UKBouldering.com

Why do Euros shit on approach paths / next to crags?? (Read 14186 times)

dave k

• obsessive maniac
Can't say I have ever come across a turd near a main path or below a route at a Spanish crag. Plenty of dog turds discarded in bags on the side of the path up to Roaches though.

Most people who relieve themselves near boulders probably are non climbers who think they are acting responsibly.

HaeMeS

• menacing presence
In Siurana right now. On the ledge next to Escarmarla someone left a turd  at  the belay. Must have been a climber. Yesterday a spanish  climber urinated at L'Olla next to the start of the route he climbed. Idiots.

petejh

• forum hero
Definitely cultural differences in attitudes to shit. I remember Toby of this locale telling me about Spanish xmas decoration/traditional character 'La Caganer' - literally a christmas log. Something to do with expelling foulness/celebrating rebirth/from the soil - seriously!

And the Spanish saying before a meal, that goes something along the lines of 'eat, drink and shit well'.

La Caganer. Traditional christmas 'thing' haha

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
It might be us who are the weird ones. My brother lives in Singapore and he recently told me of his (and others') shock to see tourists from mainland China drop their trousers in the middle of the street (this is a large world city, think of this happening in London) and do a shit in the middle of the pavement. One lady held her baby over a bin in a shopping mall whilst is curled a log into it.

I was shocked to hear this coming from a cosmopolitan sort of person. The way he was speaking about it was uncomfortably close to racist.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
I remember the free campsite in Font, that was awful.  I went only a little way into the woods and there were two women propping each other up back to back shitting.
I remember being horrified on my first trip there in the 90's, it was like tip toeing through a fucking minefield no more than a couple of metres in to the woods surrounding that place.

ferret

• forum abuser
I remember the free campsite in Font, that was awful.  I went only a little way into the woods and there were two women propping each other up back to back shitting.
I remember being horrified on my first trip there in the 90's, it was like tip toeing through a fucking minefield no more than a couple of metres in to the woods surrounding that place.

It was all just toilet paper the boars used to dig the shit up at night and eat it

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Cheers Pete that's been one of the more interesting responses so far!

petejh

• forum hero
Thanks, I know my shit.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Thanks, I know my shit.

El Caganer: so much more interesting than Father Christmas! Although I believe he is Catalan, not Spanish.

Teaboy

• forum hero
In Siurana right now. On the ledge next to Escarmarla someone left a turd  at  the belay. Must have been a climber. Yesterday a spanish  climber urinated at L'Olla next to the start of the route he climbed. Idiots.
That's pretty unnecessary as portal oops have been installed on a number of the pull ins on the way up to Siurana. Supplied by Black Diamond and maintained by the local climbing community which I guess could mean they are now toxic plastic coffins of shit or pristinely clean like they were early last Dec. black Diamond were also organising litter pick ups at the time there and in Margalef. I've never noticed a major issue at either area but obviously anywhere where vans congregate is going to be bad.  There were far fewer vans in Margalef last Nov as they've started charging to stay (in the village site at least).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Definitely cultural differences in attitudes to shit. I remember Toby of this locale telling me about Spanish xmas decoration/traditional character 'La Caganer' - literally a christmas log. Something to do with expelling foulness/celebrating rebirth/from the soil - seriously!

And the Spanish saying before a meal, that goes something along the lines of 'eat, drink and shit well'.

Very interesting, and likely the origin of

JohnM

• junky

It all makes sense now.  I rented an air bnb apartment in Barcelona once.  Inside there was an owl shrine and numerous phalluses includes the key hook and the coat stand.  When I opened the kitchen cupboard there was a figurine bent over curling one out.  I thought it was some horrible skat thing to go with the owls and the cocks but now I know! 

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
sounds like a John Redhead installation

SA Chris

• forum hero
there were two women propping each other up back to back shitting.   

Is this the female equivalent of crossing swords??

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
there were two women propping each other up back to back shitting.   

Is this the female equivalent of crossing swords??

Crossing logs?

This thread is turning into a poo anecdote exchange.  It's strangley compelling...

andy_e

• forum hero
Log pile now surely?

rodma

• forum hero
Log pile now surely?

i think you mean chorizo stack  :-\

SA Chris

• forum hero
I took a shit on a swan once

I pissed on a cow. Got right annoyed.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Me too. Best £80 I spent at Grotty Debbie's Golden Dungeon tho.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Excellent

HaeMeS

• menacing presence
That's pretty unnecessary as portal oops have been installed on a number of the pull ins on the way up to Siurana. Supplied by Black Diamond and maintained by the local climbing community which I guess could mean they are now toxic plastic coffins of shit or pristinely clean like they were early last Dec. black Diamond were also organising litter pick ups at the time there and in Margalef. I've never noticed a major issue at either area but obviously anywhere where vans congregate is going to be bad.  There were far fewer vans in Margalef last Nov as they've started charging to stay (in the village site at least).

Not there anymore!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I went to the crag yesterday with a visiting Spaniard (lovely bloke). The first thing he did on arriving at the crag was take himself off with a shovel to have a crap.

Later in the day, he had to go again - he said his body had got into the annoying habit of dropping three logs a day. I told him about this thread and our general perception that the Spanish are forever shitting over their crags. We laughed and I said it must all be down to him and his three visits per day.

He was adamant that the problem at Spanish crags was due to foreign climbers because, for his local crags in Catalunya, it's the touristy crags that are shit-ridden. I'm not sure he quite got the irony of what he was saying  :lol:

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
To be fair one of the worst I have found was over here, where someone curled out a monster under ultimate retro party. I had to build a little cairn for it like a fallen warlord before I could pull on.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal