a lot of climber balms).

I know this is pedantic but it's not absorbed into the skin.

Moisturisers work by keeping moisture in the skins and proventing it evaporating, this is why "greasy" moisturisers actually work the best, but are obviously most suited to an evening/bedtime application.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#47 Re: Gimme Some Skin
March 30, 2016, 11:45:34 am
Yeah, always good to get something greasy on your palm before bed.

Paul B

• forum hero
#48 Re: Gimme Some Skin
March 30, 2016, 04:14:53 pm
I know this is pedantic but it's not absorbed into the skin.

Good knowledge.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#49 Re: Gimme Some Skin
April 01, 2016, 03:14:46 pm
So I'm looking at the picture of the Crouch with his horse anus gloves on and apart from finding it fairly homoerotic or is that equinerotic, I'm thinking that if I was to wear such gloves, or even normal marigolds, I would end up with my hands so sweaty inside them, it would actually be just as wet as doing the dishes with them off. Is that right?? Doesn't seem right. Maybe I should get a dishwasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal